Major Hedge/Osage Orange score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Listen, I never would have located, bartered and drove off with this beautiful wood, had I not been trained to have an "Eagle or Opportunistic Eye" for certain high grade firewood's.
I answered an local ad which a guy spoke about wanting to be rid of some old hickory, pecan and 5 month old cut "Locust"...I saw just a few ridges of the supposed Locust in a couple of pics...called him up & went took a look @ it and ...BAM!:hmm3grin2orange::msp_thumbsup:

He thought it was Black Locust turns out is the fabled Osage Orange/Hedge...loaded up my P/U with all I could hold and left those huge monsters pieces back there for later!
Really and truly I don't have the saw or manpower...or probably the desire to scuffle with them...but here's the deal this is a straight up guy whose laid off of from work and really needs the CASH!

He will make somebody a "Hella Va Racehorse Deal" on a potion or all of it!:msp_thumbup:
I sure wish I had the equipment and the where with all to harvest it!

Again, Thanks to you STUDS on here, I got my 1st hedge score...and I AM STOKED!:bowdown:
How long should I season & should I commence to splitting and stacking right away???:msp_confused:

Reggie
ps...I've heard a few green small pieces puts on decent fireworks show!:rock:

View attachment 265379
View attachment 265381
View attachment 265383
View attachment 265382
View attachment 265380

Yup, that is what you got alright. It can't season too long, won't never rot. Burns hotter'n the howlin' hardened hickory hubs of hell hauli'n hominy downhill. Mix it in And stay safe.

You done good, Reggie. I'm not gonna ask what it cost you though. It'll keep you in heat for a long time.

Yup, that is what you got alright. It can't season too long, won't never rot. Burns hotter'n the howlin' hardened hickory hubs of hell hauli'n hominy downhill. Mix it in And stay safe.

You got that right. It'll burn the bottom out of your stove if you let it get away from you.

Careful Mac88 is coming to get it.:laugh:

NOT! We don't pay for firewood. All the "osage orange" we burn is free. We do pay for decent sawlogs. Those don't fit the bill. Somebody will snag them for btu's.

Nice haul Reggie! Get that in it's own stack so you can choose to use it when needed and enjoy it taking care of business overnight while it keeps you nice and warm.

Alliteration rep sent your way.

al·lit·er·a·tion/əˌlitəˈrāSHən/
Noun:
The occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words.

To the OP -- nice score!

Last edited:
Season it as long as you want, I'm currently heating my shop with a load of 60 year old hedge posts. Those things are a bit hard on chains.:msp_sad:

Season it as long as you want, I'm currently heating my shop with a load of 60 year old hedge posts. Those things are a bit hard on chains.:msp_sad:

I like to call it the great humbler... Those Hedge posts are dense!
This is a 7900 with a sharp chain.
"Albeit, a semi chisel"

[video=youtube;rTPFI5YJo_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPFI5YJo_k&feature=BFa&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA[/video]

Back