Making deal with loggers to clean up tops etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've read in a few posts now that people have made deals with logging companies to go in behind them and "clean up tops, ends, etc".

They just cut 130 Ac of mixed bush about 5 minutes down the road from me. I'm thinking about contacting the logger to see if I can get at the wood they left behind.

Most of the hardwood was red / white oak, white ash, hard maple. There'a a lot of softwood to get around, but I'm young and foolish. Seasoned firewood is going for 175 - 200 delivery extra in my area.

Questions:

For the people that have done this before.... did you have to pay anything, or was it free?

Anyone in the logging industry..... is this normally frowned upon? If someone approached you about this what would your thoughts be?

:greenchainsaw:

From what i see in my area, you need to know the person doing the logging.... or the property owner. The loggers think that if you go in after them and take free firewood, you are somehow cheating them. Same with the property owners here. And neither of them want the responsibility of having allowed you on the property should you get hurt. I sure hope things are different where you are !!

It would be up to the property owner, not the logger. Some property owners might want the tops left for wildlife or something. Give them a call it cant hurt.

I'm confused, are you aiming to get this wood for an enterprise, or for your own use?

The answer to that would reveal an answer from me.

If you are aiming to make an enterprise, you have to jump through the hoop with the logger since he prolly has the landowners ear, and his own wallet to fatten. If you are looking to stockpile your own supply, a sympathetic landowner may throw you a bone depending on your approach.....

Make your deal with the landowner after the loggers finish their job. Unless the landowner is a firewood guy like me he will probably appreciate what your are doing.

tops

Ive sold timber before, and there was never even a question about the logger getting the tops, I dont think they had any intrest in them any way,. Some of them might have a market but not here in central michigan that Ive dealt with, Get a plat map and find out how owns the land some farmers will let you cut on shares, or take all, T,C, E,J,

I am going to look at a top clean up job on Sunday. The guy put an add on the bulletin board of a local bait shop, hardwood firewood go on halfs. I called him and told him unless it is consolidated to one area I would not do it for less than two thirds, one third. I have done this with my neighbor and its not the worst if you have good fast saws to make the production. Landowner told me he had 500 tops and some standing he would like me to cut.

Tommorow I am going to clean up after some loggers in a county forrest, its a free for all. Small tops are a biatch when it comes down to it.

My advice, find the landowner and give him a call. Maybe he will let you cut and take all of it. Make sure you get a better deal than halves if you cut on shares. I have friends that cut tops for free on logging company lands, thats the best deal, but get there early.

Last edited:
I'd say deal with the landowner for sure. BUT... Last year I went into a 10 acre lot to clean up the tops and told the landowner I would knock down all the skinned and leaning pecker poles(Which I Did). I busted my butt for 4 weekends in 3ft plus snow and after seeing the wood I was pulling out, All of a sudden he wanted a cut!!!!! That really frosted my nuts to say the least after he had told me in the begining he had no interest in the firewood ,just clean up my lot! I was for the most part at a loss for words(Speakable ones anyway) Soooooooo I loader up the dozer and he asked me why I was leaving. I replied...I have another guys property I have to clean up for FREE!

Just make it loud and clear what's gonna happen, And put it on paper if you have to.

I am with you on that one Blazin. Check out this post I found on craigslist.
He should be payin $50 - not charging it. I can get it cut, split, seasoned and delivered for less.

firewood - $50
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-01-29, 8:55PM EST

standing timber you cut and bring a 4x4 50 bucks a pickup truck load. im trying to clear 5 acres easily accessable. mixed wood. call 607 857 7458

Next month I'm starting in on some tops that a logger left behind. Weird thing is the logger was buying the trees for firewood. He sells by the load right off the highway. I got hooked up with the guy from the farmer whose land I cut on. I've already been in to look around and cut a couple of loads. Man did the logger make a mess of the timber. There are whole trees down that he cut and didn't want but was in the way of the tree he did want.

