Lost my pet milling area, but got a good load of boards anyway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After a long absence from the woods, I was finally able to take a day off and head to my favorite milling patch, the clearcut/slash-burn that went wrong and resulted in 20+ acres of blow downs. I was greeted by the message in the picture below.

State regs prohibit amateur woodcutting in an area where there is a timber sale, so my favorite milling patch is now off limits to me. Darned ! ! ! :cry: But, at least now the state is salvaging the blow downs instead of burning them like they did last year.
csm5_6_14_09.jpg

Fortunately, I had skidded out several logs last fall, and stashed them where I hoped no one would find them. Firewood cutters had "stole" one of my stashes, but a few smaller logs survived. They seemed to be out of the marked sale area, and there were no markings on "my" logs, so I figured I had a right to utilize them, since, after all, I had done all the hard work of limbing, bucking, and skidding them, prior to the timber sale.

And the nice thing was, I could back right up to them. :clap: This pair of 12 foot douglas fir were quickly turned into flatsawn slabs.

BTW, the little blue flowers in the foreground are camas, a native wildflower that was an important food for the Nez Perce natives who called this place their home before it was stolen from them.
csm4_6_14_09.jpg

Then I moved to the other stash where I milled a 12 footer and a 10 footer. Once again, I could drive right up to the logs. The logs had already been limbed so I could get right to work sawing boards.

This is one of the few pictures that does justice to the steep terrain. This is very typical for my area. Also note the so-called road.
csm3_6_14_09.jpg

Look ma, no support boards at the ends ! ! ! Once in a great while, when a log is very straight, I can get away with skipping the end boards and instead, just screwing the guide board directly to the top of the log. That saves quite a bit of set-up time.
csm2_6_14_09.jpg

By noon I had cut up all the logs in my stash, and had 16 good slabs, as well as a little firewood. That is a new personal record for me. Usually I work hard to get 12 slabs in a full day's CSMing. Having the logs already prepped and in a clear space that I could drive right up to really made a difference.
csm1_6_14_09.jpg

That sucks. At least you're allowed to mill on other public land though. Up here it's technically illegal to mill on Crown land without a small-scale salvage permit, though I haven't heard of anyone getting in too much trouble over it, just told to stop. They want to collect stumpage fees on pretty much everything they can these days, so nothing is free. But at least where I'm at there are endless backroads and it's easy to be "careful"...

We have a plant called Death Camas up here, though it's fairly rare this far north. It lives up to its name too, just a couple plants can take a cow down. Which is the problem - its favorite places to grow are grasslands and fields. I don't believe we have any purple-flowered Camas plants up here, but those ones look nice.

Hey mtngun, any bighorn sheep down where you are? Also, we probably share the same types of timber - western larch, doug fir, ponderosa pine. What do you use doug fir slabs for? I'd like to get into milling but really am more interested in hardwoods like walnut - of which there is little available here (Coeur d'Alene). Thanks for the pics.

Hey mtngun, any bighorn sheep down where you are? Also, we probably share the same types of timber - western larch, doug fir, ponderosa pine. What do you use doug fir slabs for? I'd like to get into milling but really am more interested in hardwoods like walnut - of which there is little available here (Coeur d'Alene). Thanks for the pics.

I haven't seen any sheep yet but they are supposed to be a stone's throw away in the Snake River canyon. I live on a plateau bordered by the Snake River canyon on one side and the Salmon River canyon on the other. Pretty neat area.

It's a lot dryer here than Coeur d'Alene. We average 22" of precip annually, so drought tolerant species like the ponderosa pine predominate.

We used to have larch (or tamarack, as it is sometimes called) but it was eradicated from this area by short sighted logging practices. Now we have about 70% ponderosa, 20% white/grand fir, and 10% douglas.

Like you, I am way jealous of the guys who have access to hardwoods. However ...... there are hardwoods on private property in the river canyons and in the Lewiston area, if you are willing to drive that far. Last time I looked, there was a Craig's list ad offering a couple of walnut trees in Lewiston to anyone who wanted to haul them off.

I may have a line on a dead walnut tree at a Salmon River ranch, we'll see........

Douglas fir can be used for darned near anything. My neighbor, a custom woodworker, uses douglas to make high end doors and cabinets. Yes, Douglas Fir ! ! ! Normally, I don't like the look of douglas wood, because it tends to have splotches of orange and green, but my neighbor has developed a finish that I can admire. First, he "distresses" the wood with a electric wire brush that highlights the grain, then he applies a dark grey stain that masks the natural orange color, resulting in a handsome rustic, weathered appearance. He also uses douglas for painted cabinetry. He likes working with douglas because it is stable, strong (for a softwood), and cheap.

