Mac 2-10 bullfrog carb part#

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleMan357

Reaction score
Hello all I’ve got a saw with the bullfrog on it and I cannot for the life of me find a part# in fact it looks like it may have been ground off in a spot. If anyone can ID this carb for me so I can order a rebuild kit that would be awesome. IMG_2046.jpegIMG_2045.jpeg
img_2044-jpeg.1160006
IMG_2043.jpegIMG_2042.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpeg
    IMG_2044.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
Download the ipl off this page and figure out which carb you have. This carb went obsolete a long time ago and most people, myself included, just replace it with SDCs. Parts will be a problem.

https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/mcculloch-literature.html#/

There are aftermarket diaphragms out there but your challenge will be the 'hard' bits.

As far as part numbers go, I only have a few diaphragms in open packaging, probably not much help currently. Maybe soon though. After seeing your picture of 85608, I started digging and found that there are two single and two double needle carb bodies. The first has the thin slit outlet, the second has much wider outlet. The jet discharge is also very different. The 85608 is for the larger outlet. MapleMan has the smaller. The 10 series shop manual I have mixes pictures and does not distinguish. I will collect data and compile it over the next few days. I feel a monograph coming on….

So, what I am seeing is that there are only two main types of diaphragm assys., the Small Discharge and Large discharge. I believe the three primer suction configurations could be an evolution, two hole (63013/65410), three hole (65598), hole-slot (673567) for the small discharge. For the large discharge, I can find a two hole (63308) and a hole-slot (65608). There are some NOS Diaphragm assys. That seem to have gaskets that are either mis-cut or have shrunk. For the replacement gaskets I cut, I opted for the hole-slot combo with no issues.

1710290163731.png

I believe that the three small discharge diaphragms are interchangeable and the two large discharge are interchangeable. The Large discharge has an extra hole for the path to the discharge, making the Small and Large discharge diaphragms incompatible.

From the pictures MapleMan posted, it appears that he has the 63013/65410 diaphragm assy. (minus the gasket).

Stay tuned for installment two of Bullfrog Blues....

Thanks Rocker. On the plus side, I don't have any current projects with the bullfrog carburetors...on the other hand I have a box of bullfrog carcasses and several saws where they could be used. I'm sure the day will come when I have to get back into the bullfrog carburetors.

Mark

Hopefully this will help explain the differences between the different types of Bullfrogs If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

1710462423475.png
Single vs. Double Needle
The bodies look similar depending on the throat. Both small throat (above) have similar bodies. Single Needle only has one needle (obviously) but has two range limiter screws (high Low) for that needle. The Primer is a closed back with a long shaft. The double Needle only has one limit screw for the first needle and an additional needle towards the middle of the body. The primer is an open back with a short shaft. The undersides look the same depending on Small or Large Throat.

1710462861051.png
Internally, the only differences are the flow port to the Throat Discharge. Small throat above.

1710463159805.png
1710463244587.png
Above is a series of pictures explaining the fuel flow through the carbs. Single needle used as example. Mirroring made sense in my brain.

Small Vs Large Throat

1710463594833.png
Difference is obvious when looking at the bottom of the carb. The Large throat has 4 body screws whereas the small has 5.

1710463713020.png
Rear view

1710463808793.png
Internal differences. The large has an additional passage for the fuel flow to the discharge that passed through the Diaphragm Assy. Note the primer discharges for Single, Double, Small, and Large are all the same even though the Single and double have different primer configurations.

I will check this weekend to see if I have a Large Throat Single Needle ( I do not think I do). If anyone does, please let me know if it is the same internally as the Double Needle above.

Latest posts

Back