Looking to install a wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Englander 30 and used it this past season. I searched two sites looking for good stove for good price and decided on the Englander because of the testimonials I found on my search. I read to much negative about Vogelzang. I would start gathering wood now even if you are not sure you will burn this winter. Otherwise your wood will not have anytime to season.

We heat almost entirely with the Lopi Endeavor. It does a great job! Our house is smaller <1200 square feet, but poorly insulated. It burns a little less than 3 cords/winter with average daily high temperatures somewhere around 40 degrees. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Don't be afraid to spend a little money on a good chimney setup. If the stove is the engine, then the chimney is the transmission. It really makes the system go!

Last edited:
I have a Regency, it's the small one, got it on used on CL for $250. The total install cost about $1000 ( I did it myself).
I really like it, puts out a lot of heat for it's size. I do sometimes wish it had a little bigger firebox to get longer burn time. If you are patient there are some good deals to be had.

i have never seen a failure in a quality steel stove.

You can, but most dealers tell you to put something between the cookware and the stove (like a scrap piece of soapstone, which they can often get) because the stone will stain if it is spilled on. Which I never understood because you can get sinks and counter tops of soapstone, but maybe those have different compositions.

The heat output isn't really affected by the material choice (that's all efficiency and size dependent), just the timing. Like I said with soapstone, you get less in the beginning because of the time it takes to heat up the mass in the soapstone (typically that's called thermal lag) but it holds heat longer than cast iron. It's not uncommon that I'll go to bed with the stove at 450 and find it at 250 in the morning. I do like the window as well.

Regardless of brand, I've seen more failures in steel stoves than cast or stone. I don't know that reliable steel stoves don't exist but I looked only at cast iron and soapstone when I bought last year.

i have seen several quality and non quality cast stoves fail.rumor has it that a Stihl dealer here almost burned down because of a popular brand cast stove.i know the guy but haven't talked with him since the fire.

those are great stoves as well as PE.

I have a Regency, it's the small one, got it on used on CL for $250. The total install cost about $1000 ( I did it myself).
I really like it, puts out a lot of heat for it's size. I do sometimes wish it had a little bigger firebox to get longer burn time. If you are patient there are some good deals to be had.

i bought an englander and it gave out no heat at all.thank goodness HD took that anchor back.

Good time to shop around now.
Know what you want the stove for: 100% heat, entertainment fires, part-time supplemental heating.
What look do you all like ? We like cast iron with easy care porcelain.
Go around to the stove shops in the area, fiddle with the loading doors. Ask what problems they have had with the stove and how they were fixed. Then ASK for references from real-time users with the stove you choose. Can you install the stove and flue yourself ? Many chimneys may not give the EPA stove the draft needed---may need a lining. A new SS Metalbestos flue will easily cost the same as the stove.
How well does the dealer warranty problems? More references.
It's an appliance that you're intimate with :dizzy: for a long long time. Be sure it's one you all enjoy living with.
Hearthnet is a good site for stove ratings, comments, problems, fixes.

i bought an englander and it gave out no heat at all.thank goodness HD took that anchor back.

Wow! Something is wrong with your wood, burning technique, or install because Englander have a reputation for heating people right out of the room they are in.

Please don't take offense, its just that this is the first time I've come across a 'no heat' comment on an Enlgander.

Glad to hear your experiences with a soapstone,we are going to upgrade to a better stove this year, and my wife loves the look of a soapstone.the part about taking awhile to heat up got my attention though,we are often gone the entire day and come home late in the evening and I hate the idea of sitting around for an hour for the stove to heat up,much less the morning fire to take the chill off.
Our house is not real well insulated, and every morning I get up and load the thing down with small split pine to get the fast heat.Generally within 15 minutes the stove is glowing red and makes the waking up effort a little better.Hate to think what a soapstone would do for us.Guess we will scratch that off our list.

Woodstock Soapstone has some discounts going on right now if anyone is interested.

They sent me a $600 discount flyer if anyone is interested in using it. I can pass it on since I won't be purchasing one this year. So with the $600 discount and the $600 energy credit you are just about cutting the cost of Woodstock stove in half. I the model we purchased used for $800 can be purchased right now for $1200 brand new (with discount and energy credit). That is a heck of a deal.

Gary

Deal...from which viewpoint?
On dollars being spent,hardley.
On value...no really.
For durability ...nope.

Compared to what other stoves go for...ok

My question is if there's all of these discounts from the dealer against his mark up profit...what are you really getting?
Dealers normally double the units cost to them for retail.

For the same money you can buy a real furnace that will heat the entire home on half of the wood for 30 years and you would not need power to run a blower if you did not want too.

i have heard good things about them too

Wow! Something is wrong with your wood, burning technique, or install because Englander have a reputation for heating people right out of the room they are in.

Please don't take offense, its just that this is the first time I've come across a 'no heat' comment on an Enlgander.

that is why is was really disappointed.it did have the control on top for the draft.it made no sense tome.i am glad some folks have good luck with them.maybe it was the model i had.seemed very well made but poorly designed.all i know is the PE Summit and Fisher i have work great.the draft control on both is on the bottom.where it belongs.

Reading all these comments, sounds like we got a bunch of wood addicts attempting to get someone else addicted! Man the waters fine, just jump in and start swimming, if you get a stove that don't cut the mustard, keep your eyes open and find another one that you think will do the job. I've had VC, worked great till the gaskets burned out of the seems, then I couldn't control it, that's always a possibility with cast stoves, their usually seemed. I can't say I've had any experience with soap stone, but I know they look real nice. I prefer good old plate steel with brick lining, they heat up fast and the brick holds the heat long after the fire has died down. Mine has a nice air washed glass in the door to make the wife happy, (she don't mind carrying in firewood so long as she can see it burn)!! Good luck on your decision, your be happy no matter what you end up with, cause after you start burning, your hooked!!

We got the Hampton wood burning fireplace insert late last year and so far are happy with it. Unfortunately, due to getting it so late in the year (and not planning for it) we didn't have enough firewood to make it through the winter (working on making sure that doesn't happen this year! :) ).

Pros of the insert: my wife is a lot happier with it... looks nice, better than just the fireplace; fairly easy clean up; family gets to enjoy the fire while it keeps the house warm.

Cons (learned after purchasing and subsequently learning about AS): requires electricity for the blowers to release the heat and warm the house; the temp varies throughout the house (obviously warmer in the rooms with the insert); due to smaller firebox size - more frequent loading required.

Having said that, the temps are still nice in the house (can get it up to 70 on the second floor) and we'd do it again... though would look into possibly getting the small insert for the family room for the visual aspect and then maybe an OWB for really heating the house and water.

Latest posts

Back