Lowest stretch climb line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_nick2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are some opinions on the lowest stretch climbing line out there mainly for Ddrt, just sold 60m of tachyon as i found it way too bouncy just hanging on a doubled 20m leg.

how many times did you use it before ditching? Most ropes have at least a bit of 'stretch in' time. Even ropes that are well work in take a bounce or two before coming good on each climb I find. That little bit of stretch does give you a little bit of safety too ;-)

Shaun

I've still got the 40m that was cut from the same roll as the 60m thought it was better to sell it before i was tempted to use it. I've gone back to NE Hyvee but with this ####ty weather i haven't had much of a chance to see how it runs through the spiderjack. I would have thought a 24 strand double braid would have stretched less than 16 strand seemingly looser braid rope

You can't really make generalisations about climb line by the number of strands, so much has to do with the way they are laid, the material used, how big each strand is etc... The only thing you can say is that ropes with more strands generally handle better than those with less. In my opionion, 24 strand ropes are still in their early days. There aren't that many out there, and I think there's still room for improvement. There are a wide range of 16 strand double braid ropes available that cover a fairly large spectrum of grip/wear/size/hand.

I've climbed on NE hi vee and it's on as a basic rope. Lots of guys use it. Works great with basic friction hitch setups, it's robust and long lasting. The larger size gives a better grip than a lot of smaller ropes. It's amazing how even 0.1mm difference in diameter can be felt as a difference by the user. The NE is 1/2" (12.6mm) compared to a lot of the 16 strand ropes at 11.7mm. That's a big difference in rope world. I've also found the NE to fatten up with use.

I've been climbing on poison Hivy the last year or so, it's the hi vee version of poison ivy which is itself just a rebadge version of blue moon. It splices easily, and a lot more easily than 24 strand. I find it's fairly low stretch, didnt creep much in the sheath (I'm 110kg) and a pretty versatile rope. I'm generally on a basic klemheist friction hitch with 8mm beeline prussik for most of my work which is medium size residential removals. From time to time I've used this rope with taughtline (tail of my rope for a V tie in), VT and hitchclimber (again on the 8mm beeline) and a whole bunch of mechanical devices (rope wrench, most types of cammed ascenders, pantin, microcender, shunt, mini traxion etc) for SRT use. I've found it to be a reasonably long wearing versatile rope. It's not that great on footlock, but I dont footlock that thats not much of a loss for me. I tried tachyon and didnt like it.

Shaun

All rope has bounce, its just a matter of how much. The only rope that I know that has almost no bounce is fire / rescue kermantle rope. I think most are 3% at mbs, but it wouldnt be great rope for tree work. I have used it before just for ##### and giggles, and there is diffenitly a difference. I like the Yale XTC fire with a elongation at 10% of ABS 2.2%. Another one to try would be New England Braided Safety Blue Hi-Vee 16 Strand Climbing Rope.

I always thought saftey blue was rather bouncey( I think its good rope though) . The tachyon should have less bounce. You may wanna try bluemoon/poison ivy. I think xtc fire or velocity are also real good but I havent tried these. 7/16 line is just a bit small for my mitts.

I have been very happy with Blaze for SRT. Its not to bouncy for long single rope ascends, and works good on both the gri gri and my VT. I just bought 150ft of Lava(Tachyon) I've only had it a week, but it doesn't seem to bad to me.
Only bad thing about blaze is it milks real bad, but its not a deal breaker.

Poison Ivy here. I have been climbing on it for the past 5 years and it works great in my ascenders. A lot less bounce than Safety Blue or any of the other ropes I've climbed on. I think it is the perfect medium for climbers who Ddrt and use ascnders or occasionally SRT.

Just remember that some stretch in a climbing line is needed in case you ever take a fall. Even a few foot fall on a static line would shake your guts out. How much you weigh probably has some baring on stretch too. I weigh 170 lbs and I haven't even noticed any stretch on any of the 11 mm ropes I have been using. Blaze, Poison ive, fly, and now lava.
I plan on getting a 9.5 or 10mm static rope just for accessing tall trees. Even some of them are made with a little stretch to protect you if you have a fall.
Several times On SRT I have had a branch fold or break and drop me to the next branch in line, Other then having to change my shorts
it's no big deal, but if I was using a totally static line or a toothed ascender it might be a different story.

