Mac 10-10 Automatic starter cord replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kuhn

Hobby Repairman
Reaction score
Pulled the cord right out of my saw yesterday while trying to start it, so I took it apart and couldn't see what I needed to do to fix it.

1599449830650.png

Found a video on the topic, but it's really slow with a lot of talk while the guy takes every screw out in real time.

Turned off the volume and skipped ahead until I came to this - a rivet at the end of the cord.

1599449963968.png

Now we're talking. I couldn't find that rivet anywhere, so I knew I'd have to make one for myself. He also pointed out there are two holes for the cord to go through. Seems like a good idea so the pressure at the hold point can be distributed across a half curve.

1599450517643.png

He then trimmed the end of his cord, flamed it and punched a new hole near the end with a nail.

1599450879693.png

Key point: he also drove the rivet through the cord into the same hole in the wood that the nail made.

1599450965831.png

Next key point: with the notch on the reel for the spring facing you, he wound the cord in a clockwise fashion:

1599451154773.png

From there it was a pretty simple re-assembly. Since I was using all new cord, I new my procedure would be somewhat different and easier. Here's the cord I used:

1599451285387.png

I used an 8 penny sinker nail and cut the head off it with a hack saw.

1599451410173.png

Filed on both ends

1599451484940.png

until I could slide it all the way in by one of the holes in the reel with my thinnest needle nose pliers.

You can see above I also put a couple of flat edges on the nail head to get it as close to the center of the reel and the hole as possible.

I turns out one of the holes the cord has to go through has a flat surface next to it. I figured that's where the rivet needs to go. You can see that in the first hole here as I turn the reel in front of my phone (I hope you can see this as my video goes out of focus at just the wrong time). The second hole doesn't have a flat surface on either side.

The rest of the assembly was pretty logical as you can imagine if you've ever done this before. I even found the original handle from the guy who gave me the saw. I'm ready to get my Mac barking at some trees once again. The sound of this Mac reminds me of my dad cutting up dead trees in the woods we bought when I was a kid on the farm.

1599452696513.png

We'll see how long my new cord lasts.

Oh, when I showed this problem to my son he said to just tie a knot it the cord and feed it through correctly. We tried that and discovered the knot was too big to go into the slot in the reel.

You may wish you had gone with a 4.5 or 5 rope, those old macs had some compression, but it may last a good while. I used the Stens True Blue rope in my shop for about a year and i loved its strength but the abrasion resistance was poor, as long as people pulled straight out it was great..no issues, but the folks who pulled at an angle it wouldn't last 2 weeks and it shredded, something to keep in mind. Maybe they have changed it some in the past few years and made it more abrasion resistant.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back