Need Log Dogs for skidding 28" Oak on Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper_T

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the old Log Dogs that you drive into a tree and has a ring or double swivel on the end to drag my logs up and on my 22' Trailer... I am scouring logging supply places and cannot seem to find them-- except on antique eBay or Etsy shops. If this is the old way of logging and skidding--- what are the new tools for skidding large logs? Skidding Tongs?

Whatever happened to the log dogs? Newbie arborist and trying to put pieces together from videos vs REAK LIFE/TOOLS of today....

Are these what you are looking for?

IMG_1800.jpeg

We used these all the time when I was kid, boat logging on the Columbia River, we called em log dogs, but I believe that they are also called Rafting Dogs

I bought some a couple years ago, at Northwest Logging Supply in McMinnville, OR.

They usually have some on the shelf

Doug 😎

Are these what you are looking for?

View attachment 1127963

We used these all the time when I was kid, boat logging on the Columbia River, we called em log dogs, but I believe that they are also called Rafting Dogs

I bought some a couple years ago, at Northwest Logging Supply in McMinnville, OR.

They usually have some on the shelf

Doug 😎
No sir.... I am ordering one just to have but I did not want to split or damage too much of the wood.... See attached pic of what I am looking for....

Attachments

• LOGGING_DOG.jpg
    LOGGING_DOG.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 0
No sir.... I am ordering one just to have but I did not want to split or damage too much of the wood.... See attached pic of what I am looking for....

Okay 👌, never seen those before.
I can see how they would work well for what you want to do

Good Luck 🍀 with your search, I don’t know of any sources for those

Doug 😎

Looks like you could take a crow bar and cut it to length then weld a loop and/or grab hook on the shank

Looks like you could take a crow bar and cut it to length then weld a loop and/or grab hook on the shank
Ya know... This is a great idea... Man-- I need to see how much this would cost for my local welder to make... I prefer a forged ring-- I just wonder what the breaking point of the weld on the ring would be? Its been a long time since I've seen a real steel crowbar that wasn't cheap China steel (harbor freight)

Another way to load logs.

Parbuckling:

Amazing and scary as **** if anything went sideways... (Pun intended). I wish he would have showed how he secured the chain he had to that log... He also had a trailer without a wheel well rising over the deck + the tires were also riding below the trailer deck. Both points screw me for parbuckling? Hhmm... Need to YB this more.

Thanks for the post!

Latest posts

Back