mac 700 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired redneck

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I replaced clutch on this mans 700 mac was was broken in three places ,looked like impac wrench damage to me but he said no way. Replaced the clutch he returned a couple of days later said clutch nut keeps spinning off, i put new oe nut on it and under a load it spunn off .shaft is not striped so why is this happening ?????

I replaced clutch on this mans 700 mac was was broken in three places ,looked like impac wrench damage to me but he said no way. Replaced the clutch he returned a couple of days later said clutch nut keeps spinning off, i put new oe nut on it and under a load it spunn off .shaft is not striped so why is this happening ?????

You sure you snugged it down good? If so, I suspect maybe the threads on the crank may not 'bite' well enough with the nut, so there is not enough on either to hold them together. Just my slightly inexperienced .02c

Didn't go south this year, not much saw work this year so i closed my shop and ben cutting fire wood ,wife works days so hard to catch me home. saw work starting to pick up now that winter is over[ go figure]???

Last edited:

Replace the clutch nut and washer, might need additional shims. Make sure that it can actually tighten down against the clutch and that the clutch cannot wiggle loose.

Make sure it is the correct taper and thickness.

If the old clutch spider was cracked it may have caused some damage if it was spinning, as did any additional spinning after the repair. Lapping the taper would be a good idea. Degrease the area with ether before assembly.

Latest posts

Back