Magnolia?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on the U S woodstove called the magnolia at TSC and rural king. I was looking at it and can get one for $749.00. It looks just like a model that other stove companies have. Also they have one called the King for $500.00. Is it any good?

I, also considered this stove,but upon further reaserch I'll be damned if I buy a stove made in china and sold by someone calling themselves US stove co.

were you at in ohio wood chuck . i installed one of those stoves and it works great . had some trouble getting it to burn and draft , the book dont tell you to remove the two fire bricks in the top befor installing . i would buy another one in a minet if needed . hoot

definitly one of the better us .stove units but still made in china with poor quality control , id buy a Englander NC13 at your local home depot (use a 10% off coupon plus the tax credit!),around same price or less but made by virgina resident american citizens and also its better designed ,the tech support is unmatched and warranty/service is there too.

were you at in ohio wood chuck . i installed one of those stoves and it works great . had some trouble getting it to burn and draft , the book dont tell you to remove the two fire bricks in the top befor installing . i would buy another one in a minet if needed . hoot

I live in between Lima Oh. and Fort wayne In. 2 blocks south of u.s 30.

Did you take the bricks out of the top then to get it to draft?

definitly one of the better us .stove units but still made in china with poor quality control , id buy a Englander NC13 at your local home depot (use a 10% off coupon plus the tax credit!),around same price or less but made by virgina resident american citizens and also its better designed ,the tech support is unmatched and warranty/service is there too.

What do you mean by quality control?

i was just thinking ifn you were close . you could come look at the one i installed . and yes i was going to drill and make some holes for draft . contacted u. s . stove and they told me about the fire bricks in the top of the stove . removed them , and the stove works great . hoot

i was just thinking ifn you were close . you could come look at the one i installed . and yes i was going to drill and make some holes for draft . contacted u. s . stove and they told me about the fire bricks in the top of the stove . removed them , and the stove works great . hoot

They told you to take them bricks out?

I actually have a Magnolia in my house and was thinking of buying another for in the garage.

What would your insurance co say about removeing them 2 bricks?

I, also considered this stove,but upon further reaserch I'll be damned if I buy a stove made in china and sold by someone calling themselves US stove co.

This is the oldest stove co. in the united states for your info. Do some more research if you don't think I'm right.

Aps1100

I am looking at the APS1100 they make at TSC, $399. Would like to put it in the garage to replace the boxwood I have. The boxwood just plain leaks to much air in. What does anyone think on this one? Any idea on average burn times with it dampered down? Would like to leave it go for maybe 8 hours.

This is the oldest stove co. in the united states for your info. Do some more research if you don't think I'm right.

well sadly in todays world ..old doesnt always equal good ,alot of the old companys we trusted have went to cheaper labor and less quality s o the y can sell cheap at big stores ..stanley rigid and craftsmen are 3 examples off the top of my head

I never thought of you being wrong,. But a with that name why outsource to an Asian country? Reburn tubes replacable or welded in?!!

I apollagize if it sounded like I was stepping on the wrong foot. (did'nt mean too)
I am not saying they are the best or even good just stating that they were the 1st stove co. in the US. I am sure they do it for the money just like all the rest of the big co. in this country.
It does not have reburn tubes I don't believe, just a plate above the fire box with some holes. It is welded in.

Satisfied Magnolia User

We've used our Magnolia for the last two years. Concerning removing the bricks, it would seam that nearly all heat would pass directly up the stack. When I had draft issues, the company (USS) said to place the bricks as far apart as possible,which creates two small gaps for air flow. The welded-in baffle plate is an issue. It will collect ash and does block the draft. Nothing a mid-season cleaning won't take care of.
In reply to the poster looking at an APS1100. My BIL has one, bought second hand. It works fine but it only likes a 14" log length and can only be placed east-west (or left -right). OK stove for back-up but not one I'd depend on for sole source heat.

We've used our Magnolia for the last two years. Concerning removing the bricks, it would seam that nearly all heat would pass directly up the stack. When I had draft issues, the company (USS) said to place the bricks as far apart as possible,which creates two small gaps for air flow. The welded-in baffle plate is an issue. It will collect ash and does block the draft. Nothing a mid-season cleaning won't take care of.
In reply to the poster looking at an APS1100. My BIL has one, bought second hand. It works fine but it only likes a 14" log length and can only be placed east-west (or left -right). OK stove for back-up but not one I'd depend on for sole source heat.

So you pulled the metal clips beside the 2 top bricks so that you could move them?

No, didn't mess with the clips. I pryed the bricks over with a putty knife. We're only talking about an 1/8" gap by each brick. It helped, but not like cleaning the top of the baffle plate did. I'll have the pipe out this week-end and let you know how it looks.

No, didn't mess with the clips. I pryed the bricks over with a putty knife. We're only talking about an 1/8" gap by each brick. It helped, but not like cleaning the top of the baffle plate did. I'll have the pipe out this week-end and let you know how it looks.

I completely cleaned above the baffle a couple of weeks ago and it is ready to go this yr. Already had a couple of burns with it this yr.

Latest posts

Back