Lowballers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's exactly what I did a couple weeks ago when I found a Jonsered 2152C. The guy knocked it down to $110 so I grabbed it. I don't think he knows or cares what the difference is between pro saws and homeowner saws.

Yeah, some people just want a quick sale. They just want it gone so they can be done with it.
I've done that.

I listed a really nice clean MS 250 16" bc, new air filter and sprocket for $200. Guy texted early Saturday wanted it.. I asked if Monday ok, daughter graduating . Trims trees, saw broke, needs today. I said ok meet at local McDonald's. He driving well over an hour. Offes $100, $125, $150. I told him no. I don't have $200. I told them have a safe trip back. I think they needed money for meth. Don't need to sell. It's the saw that I will loan out. Does about everything they need to do. Send extra chain and Trufuel.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm a firm believer of haggling on just about everything I buy on Craigslist/ forums, except for services.
Cars/trucks, log splitters, saws, guns, ammo... absolutely there's no harm in trying to save yourself a couple of bucks. But what you can't do is be an ass hole about it.

I've sold over 140k worth of stuff on Craigslist over the years, boats, box trucks, dump trucks, cars, atv's you Name it I've probably sold it. I think I didn't haggle on price with ~5 items. Everything else was listed with some type of wiggle room. If I wanted $600 I'd post it for $700. That's the nature of the beast.

I've low balled a few times....I went to check out a 91 f350 stake body dump truck that was listed for $5500. I had $5500 plus tax and tag money with me. Went to check the truck out, it needed a ton of stuff, right around $2500 worth of repairs, tires, brakes, dump piston leaked, rust holes in the floor etc... The market was soft at the time and it was the beginning of winter. (Worst time to sell a dump truck) I told him thanks for your time I wasn't interested, turned and started walking. He said make me an offer. I declined because I was going to offer him $2,000 and didn't want to insult him. He says to me as I get in my truck, I'd consider $3,000. I told him I was thinking $2,000. He said I can't do $2,000 I said I'd do $2,250 as I started my truck. He said follow me to the tag place.

I got the truck for $2250 just for asking, literally half price. I fixed it up and sold it mid spring ( best time to sell a dump truck) for $5700. I intended on keeping the truck but the electric over Hydraulic hoist was too lame to dump a couple of loads I had in it. I was upfront with the issue and a mulch yard bought it from me.

Over the years I have actually done pretty well selling on CL.
I had a nice power amp that I bought used on CL about 20 years ago. At that time the amp sold new for 1,500 but I payed 500 cash. I used it for about 10 years then I stopped using it so it sat in a closet for years. Put it on CL and ran the ad for over a year at 500 bucks.
Yeah I know I was asking the same as I payed years before. But the unit was in mint condition and worked perfectly.
That also left room for haggling.
At the new year, CL dumps all your ads from the previous year and you have to start over. Because I hadn't had a single reply in over a year I didn't renew the ad for 2017. In Feb I got a call asking about the amp and the guy came over and started to low ball me offering 400. That would have been a good sell at 400 but I held my ground and got him up to 450. SOLD!
Payed 500, used it for 10 years, sold it 20 years after I bought it for 450. I'd say I did well on that deal.

I bought an used canoe for $450. Retail price was $3500. It was a Langford 18'6" Kevlar tripping canoe. Top of the line and only used lightly in great shape.
I drove for 2 hours, saw it and paid the asking price from the old fellow.
I used it a lot for over ten years and listed it one Fall. It sat on Kijiji for over 3 months until two guys bought it one cold January day for $1800, my asking price.

I have listed several saws that I wanted to get rid of and buy new. A 056 super that about ten hours of use on since a complete over haul and a bar that has about two chains worth of use. I totaled up the parts of crank bearings, piston, cylinder, seals, carburetor kit, bar, chain, starter rope, and new ignition at more than $500. After listing it for $600 was offered $200, no decided to keep using it. With wood deliveries it is the same. Offers come all the time for a cord of Oak at $250 when it usually sell for twice that. Thanks

