Mac 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletrouble

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 1973 McCulloch 10-10 automatic of my grandfather's that I use regularly. I am in need of an air filter. I have found them on eBay and I can't bring myself to pay upwards of $50 for one yet. My question is, can the top section from a newer 10-10 be used on my older one (mine takes the "domed" filter)? The newer ones seem to take the flat style filter that is more readily available and much more reasonable. Thanks for any help!

You might have to go under not over, or replace the works with foam. I've done it on a couple saws. You might have to make a backing plate out of a plastic bottle (recycle symbol 2), or do some other ninja work. You can't let the venturi suck the foam in.

I have a pile of 10-10's, flat and domed filter styles, flock filtration that old will not be worth much, and will scrape off with a thumb nail.

This is a common issue with saws that are NLA.

It's definitely a problem. The original flock was so plugged with decades of crud it was holding the saw back and when I tried to clean it half of it came off the screen. It wouldn't rev to its potential. I will come up with something g using the foam. Thanks for the idea. I was coming up blank on this one. I know I didn't want to spend big dollars on a NOS one but I love the saw and use it often. With a good chain she cuts as good as any non professional saw out there.

It's definitely a problem. The original flock was so plugged with decades of crud it was holding the saw back and when I tried to clean it half of it came off the screen. It wouldn't rev to its potential. I will come up with something g using the foam. Thanks for the idea. I was coming up blank on this one. I know I didn't want to spend big dollars on a NOS one but I love the saw and use it often. With a good chain she cuts as good as any non professional saw out there.
The 10-10 is legendary for its age/size/power.

Someone needs to be brave enough to machine a v stack and put a cone filter on it.

That thought crossed my mind but I don't have the equipment or the know how to machine something like that. Lol

It's on my list, but not a high priority to get done as I have enough of those filters

I'll be out today to the local farm store and see if they have any filter foam there I could do something with. I want to use that saw tomorrow.

Scotch-Brite pads can degrade, allowing small fibers to be sucked into the intake and roach your saw.

Just say'n.
I meant the automotive grade ones used for polishing and paint removal, they are built with larger fibers than regular scotch Brite pads I had to build an intake and air filter for a backpack blower about 3 years ago and the scotch brite filter is still doing fine.

Local farm store didn't have anything that would work for me. They had some foam filters but I would have to buy an air filter that came with the foam pre cleaner.
I to wish someone would start reproduction on these type of filters.
I had some discarded window A/C filters, some kind of plastic screen/mesh sort of stuff but I don't think it would filter out enough of the dust particles. It isn't a real tight mesh.

Latest posts

Back