lord the heat enough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's hot everywhere. It's probibly 100 degrees here with 100 percent humidity. Burns your eyes it's so hot and bright.

I finally decided that any heat index over 105 we're taking off. I work year round (we were off only 20 days last year), so I'm not going to kill myself for an extra few days of work when the temps and humidity are this high.

This latest heat wave came on too quick compared to the mild weather before it.

Called it a day at 2 yesterday and at noon today. At least tomorrow will be the last of it for sometime. Has gotten pretty bad. Hope everyone is staying safe and hydrated that is if you can put it in faster then you are sweating it out.

This heat seperates the men from the boys.

10hr days on Mon and Tues, 8hr day today Wed. We keep on rolling, slower and more breaks, no shirts, and each crew recieves 48 bottles of water, two bags of ice, and a huge cooler.

Its a heat advisory for people that are not conditioned(in shape) for the heat. If you work hard and with trees every day you should be well conditioned and able to tackle the work as long as you stay hydrated, hydration is they key.

Looking forward to tomorrow. 100+ degrees ... Job#1 monster Tulip Poplar to remove Job #2 clear a house from overhang Job#3 & 4 stump jobs. No doubt about it that it will get done and ill be in bed early tomorrow night.:laugh:

John464 said:
This heat seperates the men from the boys.
The heat separates the smart from the not so smart also, I live a little south of Alaska, Queen Charlotte Islands, cool and quiet, awesome, about 65 right now (2pm, pst).

Yeah it is rough. I would much rather climb in winter than in this type of heat-you can put more clothes on to keep warm but you can only take off so much before you get in trouble.:) Fortunately it doesn't get this hot often. Makes me glad I don't work any further south. Just got to keep the water and gatorade flowing.

I have nothing to prove by working when it's really oppressive.
I'd rather enjoy a day off at home with my wife & kids, than work myself ragged during a heat wave.
(I've been averaging 65-70hr/wk so it nice to spend some time at home)

I don't care how well conditioned you are. When it gets real hot it takes a toll on your body and mind. I'd rather not push my guys into making avoidable mistakes for just a few extra days of revenue. In turn, my employees respect me more and also treat the equipment better.

How you guys going for cramps?

I suck on these, all day long when the heat is on. Take 10 a day if you need too, cant OD.

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/page/shop/flypage/product_id/6558

Also, you better watch what you wear, getting chafed between the legs etc is no fun, cotton is safer over nylon and cream application as preventative.

Also, watch your sox as same there, good sox.

I carry a towel with me and quite often hose off or jump in the customers pool. Wear sweat bands, 3 a day, and those bright yellow shirts I wear are moisture control and dont feel like a big wet sack on ya.

Force youself to drink lot's of water and gatorade early before work, and more before climbing. Then when it's ninety five at nine o'clock am and you're up in the sun struggling with stupid shagbark hickory topping for removal and don't feel like taking the time to pull a jug up, you can still make it cause your prehydrated. I made that word up. Hit the river by noon and stay in the water for hours. No booze.

Missouri

Here we are seeing heat indices up to 115. THe lack of rain is also tough, I have over 2500 trees I care for in need of water. (some are irrigated thankfully) We are battleing drought, Honey locust mites, 2-spotted mites, and the list gores on. All we need now is a little emerald ash borer. (kidding)

hey

hey bob hows it going down there? doing anymore training this year up north with AM? keep in touch Evan

Pottasium pills every morning year round for cramps and charlie horses. Or lot's of bananas. Also a multi vitamin.

I love winter

If I'm gonna sweat I'm gonna sweat, drank 2.5 gallons of liquid in 4hrs and one small yellow piss as result! I work all out or nothing, last few days are nothing.

Imagine the paving or hot tar roofing crews!

My head swirls. I am soaking wet all day. Never can get the dirt off. But all in all I like it. Got to pay the bills. I feel much better getting out and working in it than say, getting in and out of the car with nice clothes on.

Pretty dang hot, went in Mon and Tues, blew off today and probably t'morrow too. Supposed to break on thurs.

I am sick of sweat in my ears. Wearing hardhat with muffs the sweat is running like a river right into ears. Any suggestions. Do like the sweat band idea.

Back