Yeah i'm 240lb so i notice stretch a bit more lol, that chart is great and also the elongation figures are tested by sherrill aswell

As a person whose climbed on most of the professional grade arborist ropes available for sale right now, and many others marketed for different purposes, I'd like to add a few things with several different perspectives in mind: arboriculture, recreactional climbing, and a few things I've learned about rope from my rock climbing buddies, more than one of whom are instructors at our local rock climbing gyms.

Static rope having almost no stretch is going to be the best in a system in which the rope is not traveling/moving, like in a srt system. Like someone else already said, you take a fall on a static rope, it hurts, but the thing to remember is that a static rope is not for fall arrest. It is technically intended for access only -- not ideal/optimum as work positioning w/ fall arrest. THe same is true of our tree saddles -- they are not approved as fall arrest harnesses, but rather work positioning harnesses.

Dynamic ropes for rock climbing are so stretchy that most tree climbers would be disgusted climbing on them in the first few minutes -- I've experimented with them. But those ropes are designed with the primary intention of providing fall arrest capability because the climber is climbing the wall -- not the rope. As tree climbers we are primarily doing a rope climb. Dynamic rock climbing rope is very very stretchy, very little shock to the climber on a fall.

Going off my personal experience, keeping in mind that my geared up weight is 190-220 and I'd rather climb on 11mm and smaller rope:

* Snakebite (a static rope) is going to give you the least stretch, but it doesnt tie knots well AT ALL. I've used it best for footlocking and srt with gri gris, ascenders, etc.

* Poison Ivy is about the lowest stretch arborist rope appropriate for DRT that I've found, its a good transition for guys that are used to climbing on 1/2 ropes. I've found that it gets fuzzy with hard use a little faster than Blaze, Velocity, and Lava. Its not terrible to footlock on either

* Blaze has about the longing lasting sheath, and its the cheapest. It will milk towards the end of 1-2 seasons if you are a much bigger guy than I am. But its durable, fast, and lightweight, and not very stretchy.

* Velocity is a little stretchy but not terrible, it has a higher wax content so its not very fast on a descent, its a great rope for winter climbing when theres snow and ice, and also for new guys to build confidence on bc its less likely to slip on a novice knot

* Lava is just a little too stretchy for ascents to me, I love the rope for work positioning, but not really for access. Its my long rope that I change to drt after I've footlocked or srt to the top of a big tree. Its durable, fast, and lightweight.

* fly is fairly stretchy and milks very fast imo.

*hy-vee is about the most stretchy arborist rope I've climbed on, True blue coming in second

* true blue is my least favorite climbing line because it is HEAVY, bulky, SLOW, and stretchy. Hy vee is a little lighter to me, but bulky, slow and very stretchy like true blue. I've put my true blue into service as a dirty rigging line, in conditions when I know there's going to be mud and/or sap lol.

* blue streak is not very stretchy, but kinda heavy and slow (to me)

* XTC spark is somewhat stretchy, but fire and spearmint definitely are. Kinda heavy and a little slow.

All that having been said, I use a different setup all the time. I've got a 90' Bluewater 10.4mm I use on the small stuff, very little stretch, drt or srt. On dirtier stuff like pines, I have a Blaze that I've had for awhile. For taller, bigger trees, I'll set the Sterling HTP and footlock or srt, or switch to drt on my Lava. Heres a pic of a setup I sometimes use for taller ascents.

lavasterling-1.jpg

lavasterling2-1.jpg

All rope has bounce, its just a matter of how much. The only rope that I know that has almost no bounce is fire / rescue kermantle rope. I think most are 3% at mbs, but it wouldnt be great rope for tree work. I have used it before just for ##### and giggles, and there is diffenitly a difference. I like the Yale XTC fire with a elongation at 10% of ABS 2.2%. Another one to try would be New England Braided Safety Blue Hi-Vee 16 Strand Climbing Rope.

I use Hi-Vee all the time and it's been doing great. I does have some bounce, but it's really not that much when you're considering how long the rope is. Plus it grips really well with a blake's hitch and natural-crotching barely wears on the fibers.

The problem with getting a rope with little or no stretch is really stress shocking your rope in the event of a fall. I'd go with something that has some sort of stretch so that you can spare your ropes and possibly your life.

My favourite is "neolite" by all gear. It's 1/2" and very little to no stretch. Tree stuff has the neopro by all gear which is the same but 7/16". I had a length of XTC fire and I found it to be extremely stretchy. I would step off a limb and drop a foot or so and I weigh in at 180lbs with a saddle and saw on! XTC got retired to a light duty rigging line and used to pull pegs over.

Latest posts

Back