Kind of a lengthy while back a person contacted me about buying firewood. I knew of this person somewhat but didn't know much about them. They had money but were extremely stingy with it, they always whined about "how expensive things are" but then goes out and buys a $60k+ pickup and a side by side atv for their personal use. For 2 seasons I sold wood to them, the first season wasn't too bad, but the next one is when things went downhill. They started hemming and hawing about how "too many pieces of wood were being cut too long" or "wasn't being split small enough/too small", etc. (they were using a woodstove insert for a fireplace as a primary heat source because they didn't want to use the furnace too much because propane was "too expensive" them.) Then wanted me to come over and split a bunch of wood they bought from someone with a OWB who quit using it due to age/health reasons and when it was done I told them how much I wanted they said "I was charging them 'too much' for that" and paid me less for it. That was the last straw along 2 other things. First was I got a call from them shortly after the splitting lowballing about some other wood they were going to buy from another person who was quitting due to age/health. When I asked them what it was they said "It's all hardwood that's been stored outside uncovered for 5 years for $x amount a pickup load because it's cheaper than what I was charging and if I was ok with that". The other thing was they had had some of their woods logged over the winter and wanted me to come over and cut up all the cull logs and tops for them. They called me about this in June/July, they had had the woods logged over the winter and insisted that "all that wood should be burnable by this winter" according to them. When they kept hounding me about it I told them, "I'll call you when I have the time to do this", that was over 5 years ago and I haven't heard anything from them since. Now I'll only sell to people I know well.

Same story only different names. Some customers you have to let go period. Had a very nice school teacher who always ordered wood from me for about five years then she starts calling about November wanting wood. So scrounge some wood for her and started calling her for payment. It was eight months before she wrote a check. Spending my time dealing with people who are just taking advantage of you because they can is not an option. Thanks

I wonder how the habitual low ballers deal with things that they sell. Do they start at some astronomical price, expecting to get talked down? Or are they offended?

One of my other 'favorites' is the guy who shows up for a $50 item, and 'only has' $40. (Bummer - you just wasted a trip . . . ).

Philbert
Then "digs" thru his vehicle & "finds" a few dollars more that "I didn't know this was here" come with in a buck or two , still seekin discount

I had a 16" Lowe aluminum fishing boat package for sale once. Came with 25hp 2 stroke newer Mercury engine, 44lb thrust Minn Kotta bow mount trolling motor. nice trailer and fish finder, paddles, anchor seats and all in good condition.
Was asking $5900 for it and got a few tire kickers. Then a lady from 65 miles away calls and said she's interested in it and coming to look at it.
She liked it and went to tell her nephew about my sale. He came back with her the next day and started asking tons of questions about the handling and the loads it can take and weird stuff like that. The he asked how the trailer towed so I told him it was good.
So he basically told me they would take it but I would have to deliver it and then they would test it in their lake and I would show her how to drive it. He said that was his deal.
I just simply said that this is a cash and carry deal and they take it away themselves. Period.
He started whining about not having a trailer hitch and that he'd never towed before.,...wha....wha....wha.
So they ended up saying that they would pass on it and I said that's fine, Have a good day.
Two days later I sold it to a guy who paid full asking price and towed it away. Done.
Weird people all over I guess.(maybe selfish is a better word)

We're moving and have sold a bunch of unnecessary stuff at a rummage sale and on Facebook pages.

People on those sale pages drive me nuts.

They will send you one of the canned responses. I usually respond almost immediately to which I receive silence. So you mean to tell me in the last 20 seconds you lost interest in the item?

Then on the tools you get ridiculous lowball offers and they keep low balling even when you say it's sold. I just wonder if people like to shop when they are high/drunk or what they are thinking.

I have some PA speakers on CL and someone keeps emailing me there phone number as if I'm gonna call them. lol
They first asked do you still have the item? I email back a simple yes and my number. They keep emailing me there number with nothing else attached. Just a number. As if! I finally blocked there emails.

Love the text or email "What's your best price? Without further. If I respond at all, I raise the price. Guys that stupid lowball. No thank you. Then keep sending em all the discount store saw sales for the money they offered.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I've been selling firewood for many years. My ads are detailed with a list of prices, types of wood, sizes, pictures and so on.
They say, "I'm looking at your ad for firewood. and follow with every question that is answered in the ad there looking at".
Then it's followed by, "well so and so sells wood for x amount". As if that's gonna make me change my price.
Followed by what's your address? Then they stop me mid sintance and say "wait, I need a pin and paper"

One day I'm gonna snap and go off.
How much?
Are you looking at the ad?
Yes.
Can you read?
Yes.
What's it say in the f..ing ad?

Latest posts

Back