Some people use douglas for flooring, though I can't see using it in a high traffic area. I've yet to floor my house and am debating whether I should use my CSM'd douglas for the bedroom floors.

I've been using my douglas to make shelves and benches in my tool shed and in my shop.

Next year I'll need to build several rock bucks for a fence, and douglas will get the nod (we don't have any cedar in this area, so the local ranchers use douglas for fencing).

Mainly I am accumulating lumber that will be used to build a woodshed/barn, if I can ever find time to start on that project. In the meantime, I keep accumulating lumber. Believe me, the lumber will get used. When you have access to free lumber, you find all kinds of uses for it.:)

You can make beautiful rustic furniture out of bug killed ponderosa pine, so don't let the lack of hardwoods stop you from getting into a CSM.

Here is a good site about making furniture from CSM'd ponderosa.bug killed pine

I forgot to mention that I am also using my CSM'd Douglas for some of my house trim, and as board and batten siding. Normally I cut the siding/trim boards 1" thick and cut framing lumber a full 2" thick.

If I ever get halfway done with any of these projects, I'll post some pictures.

I started CSMing because I wanted to build furniture out of bug-killed ponderosa, which is abundant in my neighborhood. Then I realized that I would have to wait a year or two for the milled wood to dry, and I needed a place to store the boards while it was drying, so now I have to mill lumber for a woodshed.

See how that works ? One project leads to another, and you are never done.

Mtngun, Douglas Fir makes absolutely beautiful flooring and with the proper hardcoat finish will wear very well too. I might not recommend using it around a dining table or bar etc. due to heavy chairs sliding around on it. But I don't think foot traffic should be much of an issue. I'm planning on doing a bunch of flooring in 6" wide planks, tongue & grooved and then drilled and screwed down, and then buttoning the holes. A local timber-framing company has a bunch of this type in their demo house and it looks great. Sure, it likely won't last quite as long as Oak, but it'll be a fraction of the cost and will be a lot of fun to do. And even then it should still outlast me if taken care of.

That's some pretty nice pine furniture there. I might just have to take my aunt up on her offer of any dead ponderosas I wanted on her 100+ acres down in the Okanagan. Only problem is that it's a four-plus hour drive to get there. I guess the lumber mills down there won't take it because the knots are too big for structural lumber or plywood, not to mention that her property is steep and would be difficult to log selectively.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law drew a bighorn tag two years ago and rafted the middle fork of the salmon river where he harvested a dandy ram.

Blue stain ponderosa is definately nice stuff. I work for a commercial tree service and also come across a fair amount of maple. I really should get a mill and start slabbin some of it. Otherwise it goes through the chipper or cut into firewood.

I work for a commercial tree service and also come across a fair amount of maple. I really should get a mill and start slabbin some of it. Otherwise it goes through the chipper or cut into firewood.

Maple goes through the chipper ? That makes me want to cry.:cry:

On another note, I visited the State Land office today to see about renewing my wood permit and to ask about timber sales in the area (because I'm not allowed to cut in a commercial timber sale area).

Permits are now only good for one month. Last year it was 3 months. The year before it was unlimited. Arrrrgh. :mad:

The easy going forester who once told me "your permit says only 2 cords, but there is plenty of wood up there, so TAKE ALL YOU WANT" has moved to a different position, and replaced by a new guy. The new guy is on vacation for 2 weeks. In the meantime, no one knows what is going on in my neighborhood and they didn't want to give me a permit until the new forester is back from vacation.

I pleaded, begged, whined, and argued until they caved and gave me a permit anyway. I promised to stay away from anything that looked like a timber sale and I promised to contact the forester as soon as he is back from vacation.

In general, the state seems happy to sell wood in my neighborhood, it's just a question of getting the right permits and following their goofy rules. I try not to cheat any more than I have to.:)

Maple goes through the chipper ? That makes me want to cry.:cry:

On another note, I visited the State Land office today to see about renewing my wood permit and to ask about timber sales in the area (because I'm not allowed to cut in a commercial timber sale area).

Permits are now only good for one month. Last year it was 3 months. The year before it was unlimited. Arrrrgh. :mad:

The easy going forester who once told me "your permit says only 2 cords, but there is plenty of wood up there, so TAKE ALL YOU WANT" has moved to a different position, and replaced by a new guy. The new guy is on vacation for 2 weeks. In the meantime, no one knows what is going on in my neighborhood and they didn't want to give me a permit until the new forester is back from vacation.

