Loose to Stacked ratio for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose firewood to stacked firewood ratio

• Total voters

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First of all, I want to make sure the question is clear. We all know that a cord is 128 cubic feet. We all know that 128 feet of loosely thrown wood will not stack up to 128 cubic feet.

As a minimum, you'd have to add 20% (so 154 cu ft loose is 128 stacked)

For purposes of selling wood, I'm going to suggest that adding 50% will put you in a safe area where you are not ripping off the customer. So my trailer is 14' x 7.5 x 3' 8". With a level top, no crown (or "heap" on top) it's 384 cu ft. 192 cu ft loose to the cord.

Also, we are not talking about stacking the back of the trailer to make a wall.

I also apologize for duplicating a thread that has previously been discussed, but I haven;t seen one with a poll before.

I like seeing local CL sales cross stacked on pallets. Buying more air than wood.
For sale "rick", "rick row" may as well say $ for whatever I'm gonna give you.
If it doesn't say cord they're not worth dealing with.
Not many to advertise log length. Usually need to know someone in the business for that.

If you want to get an idea for your specific trailer, why not take a known stacked cord and then start tossing it into the trailer. See how much it takes. Or do it in reverse if the trailer if full.....just start stacking and measuring.

FWIW, a tightly stacked full cord, 16" long wood, tossed into those wire basket totes? It takes 4.5 of those totes for one cord. Or 4 totes, tossed it into 2 baskets, stacked it into the other 2. I'm guessing 3.5 of those baskets if stacked.

I agree with the others, take a know amount of already stacked wood and start throwing it in your trailer. If you do that enough times you should have a good idea how much wood is there if you just pull from a pile and throw it on. Add a little more heap to keep some margin and not short them. You could throw wood on your trailer 4 different times and get 4 different amounts evey time. No on complains when they get a little more than they intended.

Btw, I've read there can be as little as 90 cuft of actual wood in a 128 cuft of stacked wood.

From information I've gathered over the years I use:
1/2 cord tossed =90 cubit feet.
1 cord tossed = 180 cubit feet.

I do not stack the tailgate. That would alter the figures.

I've heard the number of 190 cu ft equals a well stacked cord. I'd say it depends on the size of splits too. I hauled a load of tops and those nested in nicely compared to larger splits that don't nest so well.

I go by the Maine state law. I have photo copy's in my truck with measurements of my dump body. In 6 years only two people have asked about it But it does give them an idea of what their getting.

Maine law provides for scaling of firewood-length wood, either round or split, on a "thrown in" basis. We think these suggested measurements are a good rule of thumb to use for selling firewood in any state.

Length of wood in the thrown cord. Volume required to stack as a full cord.
12" or 16" wood 180 cubic feet
24" wood 195 cubic feet
A thrown cord of 12" or 16" wood will occupy 180 cubic feet; 24" wood will require 195 cubic feet to contain a cord.

Maine law provides for scaling of firewood-length wood, either round or split, on a "thrown in" basis. We think these suggested measurements are a good rule of thumb to use for selling firewood in any state.

Length of wood in the thrown cord. Volume required to stack as a full cord.
12" or 16" wood 180 cubic feet
24" wood 195 cubic feet
A thrown cord of 12" or 16" wood will occupy 180 cubic feet; 24" wood will require 195 cubic feet to contain a cord.
Why would 24 be any different as a stacked 24 inch cord is only 4 by 16 feet row vrs 16 inch 4 at 24 foot row I have thrown both on my one ton dump and could not tell any difference except 24 inch being a joy to stack lol.

Loose wood in a truck or trailer also varies depending on how it got put in there. I hand load my truck for all of my deliveries and 2 cords fills it up- I know because I took wood I stacked and measured and tossed it in to see how it looked loose. One time a few years ago, a guy was selling cords of split oak for $80 picked up. I bought a few loads- as many as he could produce just to resell. His cords were stacked and measured. We used the bucket on his backhoe to load the truck and I couldn't fit 2 cords in my truck like I normally can for the life of me. Being dumped in by the bucket added a lot more air between pieces.

A CORD =128CFT. X .30% = 166.4cft....... making a 30% increase is what's common practice for lose bulk to stacked cordage firewood products for delivery to the contracts I bind in. I sell both lose an stacked loads depending on the clients wishes... selling a lose cord I load to 170 cubic feet for "GP".....

I've helped friends make firewood and the average recreational fireplace/firepit burner grossly overestimates how much wood they have. Most folks will say they have 1/2 cord when they have a tossed short box pickup load level with the top of the box. You actually need a stacked load with a decent heap to be a true half cord.

Back