Making a D Carb Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
A piece of 0.250" brass stock chucked in the lathe and drilled out with a 0.201" bit to a depth of 9/16" from each side:
IMG_5868-800.jpg A carb screw inserted for reference:
IMG_5870-800.jpg

Dinged with a small ball-peen hammer:
IMG_5873-800.jpg Add some JB Kwik epoxy and a rounded off old #1 Phillips driver:
IMG_5892-800.jpg
IMG_5895-800.jpg
I'll paint it orange on a warmer day.

About 6 months ago I grabbed a 4-pc set (Spline, D, Double-D, Pac Man) off eBay from a seller in Israel for around $50 shipped. Shortly after they stopped listing them (or eBay was removing the listings).

That was sweet,

thanks for the idea.

I made a splined one for me craftsman blower, can't remember the size drill used.

Just pounded it over the splines a couple times and the soft brass took the spline.

Then took a long dowel pin and it looks like the valve cover fasteners I had on me old mopar!

That was sweet,

thanks for the idea.

I made a splined one for me craftsman blower, can't remember the size drill used.

Just pounded it over the splines a couple times and the soft brass took the spline.

Then took a long dowel pin and it looks like the valve cover fasteners I had on me old mopar!
My first thought was also to use the screw as a broaching tool, but when I was looking for some appropriate stock I ran into the nylon bits and thought about melting it in. It actually feels like it might hold up OK.

What do you think of Copper?
Is it soft enough?
I was thinking about Copper Pipe.
I have a small 2/stroke tiller that I need to adjust.

I think brass seems more appropriate. I want to start with a larger diameter piece, drill it and broach it, and then turn it down on the outside. I don't have any stock here so it'll have to wait until I go back to work and can use the machine shop there.

Nice tool building!

I was thinking on the splines..coat them with "no seize" chemical and just shove a piece of tubing over it with jbweld, let it harden, pull it back off.

Do not know if this would work, not a lot of clearance on those splines.

Heat shrink and a small spade connector, with maybe some glue, I have seen mentioned here, then your regular small flathead to turn it.

This thread deserves a bump to the top!

I fancy myself as a toolmaker (cobbler)

I have made some slick pullers and presses in me day, always good to see other ideas eh?

This thread deserves a bump to the top!

I fancy myself as a toolmaker (cobbler)

I have made some slick pullers and presses in me day, always good to see other ideas eh?
Yeah, making custom tools is kind of a sport. The world is filled with specialized tools, they just have to be liberated from whatever form they're stuck in now!

But seriously, I would much prefer to spend time in the shop fabricating a tool that works than struggling without it and buggering the job and/or the equipment.

Latest posts

Back