Looking for walnut info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_Grande

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a bunch of walnut on our place. Much of it is inmature trees of a foot diamiter or less. I found several today that had a diamiter of about 24=30 inches. I was wondering what size they generaly harvest Walnuts at? I mad a mistake and cut a 10in diamiter one yesterday. It diddnt have a leaf on it but as soon as I got it cut I realized it was still alive. But the ends of the upper branches were rotted. So I think I goofed but. Regardless We are trying to market our trees through a forester, but not having much luck.

I have killed walnuts that measured 50''+, produced 3x20 veneer then 2 second grade saw logs.

I don't think they where anywhere near finished growing. most of the larger trees I cut back east showed all signs of a fast growing healthy tree.

Given the time to grow, & more importantly the climate to grow, I believe all those soft hardwood east coast trees have the ability to get BIG. 200' tall 8'dbh big. Hell the OG chesnuts got a lot bigger than that. . . . .

Rio, I've been loitering on this site for a while and your question finally convinced me to register. 24" to 30" at the stump is about the size I generally harvest for customers. The customers describe them as "huge". They call with dollar signs in their eyes, I tell them not to get their hopes too high, they insist, I cut. My buyer comes out and at the end of the day the customers are typically disappointed with their check. In my region walnuts of this size generally do not bring more than $2.00 per BF for the butt log (8' to 10'). Of course the further up the tree you go, the more knots, the smaller the diameter, the lower the price. That's a best case scenario when there's no worm or rot. I'd wait several years if you can, then take those trees to the bank!

From what I know, you need to start pruning your walnut trees when they are very young in order for them to be worth anything when they are 40 or 50 years old. You want at least 20 feet of clean trunk on those trees for someone to want them, I'm talking no knots, crotches at all. I don't know what your trees look like so not sure what to take from it, I do know that some of those big logs are worth a pretty penny if they are good veneer logs.

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Most of my walnuts are nice and straight with no crotches for 30+ feet and those are the first limbs, but they are not huge by any means. I have 3 that are (i am estamating)30 in across. I am not really in a hurry to cut them problem is we lost 3 large white oaks this year to something. They were all big straight trees. It has us kinda nervous. Trying to decide to cut and take what we can get or hold out and risk loosing more mature trees. Just not real sure what to do.

I don't know of any disease or bugs that are affecting walnut trees here in the US. I wouldn't worry to much about them, every walnut around here I see is perfectly healthy.

except for walnut canker causing walnut quarantines all over Appalachia and the upper midwest, that might be something.
Get a first and second opinion on your timber from professional foresters. And if you cut, I'd recommend something with the word "silviculture" in it over something like "getting the timber"

except for walnut canker causing walnut quarantines all over Appalachia and the upper midwest, that might be something.
Get a first and second opinion on your timber from professional foresters. And if you cut, I'd recommend something with the word "silviculture" in it over something like "getting the timber"

Well said.

Rio Grande, plan your walnuts for future growth. If that's something you want to invest in.

Follow hammerlogging's advice - he knows.

Back