Making smoker chips/chunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two smokers and weber kettles.

I take the small branches and cut them with my miter saw in fist sized chunks. The work great with charcoal in my ugly drum smoker and kettle grills.

The big smoker I use 14-16" splits, forearm size.

I don't soak the wood with water either. Tends to give off what I call dirty smoke just like using wet wood in your stove. I have seen a few smokers that have the Shiney creosote inside.

Chimney wide open and control the burn with the inlet on the firebox. I have a Brinkman trailmaster limited that I have modified.

I cut my smoking wood up bigger than most of you but I end up doing the cooking with it too. I have a Chargriller offset smoker and start with a chimney of charcoal and start throwing 2-3" Ø x 4-6" long chunks of whatever I'm smoking with on. Usually it's apple, pear, or cherry and very dry. I'll just keep adding wood as needed until it's done. Probably uses more wood than necessary but at the rate I'm going I'll never get through what I have put up so far in the smoking wood stacks.

I generally use apple wood out of my orchard. Small 2-3" branch wood cut into small chunks works good. Hickory can get a little overwhelming. The WSM controls air so it will smoke whether the wood is dry or not.

I generally use apple wood out of my orchard. Small 2-3" branch wood cut into small chunks works good. Hickory can get a little overwhelming. The WSM controls air so it will smoke whether the wood is dry or not.

I like apple with pork but don't rule out hickory. Try using less wood (like only two or three smaller than fist chunks) to reduce the impact but still provide the flavor. I think my favorite thing off the smoker right now (besides smoked eggs) is whole chickens brined six hours then smoked ~four hours over hickory.

I like apple with pork but don't rule out hickory. Try using less wood (like only two or three smaller than fist chunks) to reduce the impact but still provide the flavor. I think my favorite thing off the smoker right now (besides smoked eggs) is whole chickens brined six hours then smoked ~four hours over hickory.

I have two WSM's, the 18.5" & 22.5" for big cooks. I am thinking about adding more vents to the small one for high heat cooks of chicken. Low and slow isn't the answer with chicken. Without water pan and direct heat the lid thermometer will do 325 easily. I would like a little more heat than that for poultry.

What is your complaint with chicken? Just curious because on my 22.5 I'll do four at a time and other than the rubbery skin it comes out fantastic.

An overlooked one I've used is grapevines. We cut a lot of woot with wild ones all through them and some are pretty thick. Does a great mild smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back