Mahle cylinders cross-reference sources?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm,

good thread. I have seen the KolbenScmidt on cylinders from Sachs Dolmars.

At least many have the $ looking mark with numbers and back slashes.

The 116si has these but the 120si has a Mahle. 343 concrete saw has that $ mark too.

As many parts are NLA available for saws we sometimes have to think outside the box.

Ever seen a 77cc 116si?

The Kolbenschmidt cylinders were put on some very respectable saws eh.

Me thinks the parent company bought out Zollner Pistons up in Ft. Wayne.

A little history;

The Detroit Pistons used to be the Ft. Wayne Zollner Pistons.

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but I have a Mahle cylinder not in the list that I hope someone can help me with. I am tearing down a Husky 238se and am happy to see that the piston and cylinder are quite good. It is obvious that someone has worked on this saw in the past so I want to confirm that the Mahle 40ZN20 cylinder on it is the correct one for a 238se. I know that getting pistons and cylinders for this model is difficult because they are NLA and not supported by the aftermarket so these saws will often have been retrofitted with a cylinder from one of the other saws in the series.

Any Mahle / Husky 238se experts out there?

I only question it because of what I said in my initial post - people change these because they can't get the original cylinder/piston and there are several other more easily available piston/cylinders that will fit. I want to restore this to its original state so if this cylinder/piston were from another model, I will change it.

Do you have a source that shows what Mahle cylinders were on these saws (I would be interested in a copy:))? I did a Google search for this cylinder and the only hit I got was from a German forum and they were guessing without really knowing.

Thanks for your help.

No, I am not misunderstanding. I know Mahle is OEM and I know this is not an aftermarket piston/cylinder. I know this is an OEM cylinder for some saw, but I want to know if it is an OEM cylinder for this saw. Another way to look at it is - if I could order the piston/cylinder from Husky for a 238se, would this be the cylinder I would receive?

I believe that the 42, 42 Special, 238, 242, 242xp and 246 all were built on the same crankcase and all had 30mm strokes. The piston/cylinder from any of these could be fitted on the 238 but maybe there would be other things that would have to be modified (top cover, muffler, carb, air filter???). The 42, 42 Special and 246 are all open port cylinders and mine is closed port so I know it is not from one of these. That leaves the 234, 242 and 242xp.

From the list on the first page of this discussion, the 242xp has a Mahle 42ZN13 (note the typo in that list). So maybe I have answered my own question - since Mahle places the bore size as the first two digits in the part number, and the 238 has a bore of 40mm, this must be the correct cylinder for this model. I'm going with that and calling it good.

As an aside to this discussion, does anyone know the bore and stroke of the 234se? It is missing from Acre's site.

This what I found on line and guarantee nothing:
Husqvarna.

OLD 61/ 5015 336 SK 165 4-0 (aftermarket????)

The S and K on top of each other should be read as KS, for KolbenScmidt - and it is OEM, not aftermarket.

There even were models where Mahle, Gilardoni and KS all made OEM cylinders.

As an aside to this discussion, does anyone know the bore and stroke of the 234se? It is missing from Acre's site.
38 mm bore and 30 mm stroke, like the 133.

Btw, you can't trust the Mahle numbers to always tell the bore of the cylinder, as they don't change the initial number in a "family" of cylinders, as long as the outside of the cast is the same. As an exemple, the 48, 50 and 51.4 mm cylinders for the 365, 371/372 and 372 75cc all say "50" (the first size made), despite the bore differenses - and there are other exemples.

No, I am not misunderstanding. I know Mahle is OEM and I know this is not an aftermarket piston/cylinder. I know this is an OEM cylinder for some saw, but I want to know if it is an OEM cylinder for this saw. Another way to look at it is - if I could order the piston/cylinder from Husky for a 238se, would this be the cylinder I would receive?

A Mahle cylinder isn't "aftermarket", but could of course theoretically be for another model.

40 sounds right though for 38cc, and if it fits the 30 mm stroke as well it almost certainly is the right one.

so circuetis discusion ,popcorn, double buttered

Latest posts

Back