made in China..cant wait

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bet that within the next few years the tree service market will be saturated with Chinese made tree equipmant ,chippers ,stump grinders the whole lot.

Over here we have lots of stuff coming over from china and imo the build quality is quite good no worse imo than the stuff made over here,but the price of this imported chinese equipmant is great ,take a diesel 5.75 kva 10 hp generator £620, and all the spares are available, there sold buy a very reputable company.

Take Chinese quad bikes and small tractors imo there all made fairly well ,but back to my point i cant wait to see the faces of our western [european and american ] salesmans faces when this gear arrives ,imo we have been and are paying way to much for home made tree equipmant.

I can't comment on large equip or tree equip.

Over the last ten years I've noticed a steady increase in the # of Made in China power tools at flea markets, independent tool shops, etc. Now I'm noticing that some of the same brands are now showing up in Lowe's, Home Depot, Northern Tools, etc. Pep Boys here has carried the cheap MIC brands for quite a while.

I don't buy new power tools very often (I buy 'sleepers' at the flea markets & resale shops), but I wonder how the MIC off-brands are affecting the prices for the low to mid range name brand tools? I'm guessing that the manufactorers of highend tools such as Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Rigid, etc. don't feel the affects as much.

Buyer beware

The VCA have been impounding Chinise engines and plant because a lot of it do's not meet EU regulations in emmisions,noise,etc. To get machinery to meet EU - CE spec can be very costly and this is whear the price differance comes in most of the time.

Problem being if you have an accident with a machine with out CE spec files and construction you will be fined by the HSE and your insurance company will void any claims.

this could be bankrupcy for many people. even if the accedent was not their fault :cry: .
All machinery tec files for machinery CE plated have to be approved by a DTI approved inspectrate and these companys know haw to charge for their time abit like lawyers.

If that machine is to cheap to belive then I bet it is not EU approved.

PS/ sorry about bad spelling :)

I see plenty of far east/chinese made plant,quad bikes,generators,compact tractors,power tools etc that IS DTI approved and is CE marked and is very reasonably priced ! .Like someone else posted on another thread why are chippers etc near on the price of a new truck or decent Merc or BMW ???. Do all tree equip manufactures and dealers etc think we the buyers are stupid ??

When you buy this stuff from china you are only putting a fellow countryman (that once built this equipment) out of work. The cost difference that once allowed him to be paid a decent wage. That is something you should think about before you plunk your money down for this cheap china crap.

ROLLACOSTA said:
I see plenty of far east/chinese made plant,quad bikes,generators,compact tractors,power tools etc that IS DTI approved and is CE marked and is very reasonably priced ! .Like someone else posted on another thread why are chippers etc near on the price of a new truck or decent Merc or BMW ???. Do all tree equip manufactures and dealers etc think we the buyers are stupid ??
Roller give me a call. I'd like to invite you for a factory tour. You might change your opinion when you see everything we have to do just to build a chipper!!

Mike.

bigair said:
When you buy this stuff from china you are only putting a fellow countryman (that once built this equipment) out of work. The cost difference that once allowed him to be paid a decent wage. That is something you should think about before you plunk your money down for this cheap china crap.

SOME MIGHT BE HAPPY PAYING TOP WACK I'M NOT !

ALL i know is i can buy a brand new DOUBLE/DUAL CAB 4X4 TRUCK with 3 years warranty, for the price of a new chipper which only comes with one year warranty[and half the engineering]. I dont think you need to be Einstein to work out which one of the two is better value for money.

Last edited:
Weight per £

I once had an iteresting sales call from a guy in South Ireland His first words were how much did the chipper weigh and how much was the price. on the answer he said thats to much for this machine as in Ireland for years the price was dictated by the steel content. "Seams resonable to me".

SO If we use this as a guide it seams to run true. A BMW weight is more the a Ford so it cost more ?.

A 25hp stump grinder weight is about same as small car and costs about the same. BUT the grinder makes you money but does the CAR????.

Could the same be said of the Chipper??????

