Makita 6100 and Tsumura Bar Oil Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestique

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to this site, not really new to saws. I picked up a brand new Makita 6100 for real cheap and decided to splurge on a nice bar before I ever even ran it, a 20" Tsumura. This one to be exact:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-TsuMura...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I did my research and found I needed a k095 mount. It has a 3/8 sprocket, 0.050 chain. So I paired it up with an Oregon LGX 72 DL chain.

I ran it for the first time tonight. I tried the spray test but didn't see anything coming off of the chain. I chalked it up to a brand new chain and bar and made a few cuts which went well then took a closer look. The chain looked very dry to me and showed signs of excessive heat. I then made another cut with it and it was making saw dust. Ugh, so I pulled the clutch cover off and the inside is just covered and dripping in oil. Its going everywhere but into the bar it seems. Its leaking down around the clutch and is making a huge mess.

Some observations on the Tsumura bar. The oil port is smaller than the stock Makita bar, but is cut on an angle as I'm sure you guys with these bars know. I put some grease around the oil channel on the saw and pressed the bar on and the witness mark seems to show that the oil port in the bar isnt perfectly lined up. Is this normal? Maybe the top 10% of the oil port on the bar sits ABOVE the channel in the saw.

My next step tomorrow is to put the stock bar and chain on and see if its any better. I will also trying turning the oiler down but I'm not sure if thats really the solution. Did I get the wrong bar for my saw?

Correct chain and bar numbers. I’m not sure what you mean by “making sawdust” after only two or three cuts. Check that the oil passage holes in the bar are clear and not obstructed by debris that was accidentally left in the machining process.

I did that before, and just looked once more. Free and clear as far as I can tell.

Is the oil able to get to the unused adjuster hole and escape on the outside? Does the high point of the oil port on the bar allow an escape path?

The oil seems to fling more off the bottom of the nose than the end. The drive sprocket is smaller radius than the nose, expect oil to fling off there.

Oil seems to be everywhere. As if the end the bar were dipped in oil. It’s even between the guide plate and bar where it mates up. I don’t believe I’m over torquing or under torquing the nuts. Just snug like any other saw.

The alignment of the oil port on the bar does seem off to me. I’ll do the grease test tonight and take a picture. In short, the oil port on the bar extends slightly above the oil guide groove on the saw. Is that right?

As long as all of the oil port is sealed by the plate your problem is elsewhere.
When the bar is almost to the drive sprocket problems arise in my experience, mix and match.

The fact you started oil between bar and plate suggest something keeping them apart.

I seem to be having somewhat the same problem on my Echo cs620. It came originally with the 27" bar but I told the dealer I was looking for one with the 24". They put a Timberwolf 24" bar which isn't as good, but gave me a nice Stihl chain so I called it good enough. Well almost as bad as yours, it pumps tons of oil but not much makes it down the bar. Least not to my liking. With this bar the oil pumps out and passes down between the nuts to the unused tensioner hole and runs out there. I have a Cannon bar coming for it so I'm not going through trying to plug it up, but you might want to give it a try.

I've opened a few oil holes up where the saw was oiling but it wasn't getting to the chain. IMO chainsaw oil pumps are volume pumps, not pressure pumps, so to speak, and it doesn't take much to keep them from working right. I'd try to make sure the holes line up right. If they don't either mod it or talk to whoever sold it to you about the issue and see if they can help.

What bar oil are you using?

Sometimes a thicker oil, such as the one Oregon sells in red jugs, reduces the volume flowing from pump to bar, and if the bar isn't perfectly aligned with the oiling orifice it means very little oil will get to the bar. It drove me crazy on a Farm Boss.
Try mixing a little ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the bar oil and see if it helps: with the Farm Boss about 10% in volume seemed to make the bar oil thin enough for the whole combination to work.

Latest posts

Back