MacKissic 12PT9 or 12PT10 to shred palm fronds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidi

Reaction score
I posted the message below as a response to a thread from 2002. I haven't heard anything back. Doing further research, I found a separate thread that led me to believe that the MacKissic 12PT9 or 12PT10 would be a good possibility for our project. That post is: http://forums2.#########.com/forums/load/tools/msg1119082321389.html

I know absolutely nothing about shredders, so I wondered if any of you could comment. Below is my original post. I appreciate any advice.

I live on a small island in Belize and 100% of our palm fronds and kitchen waste are burned. I have started a high school on the island and as a class business (and long-term environmental lesson), I am trying to set up a community composting project. I hope to show that we can reduce the harm to our coral reef (from dredging sand for landfill) and pollution (through burning).

Our Village Council has agreed to deliver palm fronds and organic matter to our composting site. Restaurants have agreed to set aside fruits and vegetables. One of our teachers has composted palm fronds on a small scale using chickens (without shredder). They have bagged and sold the black dirt (gold on a sandy island).

I am hoping to compost on a larger scale for landfill (to reduce the environmentally unfriendly dredging practice). Residential areas are spreading to swampy areas and landfill is a huge market.

As a non-profit school, we have a small budget ($1000). We are resourceful people and could possibly build something if you or anyone has any suggestions. Also - any recommendations to prevent black fly problem (neighbors are worried of this because the nearby dump already has this problem). Many thanks to anyone who can advise me.

Sincerely,

Heidi Curry
Co-Founder, Principal, Teacher
Ocean Academy: A Non-Profit Community High School
Caye Caulker, Belize, Central America
www.cayecaulkerschool.com

Latest posts

Back