magnesium corrsion?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantwolland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this weekend I went into my shed and noticed my saws that were sitting on their wooden shelf had a white powdery "corrosion" on any exposed piece of their magnesium housings. I didn't think magnesium would corrode like that. I know aluminum will corrode but it takes a long time and exposure to something like saltwater. Is magnesium more susecptible to corrosion or is there a different culprit I should be looking for? I figure I will sand down the corrosion and give them a light coating of oil? any other suggestions.

Yes, it will corrode. I'd treat it with diluted purple cleaner, brush with a soft wire brush (like stainless or brass wire), wash off, dry then coat with LPS-3.

Painting is a better long term solution...

I've seen some saws from the islands that were used for cutting a steady diet of palms. Given some time, they end up like swiss chesse.

I have seen some suprising fast corrosion. 1 saw left in a trunk I am afraid to poke it as it may leak gas where it corroded so bad & was only there maybe 6 months but trunk leaked & carpet was soaked..

as for magnesium corroding ask any old "airhead" air cooled vw person that messed with type 1,2,& 3 engines which are magnesium I have seen so many junked cases that were pulled out of a car & left to sit on ground & person say it needs a rebuild & not realise that that in 1 to 2 years case can be totally ruined. now if it was covered & elevated usually ok for a rebuilder.

the type 4 VW guys are ok. there cases are aluminum take alot longer..

Later,
Randy

If I read this correctly, mag corrodes only from contact with water/saltwater?

Clean and dry and stored inside should never corrode, right?

I would look for an oxidizer that is stored in the shed with the saw You have a pool? Some chemicals will do what your describing in a short period of time.

I've got a Bosch router with a barrel that's made of magnesium - part of the maintenance routine is to scrub off the oxidation and wax it up to last another few months before it starts to bind up again. It's a PITA, but it's also a nice router so I'm willing to put up with the BS.

The router's my table router, lives in a bone dry shop. No exposure to moisture/water/high humidity, ever.

Nikko

About 10 years ago I saw a Sthil 015 that was used to cut meat and was left for months.
The magnesium was eaten until it made a hole in the crankcase.
It must have been eaten by the aminoacids in the meat.:confused:

I was just surprised because even though it has been a wet summer it took only about a week to form and fairly heavily. they are in my garden shed and the only fertilizer I have is miracle gro. I will definatley scrub them and oil them up as lakeside mentioned. hard to find cases for these old darlings. thanks.

When you butcher a cow, do you need a smaller "limbing" saw and a bigger one for the "trunk"? I guess it depends on how you like you steak cut, against the "grain" or with it.

HA HAh ha ho.. Never mind....

Now that we are on the subject...

Is the purple stuff the best way to clean up corrosion on magnesium? I have a McCulloch 650 totally disassembled right now with a fair bit of corrosion evident on lots of the internal as well as external surfaces like the fuel tank, oil tank, crank case, etc. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

Did someone ask if Magnesium corrodes:cry: This is what happens to Ekka's MS440s cutting palms in Australia. I believe he said it only takes about a year to do this.

117202394_r66Cz-M.jpg

117202383_cbwCv-M.jpg

Meat? what kind of meat needs a chainsaw to cut it?

Didn't you see an old B movie called Rancho Deluxe? The procedure is well demonstrated in the opening scene.......

Cow's carcass, like this guy cuts in New Zeland:

I don't know about you guys but I prefer 3/8 full chisel for cow, but I always switch to semi-chisel for the dirtier conditions of cutting pig.
:clap:

Thassum sick material, mon. I like it! Maye I will figure out a quick way to field dress a deer.........Oh, finally got my deer head back a few weeks agod. Check it out.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back