Lovin' the Big Wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been burning branches all of this burning season, as I have about 6 chords of limbs that I stacked after the power company cleared my power lines. I hated to waste this heat source in a brush pile - so I cut it up into 3 foot long pieces and stacked them next to my OWB. I have burned about 3 chords of sticks so far this year - but I am not sure my measurements are very accurate as the limbs have lots of air space between them.

With it being the coldest night of the year last night (-3) I was not sure if a load of sticks would burn all night - so I went out to the real wood pile and got a tractor bucket load of 2 foot long rounds that were about a foot in diameter. I raked the coals to the front and stacked as many of the rounds as I could get into the back of my Woodmaster 4400.

The logs burned much slower than the small limbs (2-4" dia.) and my blower was running more....however when I went out to stoke the fire berore leaving for work I was pleasantly surprised to see that about 1/3rd of the wood was still in the OWB. With the limbs I would have been down to just a few coals. It will be nice when I have all these limbs burned up.....as it really does take a lot of them to keep my house warm.

Limb pile at the start of the season:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I rarely ever fool with anything under 3 inches.. But then again I cut right here on the farm. if I had to travel for firewood I might be tempted to bring the twigs home too.

This will be my last year fooling with limbs......but I hated to just waste all this wood. This pile of limbs will probably keep me warm all winter, and for next year I will be using the larger rounds that are in the metal carport.

That is a nice wood pile for being all limbs. In the end it all burns and provides heat!

as I have about 6 chords of limbs

Lemmie guess: Emajor/A major/B7/F#minor/B7/Emajor?

You been pickin' your banjo too much. You play a chord and burn a cord. :)

But seriously, I burn the small stuff too. Don't like wasting heat. Though I don't heat with an OWB.

Dooohhh! I meant cord....not chord!

And actually......I have not been playing my banjo nearly as often as I should.

Well, if you were a little closer I would bring my fiddle and mandolin over and help ya get them banjer strings stretched out again. By the way, I used to have a big old Black & Tan like the one in your avatar. His name was Moses and he hit the scales at 125# and had ears that hung down 13". He's gone now but was the largest B&T I have ever come across to date.

Best regards,

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Well, if you were a little closer I would bring my fiddle and mandolin over and help ya get them banjer strings stretched out again. By the way, I used to have a big old Black & Tan like the one in your avatar. His name was Moses and he hit the scales at 125# and had ears that hung down 13". He's gone now but was the largest B&T I have ever come across to date.

Best regards,

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Moses was a big boy!

Our dog Sarah is 82 pounds and is a real sweetheart...she is the bestest dog that anyone could ever ask for. She will ride around in the truck or trailer, go for long walks in the woods, go camping, canoing - or as shown in the Avatar she will even stand on a big hunk of sytrofoam in the middle of our pond if I ask her to. And if you aren't going to do something......20 hours of sleep a day is just fine with her!

A blistering -3?... At -30 with the wind chill you don't have much sympathy from me:laugh:
For me if it's not to much work, if it burns I will use it.I hate to waste it too.
It's fine for the NOT so cold nights.

Oh by the way at 10:10 Am it's warmed up to Windchill: -21 °F

Last edited:
Speaking of the big stuff..........

My brother and I let our Stihl Magnums eat yesterday. Never cold handling wood this size!! How do you get the image inserted into the text? I can only figure out how to attach...............:confused:

This will be my last year fooling with limbs......but I hated to just waste all this wood. This pile of limbs will probably keep me warm all winter, and for next year I will be using the larger rounds that are in the metal carport.

You did the right thing. That's way too much wood to waste in a brush fire. Even in an OWB, it's worth the added effort. :cheers: Free wood doesn't always come along in the best size, or the best species.

Well here is what the limbs looked like just prior to cutting them up and stacking. Love the 192T for this small stuff.
attachment.php

derwood91. The way I get the picture to show is to get it uploaded like you have done, then click on the link that you have created and open the picture. Then to up to the link/web address that the picture has when opened and right click and copy it. Then close the picture and go just above the window where you type the text in for your reply and you will see a little yellow icon that looks like a postcard that is for inserting images. When you click on it a little window will open at the top of your screen - paste the web address in that window and close it....and the photo will be posted into your response. You can try it on the load of wood you posted.....and it sould come up. The photo above doesn't have the link show in this thread as it actually came from a different thread - it is possible to go back and find photos and repost them - they don't even have to be your photos. They just need to have a web address linked to this site.

Last edited:
Back