Made some new truck sides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the truck from a company that used it as a service call truck. It needed a front ball joint, a manifold gasket,and it was missing. Turns out it was a coil. They were asking $900 and settled for $750.

The kiln is doing good. If you have any questions just send me a PM and I'll answer anything you have.

The racks turned out really good for me. I'm not a wood worker at all. I'm a hack at best when it comes to building things. That's why I but wood into pieces for a living.

Scott

Nice rack...hmm...sounds a little weird saying that to a guy:laugh: Just a word of caution about the Ford, do not replace the spark plugs unless it is absolutely necessary. Even Ford recommends not changing them due to the lack of threads in the heads. Ford has a major problem with the spark plugs just blowing out of the block, even if you torque them to proper specs. There is not enough metal in the head to hold the plugs in and has been a major problem, as once they are ripped out of the heads you are pretty much screwed. Now you can heli-coil the head, but think, if the original threads ripped out, your more than likely the heli-coil will too, as it will be held in by the same number of threads. Hey after all ford knew they had a problem they circled it! LOL

This guy is posting pics of the new sideboards he made for his truck and your here trying to play the ford vs chevy vs dodge gig. Grow up buddy.

bcorradi, you caught me, yep red handed...well except please tell me where I said anything about Dodge or Chevy...oh, that's right I didn't huh. Kinda hard to have a debate when you are only taking about one brand...in this case Ford. Actually what I am doing is trying to share some knowledge I have gained about ford's so this guy does not do what I, and many others would do. Buy a new truck, next step is maintenance (plugs, wires, fuel filter, bearings and ujoints). See this is what this forum is actually really designed for sir, that being helping each other out.

Actually now that I think about it we should do it your way. We mention nothing to help anyone else out. Let's let them blow up a perfectly good truck, then snicker when they complain on here about it right? Yes very neighborly. After all why would we help anyone out, what's in it for us, right? Yeah there is no sense in saving this guy thousands of dollars in repairs, I do see your angle now.

However my parents taught me better. I was not an only kid and learned how to share, and get along with others. How to be a good neighbor. As you see I did compliment him in the first place on his racks, and the last part about fords and circles, that is called humor...the dictionary should have a sufficient explanation to what that is for you. Seems the last thing you wrote is good advice, I would suggest you take it sir. You as a sponsor should know better. My apologizes to the op for the highjack

Last edited:
I can appreciate the work that went into it. However, as one who had made a number of racks I would be concerned about utilizing 2" material for the standards, especially since you apparently needed to taper them to fit in the pockets. I had a load shift on me where the tailgate was four 2x4" and it sheared them off. I also see no pockets at the back, thus requiring any tailgate to swing off the sideboards at the back where there is not any standard for support.

I understand the need to use what you have, good luck!

I would be concerned if it was pine. But being oak it's pretty darn strong. I made sure there were no big knots in the wood supports. There are also a mot more side braces then normal. The truck had a lot of stake pockets. I didn't have to taper anything I cut the boards to fit.

Scott

Latest posts

Back