Box Store Log Splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaTrapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a log splitter. Not going to use it commercially, but just need something to split trees that may fall down on my property over the course of the year due to storms and firewood needs.

I would like the TSC Countyline, but I have watched the price jump up 500-600 dollars since 2020.

I can find Champion Log splitters for a good bit cheaper.

I am open to other makes too.

Input is appreciated

I am in the market for a log splitter. Not going to use it commercially, but just need something to split trees that may fall down on my property over the course of the year due to storms and firewood needs.

I would like the TSC Countyline, but I have watched the price jump up 500-600 dollars since 2020.

I can find Champion Log splitters for a good bit cheaper.

I am open to other makes too.

Input is appreciated

I have a 34-Ton Champion. I've only used it twice so far but it does the job. Got it from Home Depot.

I bought it last year for ~$1800.00.

Only issue is that the pin that holds the lever to operate the splitter fell out in transit. I didn't think to make sure the pin was bent to prevent it from working itself out.

I bought a TSC County Line 25 Ton back in 2021 I believe when Covid was in full force. It was slim pickings back then due to supply chain issues. My other choices were Home Depot or Lowes. TSC had the best reviews and was priced similar. Both Home Depot and Lowes units had thinner grade I beams, poor looking welds, and were rusting on the sales floors (not a big deal) and just didn't look as rugged as TSC.
So far, in splitting mostly 8-24"ash, it's been great. Honda knock off motor, has a 3/4 gallon fuel tank. If I run a tank dry, I know I've split a lot of wood.
Additionally, the TSC's offering has the tallest beam. In being tall, it matters.
Cost back then was $1150 plus tax. Today it's $1550 plus tax. I justified that cost , comparing it to renting . If I were younger, and it was available back then it would have been an Iron and Oak.
You'll definitely want a log catcher. I made mine as I wanted a stronger and larger one than TSC's.
If you do go "big box", take a good look at the fuel tank and carb before purchase. It's all over the internet that these motors uncovered will allow water intrusion. Check the main bolts on the beam to axle for correct tightening. Check the hydraulic hoses for kinks also as their assembly staff at TSC may have not assembled properly.
Hope this helps, good luck.

My TSC 25 ton has been pretty decent. I use it for about 20-30 cords a year so it gets used. Thinking of buying another. If you go the TSC route check several stores. One store 10 miles north of me is $1,449. One store 15 miles south of me is $1,199. :wtf:
i like those TSC splitters. the ones that split vertical or horizontal. mine is horizontal. would be nice to go vertical for these chunks i scrounged up yesterday, couple houses down from me.
P1010025.JPG

Yes, horizontal only sucks.

You start lifting heavy stuff onto the horizontal only splitter and you will get yourself horizontal permanently before long.

I have a 37 ton Horiz/vert splitter and might look for a used hyd lift splitter for the big stuff or thinking about adding hyd lift to this one.

Big stuff splitting even vertical is not fun.

I have a 27 ton Champion that is a work horse for me. I split 98% in the horizontal layout. I use it maybe 20 hours a year and also loan it out to friends as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_090355520.jpg
    IMG_20211203_090355520.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211025_074606045.jpg
    IMG_20211025_074606045.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230627_082216.jpg
    20230627_082216.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Best bet if you don't need one right away is to advertise on local marketplace sites that you are looking for one. Lots of people buy them, split a bit of wood and decided to buy split wood.

This^

You can find real nice, used machines for a fraction of buying new. These are simple machines so its hard to hide any problems. Basically look for a good running engine, major wear on the splitter head (or pusher) where it rides on the beam, straight beam and look for any leaks.

Champion power equipment makes good stuff. I would feel comfortable recommending them. I have owned a few of their generators and they are a top notch product.
I have looked over their splitters at Home Depot and they look to be as well built as the Tractor supply splitters.
Honestly I wish I had bought a new Champion instead of the used home built one I have. I spent so much money to make everything right in it, I would have spent less just buying the new Champion.

Best bet if you don't need one right away is to advertise on local marketplace sites that you are looking for one. Lots of people buy them, split a bit of wood and decided to buy split wood.
I found a 40t Countyline splitter on Craigslist this fall for 1600. The previous owner was moving south and needed to get rid of it after splitting 5 cords. It had zero blemishes on the wedge before I got my grubby wood in it haha

Latest posts

Back