looking to buy new chipper need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg62

Reaction score
We are looking at new chippers and have it down to two, the blizzard 14 by morbark and the bc 1500 vermeer. looking for some input.

We have 2 bandit 254's at work, they are monsters, eat up anything you throw at them, very few problems with them as well. Both of them have the Cummins Diesel in them....very good machine. Heard good things about morbark chippers....my boss only runs bandits. Always had good luck with them.

We have 2 bandit 254's at work, they are monsters, eat up anything you throw at them, very few problems with them as well. Both of them have the Cummins Diesel in them....very good machine. Heard good things about morbark chippers....my boss only runs bandits. Always had good luck with them.

Ive heard cone heads are good.I have bandit and i have heard good things about mobark

I have worked behind a BC 1500 and have to say that it is a beast. I do not own one, but my buddy has it so I really can not say much for maintance issues, but can vouch for its ability to chew some wood. Now I do have a vermeer stumper. It is a great piece of equipment, but i find the service at vermeer extremely unsatisfactory. I feel invisible when I go in there, they are rediculous on service charges and never have the part I am looking for. now that is just my expierience here, don't let that influence your decision. With that being said.....BUY BANDIT!

good luck

Bandit or Morbark. IMO the Bandit is a better chipper when it comes to discs, and customization. However when you start talking drums, and durability... I don't think that there is anything better than a Morbark. Nobody I know has ever had a good thing to say about Vermeer. Heck, one of my friends was a mechanic for Vermeer not that long ago... told me a bunch of stuff that you don't want to hear if you've just purchased a Vermeer.

I own a Vermeer bc1000 and LOVE it! I have had zero problems and have over 800 hours on it. The machine is very easy to work on if I need to adjust tensions or blades, it's very modular with all hoses inside and out of the way and eats anything I can fit in the chute. The 1500 is the upgraded 1400 which they don't make new anymore. My rep up here is more than happy to bring equipment out for review. I would buy another one and probably will with the new tax incentives set out for this year which are similar to when you could write off big ticket items in their entirety.:clap:

I would go with a Bandit as well. I have ran a lot of bandits and other chippers and hands down the bandit was the best of all the different chippers and different size chippers. Great customer service as well. Will never buy another brand.

Moorbark biggies are tough...

They use an older one looks the same as the typhoon, on a 2 axle chassis, at the agency where I volunteer.

Even inmate crews can feed it fast enough to bog it down, and they cant seem to F-it up either. Of course they are watched by both a CDF capitain and a senior guy from the maintenance dept while they use it. But still it seems pretty dang tough and voracious!

Only thing dude from maint. dept does to it each time is svc the air cleaner and grease it. Knives seem to last ok too.

Bandit , Bandit ,Bandit , OK you think i was a dealer on something.I own a 200. and a 250, and have to say there are good machines, Dealer here is pretty good. I also have two carton stump grinders 2700 and 7015 and not problem with them either.( same dealer). I have one skid steer wheel Model its a Vermeer. I have had small problem but its a good little machine do not use it enough But I guess that my problems, But Bandit a good machine.

A month ago I also had it down to either 12" Morbark or Vermeer. Went with the Morbark because Vermeer doesn't offer a winch in the 12". We've had absolutely no problems so far. Its the "Twister" model, w/ a winch. Never going to buy another chipper without a winch. The drum is real easy to access, grease fittings are easy to see, backpack blower can get to everywhere so it stays clean, adjustable tongue is a nice feature also.

I did alot of looking into chippers over the years and the woodsman had the biggest throat size and alot of other good points, however the knives are not staggered thus the machines produce alot of vibration- there is alot of vibration with drums in general. I know a guy thats got 7000 hours on a bandit 280 (big disc), thats alot of friggin hours, if you aint made enough to buy a replacement after 7000 hours you did something very wrong. My little 200+ is 18 years old and still chippin fine (hour meter is broke), its just a proven design- oh yeah, dead spot, blah, blah, next thing we'll expect the chipper fully start and operate itsself, shut down and then finish raking and blowing off too ! Lol, would'nt that be the the thing, maybe run some ropes too. Oh, and I never replaced a single bearing either.

