Make my own log trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this is what you mean? Just quick sketch, the trailer used in this sketch looks like the one I have here.

The stupid thing are the wheels, but that could be solved. You can see the texture in some parts, that would be wood. Also on the beams connecting the Hs so the chances to hit metal are reduced and beams in the other way can be placed under the wooden beams. I would completely close the room above the wheels with wood so I can shove it over to the middle and it drops in the trailer. I also need the beams of wood in the middle to prevent complete logs falling in the trailer. This set up would require me to stand on the trailer, but that isn't a problem because it is long enough. The wood overhangs on 1 side, would take 2 cuts on that side and the rest in the middle. Balance shouldn't be a problem like this I think and it would be easier than overhanging parts on both sides.

View attachment 269254

Positive is that it would be possible to have quite a few set ups like these so less/no loading work. Negative is that they can be only as big as my trailer can load (can not be loaded higher than the sides, usually load it 10"-15" higher). Otherwise parts will get stuck between the trailer and the H. Other negative point is, if I can't put enough of these set ups in front of the house, I'll need to load them by hand (they are higher than the log trailer) or saw them on the ground. Another positive point is the excuse for a bigger trailer :D

I'll also need to use a strap to tie them down because once I start cutting between the Hs, the wood isn't closed in anymore between the metal beams. May be necessary to put a extra U beams in the middle, after each cut so the wood stays within metal and the beams should be able to be taken off so the crane can unload it's grapple there. I could use the same beams on each set up then (not on the sketch).

That's all that came to mind so far :) Going to go to sleep now. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
How long are the logs?
I'm thinking you could make up the H frames almost as wide as the trailer is long, and space each H frame to get the trailer between them, with the exception of narrower spacing on the two central H frames. Just let the logs overhang and fall into the trailer when cut. Cut from alternating ends of the stack to keep it reasonably well balanced, removing H frames as you work your way in.
Here's what i had in mind:
View attachment 269312

That doesn't look like a bad set-up. The only problem is that the crane grapple needs to fit in the middle. Logs will be 8' long. Cut into 8 pieces. The middle frame should be maximum 2' to make it easy to unload, 1' to the left, 1' to the right. So the space will be around 2' = 23" something. That's isn't a lot for the grapple and no room to adjust. The trailer total width is almost 5' due to the tires next to the loading deck. No matter how I put the set-up, the trailer is too wide or the logs are too short. The total length and the that they need to be cut in 1' pieces makes it hard to make a good set-up.

I came up with a new idea. Might be possible to use a set-up like the H but then use a custom made trailer to drive under them. Then use 'trailer legs' to get the set-ups off the ground and lower them on the trailer.
Like these?
View attachment 269358
Lower the H at a trailer, maybe 2 or 3 at a time and drive them to the back. Make the trailer legs come off and re-use them each time on the other set-ups. Then the logs can fall on the ground after sawing. No need to worry about the saw lengths. Can use a low trailer with a real basic set-up. Just need some small parts to lock the H set-up on it. Also the H set-up can be low so can make them higher and carry more wood. What do you think? :)

Last edited:
How about a modified carpet dolly?

Don't know how much weight they can take? I know a keg dolly is pretty strong but don't really see a way to convert it while it's still mobile enough to go from big cobblestones to small ones and then a part over the lawn.

Still like the idea of the trailer because the materials used are limited. Maybe use beams with hinges on 1 side, so you can drive next to the pile of wood, slide the logs from the top right onto the trailer. Then only the part of logs, lower than the trailer should be stacked by hand or cut on the ground. And ask the firm to stack them as high as possible and not to wide. Put some wood beams under the stack so it's easy to cut what is left under the trailer height or use a winch to pull them on.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Been thinking about set-ups but there is no way I can make a set-up to take all the logs from 1 delivery. Not due to the volume but the weight will make it hard. I would need too many different set-ups to spread the weight. At least if I want to move the set-up.

If it's a fixed set-up, it may be possible to create a set-up to carry the weight but it should be around 3' high to get the loading trailer under it and pretty complex so it's possible to saw the logs on it. And working with the trailer I already have, isn't really easy due to the tires that are next to the loading area and the limited loading area.

With a custom made log trailer, the loading area could be a around 2' high. As far as we've been thinking. It looks to me that it would be easier to put some wooden beams down and raise the log area between 1' and 2' and use a custom made trailer to put the logs on. Most of the logs would be easy to roll over on the trailer and I think even the ones that aren't above the custom made log trailer could be rolled on with a bit of speed (because the slope is limited), a (manual) winch or can be cut on the wooden beams. The volume of the pieces that can't be loaded will be limited I think. Also the wooden beams are easy to move and the required metal is limited.

Think it's best to stick with the trailer idea so far... But other ideas would be great! I'll probably get a load over a month (first exams) and won't be able to make a construction before that. So still enough time to brainstorm and come up with other ideas. The construction will probably be used for the second load.

So any other idea's are welcome! And thanks for all the help so far!

Regards, Typhke

What about a custom-made hand stacker (better wheels, wider loading tooth). Using a winch around the top to the elevating part and back up. Used (hand) power will be twice as strong and could be able to lift pretty heavy beams I think. Think this could be a possible option as long as I'm working on paved ground. Only requirement next to paved ground is some beams under the logs so the hand stacker could go under them.

Another possible option:
http://kgorganic.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/trailer-pe-atv-pentru-busteni/#
Little crane with a winch.

Depending on the size of the logs, I want to prevent as much loading material as possible because they usually work pretty slow. I think a winch on 1 side is probably the easiest/cheapest/fastest loading way. Get the rope to you up over a connector between 2 poles and then to the log to pull it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back