mac 3818 oil issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SplinterPicker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have another mac issue and it is snowballing. I have a mac 3818 that was sitting for a while, I just got it , runs great and the chain is rusted up. when i got it started, there was little to no bar oil comming out which explains the rusty chain. the crank drive gear was spinning on the crank. cleaned it off with ethanol, 95% pure so no residue would be left behind and it was harder to reinstall. tapped it on with a punch for good measure. It acts like it is trying but still no oil. I have taken apart the pump and the O ring was dried out, replaced it and still nothing oil wise, lines have been replaced and oil filter cleaned and checked. is there a check valve that I could have goofed up when I blew air through it. I have run saw 6" away from a piece of white paper test and nothing. While apart i could get oil to pass through tank hose to bar , with pump installed inline, with a siringe. the pump when spun with a drill , bench tested, was acting like it was trying still what I would consider low out put but after install no oil . any ideas or ?? wood be helpful. Thanks in advance SP

Is oil pump under flywheel on this saw? There is a duckbill valve at bottom of plastic oil tank - Stuck shut?
Worm gear has good threads?

Yes worm gear jas good threads and duck bill is appearing to work... whwn i was trying to get it going the first time, the oil pump almost seemed locked up and that may have been what caused the worm gear on the crankshaft to break free but now that the pump is freed up I took it apart and cleaned it it just will not pump so I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a pump

Yes worm gear jas good threads and duck bill is appearing to work... whwn i was trying to get it going the first time, the oil pump almost seemed locked up and that may have been what caused the worm gear on the crankshaft to break free but now that the pump is freed up I took it apart and cleaned it it just will not pump so I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a pump

Back