New Member - Longtime Reader from Michigan needs Log Splitter Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split all last winter with the 22 ton speeco/huskee from TSC. It killed everything except a big white elm. Wouldn't even touch it. (whole)
I had to give it back, as it was a friends but if I had to buy another one I wouldn't shy away from it. Wish it had a honda though

I split all last winter with the 22 ton speeco/huskee from TSC. It killed everything except a big white elm. Wouldn't even touch it. (whole)
I had to give it back, as it was a friends but if I had to buy another one I wouldn't shy away from it. Wish it had a honda though

Now I've seen the 22 ton models with three different engines. The Speeco branded engine is the one I had on mine, and it's a knock off of a honda I believe... But it's been bullet proof... 6.5 horizontal shaft...

Thanks to everyone that replied - it really helped out a lot. I tried posting a couple replies this afternoon but for some reason they never showed up - I must have done something wrong.....hopefully this one posts. After all the input, i feel a lot more confident with purchasing a Husky/Speeco model. I had read a few complaints about exhaust blowing in your face when using them in the vertical position which is why I'm also considering the Ariens 27 ton model (the engine is mounted all the way towards the front, plus it has fenders, and the comments on the Subaru engine were good too) but the deal going on at TSC right now on the 28 ton husky, 100 bucks off, free assembly, and free hydraulic oil, is a little better deal than the Ariens. Anyone have any final thoughts on the Ariens 27 ton vs. the Husky 28 ton. Looks like I've pretty much come down to these two. I'm thinking either one I get will be a pretty good splitter!

I have been to that one. It reminds me of the old Quality Farm and Fleet which I liked waaayyyy better than TSC. There is a Family Farm and Home going in the old Corunna KMart building. The signs are up but I do not know when the opening is going to happen.

Family Farm & Home is owned by the same family that had the Quality Farm & Fleet stores.

Been to the one in Swartz Creek a few times, nice place, IMO, way better than Tough Shrit Co.

Ed

:msp_sneaky: Railroaders!!!

come on the could have picked a better name than that :laugh:

They got de-railed every time we came to town...:msp_sneaky:

But had much better looking cheerleaders than we had...:bang:

Who am I kidding...
Everyone had better looking cheerleaders than us...:msp_thumbdn:

I heard it's supposed to open in March.

Checked out the Family Farm and Home site - only two splitters listed on the site were the 34 ton Swisher for 1799 and the 28 ton Swisher for 1499 - both had Briggs & Stratton engines

Checked out the Family Farm and Home site - only two splitters listed on the site were the 34 ton Swisher for 1799 and the 28 ton Swisher for 1499 - both had Briggs & Stratton engines

Another little thing to check on the splitters is their "cycle time" and how many GPM the pumps are...
For instance, if 34 and 28 ton both have a 13gpm pump, the 34 will have a slower "cycle time"..
Sometimes finding that nice balance between splitting force and ram speed is the ticket to happy splitting...

The 28 ton Huskee has an 11gpm pump. I wish it were faster, but I don't let the ram go all the way back.

I assume it takes more horsepower as pump capacity increases?

The 28 ton Huskee has an 11gpm pump. I wish it were faster, but I don't let the ram go all the way back.

I assume it takes more horsepower as pump capacity increases?

Yes, but not as much as one would think.
Your 28 ton should use a 4.5" cylinder???
I think???
How many HP you running it with?

Eagles???

I'm an Eagle myself - 2001 graduate. Of course, our cheerleaders weren't much to look at either. I think the squad leader had a certain criteria they had to meet and it sure wasn't pretty. I'll never figure out how they lifted them off the ground...

Yes, but not as much as one would think.
Your 28 ton should use a 4.5" cylinder???
I think???
How many HP you running it with?

I'll have to double check on the cylinder, but I think you're right. The Honda is a 190 GC. Not sure on the HP rating, it doesn't tell me.

I'll have to double check on the cylinder, but I think you're right. The Honda is a 190 GC. Not sure on the HP rating, it doesn't tell me.

~ 6 HP... And that's why they coupled it with an 11 gpm pump. Same motor, same pump on the 22ton...
Only difference is the hydraulic cylinder capacity...
28ton should have more capacity, therefore, more tonnage, but at a loss of some cycle time. Not much mind you, but some...
The gpm pump rating is at the low pressure stage also. when the pump goes into it's second stage, the output of the pump is cut dramatically. to like 4 gpm or less... But at a higher pressure.. ~ 2500-3000 lbs.

Latest posts

Back