ludell splitting maul...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockbill

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i have a ludell maul, with the yellow fibreglas handle... i've had it for about a year or so now, and the handle is coming loose/ or seperating at teh head,,,i think teh fibreglas is breaking down inside teh head, and starting down teh handle.
has anyone else experienced this? is there a warranty on these mauls? it was given to me. but i'm not sure where it was bought, (sears, hd, lowes???)..
tahnks in advance...

can you pull it off or is it still suck on there? If it still on there but just loose you might consider getting a wedge of some kind and some 2 part epoxy or resin and fill er up.

i have a ludell maul, with the yellow fibreglas handle... i've had it for about a year or so now, and the handle is coming loose/ or seperating at teh head,,,i think teh fibreglas is breaking down inside teh head, and starting down teh handle.
has anyone else experienced this? is there a warranty on these mauls? it was given to me. but i'm not sure where it was bought, (sears, hd, lowes???)..
tahnks in advance...

Take to Fiskars store...they will trade it for a new FSS, Fiskars Super Splitter....your cost...49$ plus change....

BTW....my local ACE hardware store have 5 FSS's in stock just now....

the handle is still on teh head,, its epoxied tight from the top of teh head, its loose under teh head ... i was thinking it may have some kind of warranty, but i don't know where it came from,, or to replace teh handle with a wooden one, if i can find one that fits,,,

not interested in spending $49 to replace it,,,

the handle is still on teh head,, its epoxied tight from the top of teh head, its loose under teh head ... i was thinking it may have some kind of warranty, but i don't know where it came from,, or to replace teh handle with a wooden one, if i can find one that fits,,,

not interested in spending $49 to replace it,,,

A guy here on AS, said that he wish he'd knew about the FFS 2 years ago....he said that would have saved him a lot of work....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2148726&postcount=6

The Ludell is made where? That's right . . . reason enough for me to give it a pass even if it was any good.

Jack

i have other mauls/splitters,,, just want to replace teh handle on this one,,, i'm going to look for a wood handle that will fit the eye....
just wondering about the fibreglas replacements, i never heard of them, but i guess no one here has either...

ludell maul

The head on mine came off this winter. If you have a fleet farm or farm & fleet close by they sell a repair kit for 7 bucks.

where are your saws made? not much made here any more...
by the way, this maul is from a new jersey co,,,, thats right....

I've looked closely at the Ludell tools. You'll look a long time before you see one with USA on the casting. The quality appears rather poor. I wouldn't say the same thing of the Finnish Fiskars. Or my saws, for that matter. It's true that there's not much made here any more, but if we continue to buy junk just because it's cheap it will only get worse.

Jack

I've looked closely at the Ludell tools. You'll look a long time before you see one with USA on the casting. The quality appears rather poor. I wouldn't say the same thing of the Finnish Fiskars. Or my saws, for that matter. It's true that there's not much made here any more, but if we continue to buy junk just because it's cheap it will only get worse.

Jack

i guess junk is a matter of taste, seems there to be a lot of folks who prefer the ludell maul over the other one,,,i like teh longer handle, and the balance of teh head, it responds well to sharpening, and polishing...if i can split a 20" long red oak round with one swing, how much better can it get,,,
thanks to teh folks that help me find teh replacement,,, and to the others, post your views on teh political forum........

ludell fix

It is a two part epoxy. I clean out the old stuff. mixed it up and put it in the head and let it sit overnight. It work good.

Pointer, you're right in the neighborhood. I'm just north of Star Prairie, about a mile north of Cedar Lake.

Latest posts

Back