Check with the landowner. The logger has no right to let you in on the land and if he did charge you, he's just kicking back on something that is a by- product of his operation and he would normally leave laying.

Matt

Offer to sign a liability waive. I would never do 2/3 share that is a rip. Tops can be a lot of work. I don't think I would cut them if I didn't have a skid steer with a grapple. You have to handle the wood a lot in with tops. Usually around here it's free. If not they charge 4-5 a rank.

Scott

handling tops

Offer to sign a liability waive. I would never do 2/3 share that is a rip. Tops can be a lot of work. I don't think I would cut them if I didn't have a skid steer with a grapple. You have to handle the wood a lot in with tops. Usually around here it's free. If not they charge 4-5 a rank.

Scott

I didnt have much problem with the tops,.. as they have to cut a path to get the log out any way, Depends on what other options you have, 5, 10 miles farther away eats alota gas and time, Not a problem any more here in michigan its pretty easy to be choosey and get spoiled, because of all the dying ash trees T,C, E,J,

as a landowner

We hate to let someone come in to cut tops.. Like dad always said.. They will come when it is muddy, in a one wheel drive pickup truck with a bald tire.Knock on the door at dinner time and want you to come pull em out..
We only let a select few cut.. and they know to only cut when it is dry or frozen.And toss the smaller limbs into some sort of a pile or better yet down into the ditches and hollers.
I always tell dad if he says "such and such wanted to cut wood".,."Dad we do not owe him a dime"..If the wood rots in the woods so be it.. At least there is not a set of ruts going and leaving from it.
If you do find a landowner that will let you cut tops.. Clean up the mess and remember them during the summer, if you drive by and he is baling hay Jump out and offer to help.Or send them a fruit basket at Christmas.. A little bit of kind thought goes a long way in todays times.

Thanks for all the advice

Thanks for the advice....

The property is a 400 ac parcel.... the owner lives 1.25 hrs away, he split with his wife, and needed cash.... raped the land. I don't think he really cares about the property (will likely dump it now that the majority of the value is gone).

I think I may have caused it..... I called him about a year ago as I had heard it was up for sale for cheap. He asked why I wanted it, and I said I had been looking for a woodlot and the price sounded too good to be true. Next thing you know there's loggers in there, and just about everything was gone.... :eek:(

I'll talk with him about it. I know he did take a few loads of the firewood the loggers took out.

I want the wood for a few reasons.... I need to fill out my 2009/2010 wood supply, and I want to make a bit of extra cash..... and ok I'll be honest its a place close by that I can play with my saws :clap: :clap:

Don't know about ON, but in NH, the logger will likely have to "retire" the job in the spring - ie seed the yard, water bar the main skid trails etc. You want to get in before that happens. Also, if you sell the wood commercially, someone will be liable for Timber Tax on it.

The cash crop on my place in Louisiana is Loblolly Pine. I clearcut about 30 acres of it last spring because it was not producing well due to all the privit hedge in the understory. I'll be replanting next winter after I finish getting the site prep finished.

There was some mixed hardwood scattered around. I found dealing with the tops to be a fast way to fill the wood rack, especially the ones like this that were straight and off the ground.

attachment.php

Here's the result of less that an hour's cutting. Also, you can see the privit in the background that caused all the trouble. Some chemicals dropped from a helicopter along with a good burn next fall should take care of that mess.

attachment.php

Im a forester for a saw mill so im in charge of buying all the timber and setting up our logging crews. I get several calls per year from people looking to to clean up after we are done with a logging job. If someone calls me i tell them that i will talk to the landowner first to see if I can give the person the landowners information. telephone # and address ect. If they say that is fine then i call the person back with the landowners info. But any cutting and arrangments for the tops is strictly between the landowner and the person looking for firewood. The sawmill or the logger does not want any liability issues comming up if the person cutting the firewood cuts their leg off. In my experience most landowners who we do business with do not like all the tops and debris left over when we are done.

Latest posts

Back