I pleaded, begged, whined, and argued until they caved and gave me a permit anyway. I promised to stay away from anything that looked like a timber sale and I promised to contact the forester as soon as he is back from vacation.

In general, the state seems happy to sell wood in my neighborhood, it's just a question of getting the right permits and following their goofy rules. I try not to cheat any more than I have to.:)

Yeah our chipper takes 13" diameter wood and if it fits we chip it - quickest, most profitable way I guess. Anything bigger than that gets cut into firewood. It makes me sad too.

Gov't bureaucracy is so wonderful. I wish they ran all businesses. That way everything would run smoothly and efficiently...............Oh, wait.....

Mtngun, Douglas Fir makes absolutely beautiful flooring and with the proper hardcoat finish will wear very well too. I might not recommend using it around a dining table or bar etc. due to heavy chairs sliding around on it. But I don't think foot traffic should be much of an issue. I'm planning on doing a bunch of flooring in 6" wide planks, tongue & grooved and then drilled and screwed down, and then buttoning the holes. A local timber-framing company has a bunch of this type in their demo house and it looks great. Sure, it likely won't last quite as long as Oak, but it'll be a fraction of the cost and will be a lot of fun to do. And even then it should still outlast me if taken care of.

That's some pretty nice pine furniture there. I might just have to take my aunt up on her offer of any dead ponderosas I wanted on her 100+ acres down in the Okanagan. Only problem is that it's a four-plus hour drive to get there. I guess the lumber mills down there won't take it because the knots are too big for structural lumber or plywood, not to mention that her property is steep and would be difficult to log selectively.

Brmorgan

I could help your aunt out if she had some ponderosa pine 4 foot or larger. I live in the north ok. I have been looking for some large pine 4 feet or larger. I may have one but the guy wants me to fall it and its leaning towards a shed.:cry:

Let me know if you need a hand. :givebeer:

Always makes sense to "try not to cheat"! :) I like the picks of the old chevy too. We hauled many tons of wood out of the hills with one of those-beautiful country too!

Brmorgan

I could help your aunt out if she had some ponderosa pine 4 foot or larger. I live in the north ok. I have been looking for some large pine 4 feet or larger. I may have one but the guy wants me to fall it and its leaning towards a shed.:cry:

Let me know if you need a hand. :givebeer:

Well I haven't seen any that are 4' dia., but I haven't exactly searched the property over. Just been up the main road and on a couple side trails and skid roads from when they did pull some beetle-killed Douglas Fir out a few years ago. Next time I'm down that way I'll try to get a better look around. She's in Armstrong BTW. I was just down there last weekend but only as a quick stopover on the way to Kelowna, so no time to worry about trees! I'll for sure keep you in mind for when I do get down there to work. She usually ends up putting us to work cutting smaller dead trees near the house for firewood when we go visit tho... But I can't complain, I always get food out of the deal.

I might just have to take my aunt up on her offer of any dead ponderosas I wanted on her 100+ acres down in the Okanagan. Only problem is that it's a four-plus hour drive to get there. I guess the lumber mills down there won't take it because the knots are too big for structural lumber or plywood, not to mention that her property is steep and would be difficult to log selectively.

Hey Brmorgan

Theres an outfit in the Enderby area that was taking dead ponderosa for rail way ties up to last winter - they are mostly doing hemlock now. Logs had to have a minimum 8" top. Not sure if they are still doing it. Probably not worth the effort if you can't drive a hook truck right up to the stumps. I don't think they were paying much more than $30-35/m3.

Man guys this really hurts. Here in southern Michigan we have mianly hard woods oak,cherry,maple hard,soft and suger some walnut. I'm new to milling and I'm in heaven.I don't need a permit got fourty acers of them that i own and freinds that have much more land that they say come get what you want just cut the top up for their fire wood.

Beaveradict:givebeer:

Well I haven't seen any that are 4' dia., but I haven't exactly searched the property over. Just been up the main road and on a couple side trails and skid roads from when they did pull some beetle-killed Douglas Fir out a few years ago. Next time I'm down that way I'll try to get a better look around. She's in Armstrong BTW. I was just down there last weekend but only as a quick stopover on the way to Kelowna, so no time to worry about trees! I'll for sure keep you in mind for when I do get down there to work. She usually ends up putting us to work cutting smaller dead trees near the house for firewood when we go visit tho... But I can't complain, I always get food out of the deal.

It will be to hot to run a saw anyway for the next couple months. Good deal on the food. :cheers:

I have Doug-fir floors in about 2/3 of my house. I definitely would not do it again. It is way too soft. I sure looks good when it is first put down, but man does it get beat up.

Latest posts

Back