Louisiana Cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got word today that we may be headed to Thibodaux, LA to cut a job for Erickson Air Crane. Don't know too much about it yet, but heard it is in an ankle deep swamp and the trees are second growth. Heard also that might have to wear tights under our jeans to keep the leeches from latching on and that there may be some snakes. Anyone have experience in this country? Just curious of what it is like. Unlike around here at least the ground will be flat.

I lived down in that country for a couple years. I wasn't logging then so I can't tell you anything about cutting cypress. If you're working in the Atchafalaya basin you'll have lots of mosquitos,some snakes,the occasional alligator and enough humidity to sweat you skinny real quick. You'll also find some of the best food in the world,particularly if you like seafood. The cajun people are some of the best I ever met anywhere. Lots of dances and music,good beer,food on the ground,hunting and fishing. If it had mountains and doug fir I probably would have stayed. Isn't there anyplace Erickson doesn't go? Have fun. Bob

southern hospitality

Southern hospitality is genuine and honestly refreshing. That is the people. What lives in and near the swamps more than makes up for it.
Take nail polish; it’s for the red bugs (aka chiggers). They get under your skin and live off of you. Their excrement is what causes you to itch. Cover that itching spot with nail polish and suffocate the ba____ds. Taking baths in pure Purex works too.
Think of fire ants as pets. Train them to get along with each other. (Move a shovel full from one nest to another and then back again. Get out a burger and a beer and watch).
Mosquitoes. Gnats are actually worse.
Their are three main types of vines. Their Latin names are:
1) The Wait a minute.
2) The G___ Da____it.
3) The Velcro bush.
The fungus that grows between your toes in your sopping wet leather boots doubles as a Cajun hot sauce.
Ya poo boy. Ya gonna be lonin' for a steep hillside by the third day.

smokechase ll...I forgot about the gnats and the fire ants. If we keep talking about all this stuff Treeslingr probably won't go anywhere farther south than Red Bluff. Did we forget about the cockroaches? You remember, the ones that carry off a whole po-boy slung over one shoulder and a sixpack of Jax in each hand?:laugh: :laugh:

boboak said:
smokechase ll...I forgot about the gnats and the fire ants. If we keep talking about all this stuff Treeslingr probably won't go anywhere farther south than Red Bluff. Did we forget about the cockroaches? You remember, the ones that carry off a whole po-boy slung over one shoulder and a sixpack of Jax in each hand?:laugh: :laugh:
Geez Fella's - I'm still freaked out about the snakes. Wish I could draw unemployment!

This time of the year you won't have to worry about snakes, or chiggers, or alligators, leaches? yes, and the weathers about like out west, unlike the summer hot and hummid. good luck.

Louisiana adventure

Tights under jeans = unmentionable (& unpleasant) rash in a very short time. Spandex makes you sweat and most tights don't "breath".

Nice shot of Tom waist deep in snake infested blackwater!

Gators, snakes, and what about snapping turtles? Sounds like fun! The general rule with these critters is don't bother them and they won't bother you. Keep your eyes open and don't move too fast and you'll be fine. If you're extra worried about snakes you could pick up some leather (or kevlar?) gators or chaps.

This page is full of real world wisdom on matters of working around venomous snakes:
Comments on protection from snakebite in the field

A couple of things to note from the above page:
1. Most people who spend a lot of time in snake habitat never had a snake strike at them.
2. People who had snakes strike at them weren't paying attention to where they were putting their feet while walking.
3. People who actually suffered a bite were usually wearing sneakers or sandals. A bare ankle is a typical place to take a bite.

My favorite entry was about a herpetologist who prefers to go barefoot in the rainforest. He said that a bare foot has a much lighter touch when it lands on the snake and the snake will be much less likely to strike than at a foot covered with a heavy shoe :)

A guy who works in heavy duty cottonmouth habitat says he says he sees them all the time and they've never struck at him. He says mosquitos are much more of a problem than snakes.

The vast majority of venomous snake bites in the U.S. result from people picking the snakes up with their bare hands. My favorite snake bite story is about a guy who killed a rattler he found in his backyard by cutting off its head. He picked the head up to take it as a souvenir and it bit him on the finger :) Duh!!
-moss

Last edited:
Treeslingr'...Just raggin' on you a little about Louisiana. Its really a pretty good place...just a hell of a lot different than the kind of country you normally work in. Looks at it this way...if you go and don't like it you can just bunch it and come home. If you don't go you might always wish that you had. Which is worse?
What I said about the people and the food being really great was true. The people might have changed a little but probably not much...they like the way they live and it shows. The food...it can only be found down there. I've eaten Cajun food in California...kinda like having chop suey at McDonalds,it just ain't the same. Bob

boboak said:
Treeslingr'...Just raggin' on you a little about Louisiana. Its really a pretty good place...just a hell of a lot different than the kind of country you normally work in. Looks at it this way...if you go and don't like it you can just bunch it and come home. If you don't go you might always wish that you had. Which is worse?
What I said about the people and the food being really great was true. The people might have changed a little but probably not much...they like the way they live and it shows. The food...it can only be found down there. I've eaten Cajun food in California...kinda like having chop suey at McDonalds,it just ain't the same. Bob
We just started a 250K BF salvage job yesterday and the snow is up to my arss and I am 6'3". Right now the swamp sounds pretty good! The way I see it is that there will be nothing happening around here for a while. So what the hell - I will never go on my own - might as well go for work.

You should have a good time if you can finish it before hot weather.Cant get any good cypress falling stories in Cal.;)
If you fly down, check the length of your grinder stand. You probably already know, but it would be best to take all the extra's and spares with you.
This should be a perfect time to go, almost as good as a trip to the Bahama's.

If you are there when it starts warming up, and the bugs come out here are a few tricks I learned when I was in that part of the country.

"Chiggers". If you are there in the spring, you will get chiggers. When you do, bathe that area of your body liberaly with diesel fuel they will go away. Chiggers tend to attack you where your clothing is tight, top of your socks, elastic band in your underwear, etc.
The best way to avoid being attacked by various insects is to take sulfer tablets, it makes you stink when you sweat, and no one will want to be too close to you, but neither will the bugs.

Snakes. In the spring female Cotton Mouths can be agressive (I have actually had one chase me). Carry a firearm, if you can find one a .410 "snake charmer" was designed for this.

Now for the good news. This time of year you won't have to worry about any of the above. ;)

Andy

Latest posts

Back