Making a stock McCulloch SP125 Tick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My cousin always brags about the older Husqvarna chain saws like the 285 and 2100. Well he just got a 285 and wants race my SP125 with a bar length of two feet. I know my sp has more torque, but his saw with that one ring really turns up. I only have a .404 bar that is two feet with a sprocket tip, so I will have to go with this. I am also going to use Stihl .404 full chisel chain, and want to find a ten pin sprocket. I also know that the older 10-10 coils work on the SP125 laminates, but will the electronic ignition models work as well? If so this could give me the needed RPM. I really would like to put a good electronic ignition on it if I can. Any suggestions is welcome but I want to keep the block stock though as I do cut firewood with the saw.

I used to race a 285 when I started out. Unless you are racing in a 6" stick, your 125 should toast it if its running good.

We are going to cut 2' green pine. It runs good. I did put new rings in it and while I had it apart I streamlined the ports; which made it run better than my other sp125s.

We are going to cut 2' green pine. It runs good. I did put new rings in it and while I had it apart I streamlined the ports; which made it run better than my other sp125s.
I wouldn't worry too much. Its takes every trick I can muster to make a 2100 run with a super pro.

Don't pick a fight McBob.

I think he was taking it easy on the Mac. A "tuned 2100" will dance on a stock Mac.

Fred

Well he just got a 285 and wants race my SP125

Your right Fred, but I ran a stock 285cd back before it became a 2100 thin ring. He shouldn't have anything to worry about, as a 285 it wasn't real impressive. It would run right along with a 372 but that was about it.

Your right Fred, but I ran a stock 285cd back before it became a 2100 thin ring. He shouldn't have anything to worry about, as a 285 it wasn't real impressive. It would run right along with a 372 but that was about it.

I agree he has nothing to worry about, but the closest these frumunder guys have came to real action is Placerville. HAHAHAHA

Fred

Well.... I've been to Jackson and Winnfield to name two.

You????

Fred

I agree he has nothing to worry about, but the closest these frumunder guys have came to real action is Placerville. HAHAHAHA

Fred

Hmmmm well it doesn't say to much for you old mate at least i tried in virgin territory as it was my first in the states maybe you should pay your way to our neck of the woods and see how you go then you could see if you could better my attempt in wood you don't know and with a saw that you use for the first time that belongs to some-one else.

Oh it's only a 7,500 mile trip one way and then a nine hour drive with a couple of hours sleep before competing childs play really.

Then we'd see how you go about laughing then HE HE HE HE.

Mc Bob.

Last edited:
Back