Looks like I'm going to need a new 250+kbtu gasification IWB, recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not sure how long those 'G' Heatmasters have actually been around, but they seem to be getting good feedback & reviews. I thought they were an OWB, but just saw note recently at 'another place' about them being able to be used indoors too. From a quick look at specs (I was surprised to see 6"), you might be tight getting it piped into your current chimney thimble, height-wise. But not sure what you are able to do about your thimble height - if you need to do something. I think they're open, also - so should be a more straightforward swap. I would definitely short list it. Also, I don't really have any idea how much any of the ones talked about actually cost - seeing some numbers might be interesting.

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
I agree, reducing down to 6" sounds silly, but $476 per 36" of 12" SS insulated pipe is equally silly and I can't justify tearing down a perfect $2k chimney to replace with a $6k chimney.

I'm not knocking you for asking. Obviously it's a serious constraint. Manufacturers usually don't like to compromise on the flue size very much so if a stove has a 12" flue asking if you can use half the spec'ed size should shake them up.

blakey

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
I have natural gas and it is the backup for the house forced air furnace. However, to keep the house at 62 degrees 4 years ago in february cost me $394 before my shop was built. If I kept the house at 68 and my shop at 65, I would be easily pushing $1000/month in natural gas dec-feb. I will happily feed a boiler for that price.

Gotcha. NG must be cheaper in Ontario as the people I know have much smaller bills.

woodfarmer

woodfarmer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I started with the Empyre 100, had an early model without the cold water protection. Never had a failure. The failure was in not being able to produce heat for very long with only 60000btu. They kept telling me I didn’t need storage, of course you do. So I splurged and bought a Garn Jr. I was quoted $35 k to pipe NG into my place, so at $15 k I thought the Garn was a decent investment. I have propane backup.
I don’t know if I would go this route if I had to,do,it all over again.

Como

ArboristSite Operative
Also have Garns, but looking at your system I might go another way, unless you have money to burn.

If your current set up takes care of most of your load say 80% top it as need ed with Propane whatever best works for you. I have some friends in a commercial set up that do that, the wood boiler basically runs 24/7 but for the times when their demand really shoots up the Propane kicks in.

I saw an Emprye going cheap, sounds like warranty claims took them under.