Bandit or Morbark

Two good choices. I know nothing of Vermeer: After reading these posts for a while I've observed more complaints on their service than the other two. I've run a ('93) Bandit 200+ disk chipper with a Ford 6 cyl for 10 years. Bought with 700 hours on it. It makes nice little wood chips. I'd prefer the wiring and ignition switch located further away from the muffler. Other than that, no major repairs. A little maintenance and they go a long way. I see a lot of them in these parts. Morbark's are built heavy. I have the (97) 2400 drum on a single axle, 4 cyl diesel. It's still light enough to pull with a 1-ton dump, but has the balls to chip whole trees 10-inch+ in diameter. On this model the feed wheel stops when the engine RPM's drop. When the engine gets back up to speed, the feed wheel kicks back in. I'd prefer a speed control so the tree fed in more slowly, a feature I'm currenty installing on the Bandit. Of course, if you're buying new(er) these minor short-comings have probably been addressed. Around here, the 2400 on 2 axels with the bigger diesel seems to be the choice of the outfits that take down a lot of big trees and do land clearing.

I have a two-year-old Bandit 250 with the 130 h.p. Caterpillar engine. I have had the chipper in for repair of the auto-feed several times. Just don't get the auto-feed because you don't need it. Also, the digital readout always gets moisture in it and has been replaced three times. Further, the radiator is constantly getting clogged because it sucks up the fine dust that drifts out of the truck. The radiator is located directly behind the truck as opposed to on the side. This contributes to the problem as well as the fact that my chip box is not vented. The blades are fairly easy to replace if you have the right air tools. The anvil hasn't been replaced yet because it looks like a major PITA. It still chips well though. The chipper feeds well and other than the above stated problems, has been trouble free.

I have owned a Morbark Model 13 as well. That is a tough, well built drum chipper. The blades and anvil are very easy to service. The only problem is that it occasionally gets clogged.

I also owned a Vermeer 1250. Piece of junk.

chippers

hey we own 7 chippers from 10 -20 inch vermeers a mobark and brush bandit the bandits have been the best,but our next chipper will be a carlton very simular to bandit talk to john bird have dealt with carlton since 1996 great products and service:greenchainsaw:

Just for info, by comparison to the vermeer, what makes the bandit that much better and what size vermeer in comparison to the bandit do you have/compare? Just wondering.

i'm not even thinking about a bandit. I,m looking at 1500 vermeer and blizzard Morbark

We are looking at new chippers and have it down to two, the blizzard 14 by morbark and the bc 1500 vermeer. looking for some input.

What do you do mostly, trrim, remove clearing...

I've had a couple very bad run-ins wwith Bandit's warentee side when I worked for a big comapny 10 years ago. I swore I would not go back.

Morbark is one of thee heaviest built I've seen. They will take loader feeedding better then mosst.

My favorite chipper for trim/prune with a 1 ton dump is the BC1000....

Reason for Vermeer.

I would highly recommend Vermeer. Our business has used Vermeer chippers and stump grinders since the early 70's. We've had few problems and terrific service. Vermeer's equipment is, in my opinion, far better designed than Morbark's. I think there is more engineering involved in Vermeer's equipment. Morbark seems to throw alot of steel into their designs to make up for lack of design.
We currently operate a BC 1800 with a winch and Cummins engine and love it. I know a guy with over 7000 hours on his Vermeer 1800. He's also very satisfied.
If you go with the 1500, make sure you get the winch. I think a chipper without a winch is like having a chipbox that doesn't dump.
I think you will find Vermeer's vertical rollers really have an advantage over the horizontal designs.
That's my .02.
Good luck.
Gerasimek

Latest posts

Back