Made a few cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Although I didn't use the chainsaw mill to do it, still....they are cut by me.

American Sweetgum crotch(sure does smell when ya mill it, but it's going to make for some nice blanks when dried).
100_1587.jpg

And a close-up of one of those above.
100_1588.jpg

Also, scored some hickory logs. Just got to get some of the Cherry, Pecan, and whatever that is laying in the way cut up so I can start making the 5x5's that will be the supports for my roof over the mill. I will NOT be milling in the sun next summer!
Pay no attention to the really ugly guy in the photo.
100_1604.jpg

Should get all I need from those....and then I'll actually use the chainsaw mill to make the joists. There is another hickory still standing, with a straight trunk to 30'!!

Thanks for looking. I really need to get working.....

Scott B

Those slabs are beautiful, should make great tops.

As for "the astetically challenged" man testing the integrity
of the camera lens.....looks a lot like my partner in crime
that was featured with me on "Americas Least Wanted"!

Great job and pics!!!

Keep 'em coming!

Kevin

Nice big logs!:clap:
Did you move those on your trailer in the first pic?

Looks like standing dead/dieing hickory? Hard to tell in the sun in the pic but the sapwood looks a little soft to me? Great score regardless!

I cut a couple small (8"-9") suppressed broken top hickorys out in our wood lot yesterday and as I was splitting it up for fire wood I was thinking about how pretty the wood looked...Too bad none of it would have made good lumber.

Having somewhere out of the sun/rain to work is such a good thing. Please post up some pics of the process as you go!

:cheers:

Nice big logs!:clap:
Did you move those on your trailer in the first pic?

Looks like standing dead/dieing hickory? Hard to tell in the sun in the pic but the sapwood looks a little soft to me? Great score regardless!

I cut a couple small (8"-9") suppressed broken top hickorys out in our wood lot yesterday and as I was splitting it up for fire wood I was thinking about how pretty the wood looked...Too bad none of it would have made good lumber.

Hickory makes good drum sticks, all you need is a lathe and a drummer who need sticks. Wished we had hickory out here where I live. I have the lathe, just no hickory. Yes I play drums...:msp_thumbup:

jerry-

Don't give up on old, decaying hickory. Spalted Hickory is quite attractive. The early wood turns a creamy white and contrasts with the darker latewood all the way across the board. Its a case where a little is ugly and a lot is attractive.

Yup, moved those Hickory logs by hand, and on that little single axle trailer....probably not the best idea I've had, but I drove slow and things went okay.

100_1599.jpg

Woodweb APP log weight was 2175lbs for this one. That's about the limit of what I can move with this set-up. Used a Maasdam puller and snatch block...

100_1602.jpg

Whew.....

Scott (I love some spalting) B

Yup, moved those Hickory logs by hand, and on that little single axle trailer....probably not the best idea I've had, but I drove slow and things went okay.

100_1599.jpg

Woodweb APP log weight was 2175lbs for this one. That's about the limit of what I can move with this set-up. Used a Maasdam puller and snatch block...

100_1602.jpg

Whew.....

I see a LOT of drumstick there. Cool Log!

jerry-

I see a LOT of drumstick there. Cool Log!

jerry-

Actually, those drumsticks will be holding up my roof for the Woodmizer bandsaw mill. I have already hold myself, working in the sun is okay if you have to, but the mill won't be in the sun next summer. Those logs will becme 5x5 or maybe 6x6 posts. Need to go heavy duty....going to get a 'jib crane' to mount above the mill to move them logs more efficiently!

Scott B

100_1599.jpg

100_1602.jpg

Whew.....

Great idea...Will use for future reference!

What size blanks ya looking for?

I've made a few pairs from some blue oak and black oak that have worked pretty good. The toughest pairs of sticks are mad from Japanese Oak. The stock need to be 18" long x 3/4" square and quarter saw if possible. If not the stick starts to warp and even worse if not dried.

jerry-

I've made a few pairs from some blue oak and black oak that have worked pretty good. The toughest pairs of sticks are mad from Japanese Oak. The stock need to be 18" long x 3/4" square and quarter saw if possible. If not the stick starts to warp and even worse if not dried.

jerry-

I have some smaller pieces, pm your address if you would like to try make some sticks out of it.

Holy cow, my nads are swelling just looking at that:msp_biggrin: I bet that wasn't fun at all! Goes to show if there is a will there is a way!

Holy cow, my nads are swelling just looking at that:msp_biggrin: I bet that wasn't fun at all! Goes to show if there is a will there is a way!

It actually wasn't that bad....would have helped if I had remember to bring the other 2x4 'brace', ended up using the log cant for the other side.

100_1594.jpg

100_1598.jpg

Bet anyone could get them in there with this set-up!

Scott (still got my nads) B

jerry-

I hope to get them sent tomorrow, I know why the post office is in trouble now! You can't go to the post office and get a flat rate box and ship. They only have a couple sizes, you have to order 25 boxes and they ship them to you :msp_ohmy:

I hope to get them sent tomorrow, I know why the post office is in trouble now! You can't go to the post office and get a flat rate box and ship. They only have a couple sizes, you have to order 25 boxes and they ship them to you :msp_ohmy:

More-or-les,

Thanks for sending a few pieces for me to play with, it will be cool to get hickory.

Are you near Watertown? I have a BIL who lives there. That is where my wife's family is from.

jerry-

820wards;3290771 The stock need to be 18" long x 3/4" square and quarter saw if possible. jerry-[/QUOTE said:
Pardon my Gene Wengert moment, but the terms quartersawn and flatsawn do not apply to square stock. They describe the orientation of the rings to the face of the board, and square stock has 4 equal faces, so it's both and neither. Riftsawn can apply to square stock, but you lose even that distinction when you turn it into a cylinder for drum sticks. The grain orientation does not matter for your purpose.

Pardon my Gene Wengert moment, but the terms quartersawn and flatsawn do not apply to square stock. They describe the orientation of the rings to the face of the board, and square stock has 4 equal faces, so it's both and neither. Riftsawn can apply to square stock, but you lose even that distinction when you turn it into a cylinder for drum sticks. The grain orientation does not matter for your purpose.

True

jerry-

Latest posts

Back