Makita 6421 oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got around to tunning my new 6421 saw and notice a large oil spot under the saw after I let it set a bit to cool off.

The saw is new from HD. Should I contact HD or Makita? Or is it a easy fix I can do myself.

I readon'tdont want to send this thing off to Makita but If I have to I will.

Thanks for the help.
Dave

You were running it at wot to tune it right? If you did that the oil was pumping wide open as you were tuning and it's going to go somewhere. That sounds pretty normal to me.

Thanks for the input... I didn't think of that.

When your in the woods a lot of the oil gets taken off with the wood chips and in the cut, but when your just tuning WOT and then set it on your concert garage floor you see a big puddle, it made me panic at first.

Thanks

All my saws are oily on the bottom after they set from being run.

If they've sat a while and I clean them off, then no more oil comes out as long as I don't run them again.

Yeah, normal if run at WOT while not in wood for any amount of time.

Think of the heat and friction on the bar and the "wiping" affect of the kerf and the absorption via the wood chips/dust. Absorbs all that bar oil . . .

Did you lean the saw out a bit via your tune? Did you do it w/ a tach or just get it to 4-stroke before hitting the rev-limit, or what?

Mine is fully broken-in now, I think, and its still a tad fat, so I think a tune is in order . . .

You were able to purchase that saw new from HD, or as a retired rental? Just curious, my local HD's only sell echo's and whatnot.

You were able to purchase that saw new from HD, or as a retired rental? Just curious, my local HD's only sell echo's and whatnot.

If the HD store has a Rental Dept., you can buy the Makita 6421 new through that dept. via special order. We got ours a few months ago that way . . . for only $472 (but I think that price ends 7/1/11).

I just ordered one from HD for the above mentioned price of $472. My paperwork says it is a 6401. We will see.

I think I am going to buy the 79cc BB kit from Bailey's for $179 and install it as soon as I get the saw. Can't wait!

Did you lean the saw out a bit via your tune? Did you do it w/ a tach or just get it to 4-stroke before hitting the rev-limit, or what?

Mine is fully broken-in now, I think, and its still a tad fat, so I think a tune is in order . . .

I used a tach. All I could do was set the idle, & acceleration, as mine has the same black plug in the H screw as your's did. I really don't want to remove the plug till my 1 year warranty runs out.

I haven't had the saw in wood yet. Hopefully I will soon. With the tach the most it would rev up to was around 12000 rpm.

I got mine new from HD rental dept. Get-em soon as I'm sure the price will go up in July.

The book says 6401, but you will get a 6421.

I was called by HD yesterday and was told they couldn't process my order for the Makita. They told me the price is now over $800 for a 6421! The employee's in the rental department were just as surprised as I was about the price increase. They ordered the saw from the HD book, which the price was $472.90 and was good untill 07/01/2011.

I was given just about every excuse on why they couldn't honor their own price. I wasn't going to argue with them too much. I just explained to them that I wanted the saw, but didn't NEED the saw.

Going forward, the people that worked in the rental department were really on my side. They didn't like what happened. They thought I got screwed. I told them not to worry. It wasn't their fault. The good thing to come out of this is that I will be the first person called when the used saws go up for sale. Maybe I'll save a few hundred dollars in the deal.

I was called by HD yesterday and was told they couldn't process my order for the Makita. They told me the price is now over $800 for a 6421! The employee's in the rental department were just as surprised as I was about the price increase. They ordered the saw from the HD book, which the price was $472.90 and was good untill 07/01/2011.

I was given just about every excuse on why they couldn't honor their own price. I wasn't going to argue with them too much. I just explained to them that I wanted the saw, but didn't NEED the saw.

Going forward, the people that worked in the rental department were really on my side. They didn't like what happened. They thought I got screwed. I told them not to worry. It wasn't their fault. The good thing to come out of this is that I will be the first person called when the used saws go up for sale. Maybe I'll save a few hundred dollars in the deal.

Bummer!:msp_mad: Well Hopefully they'll remember you when a rental saw comes up and give you a decent deal. :rolleyes2:

Latest posts

Back