Think volume fellas. Not everybody needs a chipper. And if they did, they wouldn't be buiying a commercial sized one, that's why they sell homeowner sized ones, that IMO are vibrating heaps.

"ALL i know is i can buy a brand new DOUBLE/DUAL CAB 4X4 TRUCK with 3 years warranty, for the price of a new chipper which only comes with one year warranty[and half the engineering]. I dont think you need to be Einstein to work out which one of the two is better value for money."

Plus, saying that is like comparing semi trucks (tractor trailers) to a pickup truck.

Bigair: I read the labels carefully on just about everything that I'm considering buying or am simply curious about. When it comes to tools, most of the name brand tools from known manufactorers are Made in China. I also believe in buying American made products, but it's getting harder to find products that are truly Made in America. Again, I can only speak about the type of tools that I use, not tree care industry equipment.

Rolla: I think that because tree industry equipment is so specialized, there's a limited market, which means higher prices. Trucks, for example, in Texas are relatively cheap because there's a huge market for them. Not so for chippers, etc. Does buying MIC products hurt your native companies? Yes. Are your native companies hurting themselves by having a ridiculously high mark-up? I'm not in the position to know that. If you're convinced that the local manufactorers are gouging you, then maybe there's some justification for buying MIC products. Guess it's really your call.

It will happen in the smaller market, in fact Jinma (PRC manufacturer) already do a small 6" chipper for their 25 hp tractor, brand new for £4k (i think).
I dont know if the bigger stuff will be copied as its fairly low volume sales. That is another reason that chippers are expensive compared to cars. The difference in prices between UK built / sold equipment is because UK manufacturers are sales driven, whereas US manufacturers are factory production driven.
Quality wise, the PRC stuff can't be any worse than british built crap. I doubt it will be as high quality as US built gear. The only thing with US built chippers is the finish tends to be poor, but the steel content and quality of the engineering components is unmatched.

I strongly believe in buying stuff made in the U.S., Canada or Europe because if we buy third world we are cutting our own throats. That being said I have had some bad experiences over the last couple of years, the Maytag fridge/freezer I bought that cost more than almost every other because of "quality". Got it home, took of the package, it was fecked, it had been dropped on its head at some point. The "Maytag" man tried to blame me, didn't want to come and get it, I was so mad I wrestled it into my pickup by myself, chained it to the headache rack and took it back and exchanged it, no sorry, no nothing. The new one broke after a year, my girlfriend told me the repairman said he saw that problem all the time. As soon as the warranty ran out we got a letter in the mail offering us a three year warrranty for $250, what? no faith in your product... fek off. The 4' level I bought at the hardware store, the most expensive one there, took it home, BENT, took it back, the girl said 'Oh yeah, we've had a few of these come back" It said on it Made with pride in the U.S.A., what happened to quality and pride? We will never beat China on price but we should always beat them on quality, never can go wrong paying more for quality.

When you buy the chinese "copies" you support the chinese goverment/military...think about it.

Thor i reckon in a few years there will be very good quality chippers made in china and sold in big volume to ALL western country's..in fact i'd go so far to say i bet theres an oriental business man thinking about makeing them now [all size machines].

As for quality British and American products thats a joke !! i say buy from who ever is the best value for money.

thor do you honestly think a crappy 6'' chipper warrent's the same price as a new 4x4 truck which come's with 3 years warrenty?? because i don't .

BlackSmith said:
When you buy the chinese "copies" you support the chinese goverment/military...think about it.

when you buy US or British product's you pay taxes that go towards paying for unjustified wars and propping up puppet governments etc etc :cry:

Blacksmith, that doesent even warrant a reply in this thread or forum.
Rolla, I dont agree with the situation at all. but it happens. Look at barfords / turner / greenmech. in the same factory it costs more to build and theres a lot more steel in a 6 tonne dumper than a crappy little chipper. but the chipper cost about £5000 more... no wonder they want to build chippers...
My problem is the size and build of the crappy little things. at least you get a decent amount of steel and horsepower in a yank chipper.
However, I have spoken to a chinese company who would be more than happy to build chippers for us...

Back