Made in Japan, Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with Globals ;)

Japanese quality is legendary and demonstrated in many fields; Somali warlords prefer Toyota trucks for reliability. My Toyota has proven to be very reliable and runs as tight as a drum after 120,000 miles. And I'm happy with my Global knives.

Japanese quality is legendary and demonstrated in many fields; Somali warlords prefer Toyota trucks for reliability. My Toyota has proven to be very reliable and runs as tight as a drum after 120,000 miles. And I'm happy with my Global knives.
+1 - there is NOTHING tougher than a landcruiser 70 or 40 series in it's class

Without taking this thread TOO far OT, I'm not knocking Global as such - they're a well-made, solid knife with good steel and very widely available.

In relative terms however, there are better (and far more expensive) knives (both custom pieces and produced lines) in terms of geometry, steel properties, artisan characteristics etc. Like anything in this world, there's always the 'nth' degree in terms of human endeavour and achievements, and knives are no exception.

A warning: if you value your wallet and / or want to save your hard-earned cash for CAD, then I advise against visiting the above sites!

[edit] - and FWIW, my 1989 Mitsubishi station wagon just refuses to quit!

Last edited:
You're right, of course, you can get as exclusive as you like for increasingly exquisite gains in quality and of course price. My guess is that most people, used to fairly ordinary knves, would think that a nice new Global was marvellous and not think to go any further up the scale. Much like using a doggy old spanish shotgun for years then having a nice new Browning over-and-under to play with. You're trying to send me to Purdey's here :D Not that there's anything wrong with a Purdey, but most people won't need that sort of quality.

Also, i know I can get away with buying Global knives, having them hand-made in somewhere I can't pronounce would eat into the food budget somewhat, and rather defy the point of owning kitchen knives at all!

It's all down to clever market positioning, and well worth understanding.

My guess is that most people, used to fairly ordinary knves, would think that a nice new Global was marvellous and not think to go any further up the scale.
It's been my experience in sharpening that the average person is satisfied as long as the blade is sharper than the spine.

I want one made by Wong the Chinaman. From what I hear he is great with a forge.

It's been my experience in sharpening that the average person is satisfied as long as the blade is sharper than the spine.

Also true, ask most of them to slice a tomato and it looks like they've spread it like butter. I can get mine down to about 2mm :D

You're right, of course, you can get as exclusive as you like for increasingly exquisite gains in quality and of course price. My guess is that most people, used to fairly ordinary knves, would think that a nice new Global was marvellous and not think to go any further up the scale. Much like using a doggy old spanish shotgun for years then having a nice new Browning over-and-under to play with. You're trying to send me to Purdey's here :D Not that there's anything wrong with a Purdey, but most people won't need that sort of quality.

Also, i know I can get away with buying Global knives, having them hand-made in somewhere I can't pronounce would eat into the food budget somewhat, and rather defy the point of owning kitchen knives at all!

It's all down to clever market positioning, and well worth understanding.

If I had a $25,000 Parker shotgun, I would still miss the birds, but I would look so good doing it............

Humph. When I was a kid, Made in Japan was a joke. We laughed at the stuff. The same as Made in China is today.

Things have changed since then. And then changed again. I drive a Toyota Tundra. Great truck. When I bought it in 1999, it was the MOST MADE IN AMERICA PU available! Of any trucks, even GM and Ford. Now I have 135k miles on it, and no problems. One coil blew, and there was a recall on the transfer case, and they fixed it for free.

Can't say that I need a charving bar for my 361s though. Nor does the 361 lend itself to carving... EGADS! A flaw in the 361! :taped: I better dump them on CL fast!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back