Maintaining Your Chainsaw--Tips Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaTrapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

In preparation of the winter storm headed our way, I went out yesterday morning and purchased my first chainsaw. I purchased a Stihl MS 311.

I've read about how to break in the saw and flipping the bar after every sharpening.

I am running Stihl's orange bottle oil mixed with ethanol free gas.

Can y'all please give me some more information on how to keep the saw clean and maintained?

Hey Y'all,

In preparation of the winter storm headed our way, I went out yesterday morning and purchased my first chainsaw. I purchased a Stihl MS 311.

I've read about how to break in the saw and flipping the bar after every sharpening.

I am running Stihl's orange bottle oil mixed with ethanol free gas.

Can y'all please give me some more information on how to keep the saw clean and maintained?
Welcome aboard...where are you at in Ga?...I'm in Warner Robins. I'm unfamiliar with the 'winter storm heading our way'. But anyhow there Oakland Raider, give me a holler, we'll get your saw broke in.

Would like to help, but long ago I decided to not offer help to the following people:

Guys with pony tails. Especially gray ones.
People with democrat bumper stickers.
People with Raiders stickers on the back windows of their black vehicles/avatar.

Would like to help, but long ago I decided to not offer help to the following people:

Guys with pony tails. Especially grey ones.
People with Raiders stickers on the back windows of their black vehicles/avatar.
That was a good one...I don't wanna derail the young mans' thread though...lol.

Guys with pony tails. Especially gray ones.

Rumor has it, USMC615 has a man-bun. :popcorn2:

Hey USMC,

I'm up in North Georgia. We got 2-3 inches of snow and a lot of ice where I live. The county above us had 6 plus inches.
I gotcha. Long time member here by the site name of @zogger...damn good guy. Give him a look up here on site. He'll teach ya everything you need to know about that saw and runnin it. His specialty is 'zogger wood.' If you're near him and y'all hook up, trust me, you'll understand the zogger wood comment I made...little heads up, bring plenty of mix and bar oil, might oughta bring another Stihl RS chain as well.

Thanks! I was thinking about buying a spare chain or two. I read where a guy recommended a full skip square chisel and full skip teeth. What does that mean? I looked it up and the chain looks like the one that came on my MS 311.

Thanks! I was thinking about buying a spare chain or two. I read where a guy recommended a full skip square chisel and full skip teeth. What does that mean? I looked it up and the chain looks like the one that came on my MS 311.
Is the chain currently on your 311 a green or yellow chain? Rotate the chain around until you see either color. Probably a RS yellow chain. If that's the case, all the chain you'll need now, being new I assume, to cutting trees or wood. Gotta ask this though...is this your first experience with a chainsaw?

I've used them quite a bit, but never owned or maintained one. I have a yellow link on my chain. What style of chain is that and should I buy another one?

Hi! Sent you a private conversation message as well. By all means get a couple spare chains and the appropriate sized round files, a couple, and a flat file. Round is for the cutting teeth, flat for the depth gauges, that bump in front of the teeth. If you have a new one to look at, that makes sharpening the dull one easier, you can see what it is supposed to look like. Match what you see, and don't drag the files backwards, they push, inside to out. I think stihl has all the videos for doing maintenance and sharpening, so check it out.

We only got about an inch of white dirt on top of the mud here, but it got pretty cold here with the winds, digging on the stove right now, dang wood heat is nice....

Back