mac 10 10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texparks

Reaction score
I have a 71' mac 10 10 that will start, and run for a minute, but only if i work the choke in and out as needed. Then it just dies.I had the carb re-built two years ago. I took the carb off tonight, and looked at the diaphragms, and they looked good. No dry rotting , or tears. they looked fairly new, as they should. So I thought i might check the compression, but I don't know what it should be. I cannot find any site that shows what the compression should be. I checked it anyway, and it is 26 psi.
Any ideas out there?

Your compression test is faulty, ignore it. How many pulls to fire?

Most likely the carb needs a good cleaning and/or replacement kit.

It does not matter how long ago it was rebuilt if it has not been used and had gas spoil in it.

Check for loose carb bolts and clean the carb., you can try backing out the adjustment screws(1/2 turn) to see if that helps the situation and confirm the need for a cleaning/kit.

Your compression test is faulty, ignore it. How many pulls to fire?

+1 on that. It would probably make more than 26 PSI without rings on the piston, and it certainly wouldn't even think of running if the compression was that low.

The fuel lines on those are known for rotting out also. Some of the 10 series had moulded lines. They are still available, so don't sweat.

If the diaphragms are hard, they're scrap. Even if they look good. Also make sure that the intake gasket is in the right position. The impulse passage goes through there, and the gasket could be blocking it.

I have a 71' mac 10 10 that will start, and run for a minute, but only if i work the choke in and out as needed. Then it just dies.I had the carb re-built two years ago. I took the carb off tonight, and looked at the diaphragms, and they looked good. No dry rotting , or tears. they looked fairly new, as they should. So I thought i might check the compression, but I don't know what it should be. I cannot find any site that shows what the compression should be. I checked it anyway, and it is 26 psi.
Any ideas out there?

A little foggy, but years ago I had a 10-10 that had a carb problem. Was there two types of carbs that came out on that saw? I was told mine had a W carb and they were cantankerous.

A little foggy, but years ago I had a 10-10 that had a carb problem. Was there two types of carbs that came out on that saw? I was told mine had a W carb and they were cantankerous.

Dingo -- you are correct about the "W" Mac carbs. They had [2] versions of it. Whole different animal. But they were like working on Ferrari's -- not a problem if you knew how. Not many people did....

Very good suggestion to immediately check the intake gasket. The impulse hole must align. Easy.

I looked at a 10-10 last summer but ended up passing on it. I remember opening the gas tank and observing the original coating on the inside of the tank flowing around like algae growing on a submerged tree.

thanks guys, i will buy the new carb kit, and of course fuel line( since i ripped the old one). and i will let ya'll know the outcome

i just bought 2 diaphram kits for a pair of 10-10s that were given to me. walked out the door for less that 20 bucks. check the fuel filter too, may be plugged up.

Back