Makita DCS 5121

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old bar is OK. The old chain not that much. I'm still trying to fix it. Anyway this was mostly a test, I borrowed the jonsered Bar and chain to see how the makita performs.
O use this wood for fire. Now in the spring. I make the fire only in the evening. It's my last reserve of firewood after this hard winter.

I see you are getting some bigger wood this year. Is good hardwood difficult to aquire in Romania, or do you just cut whatever is available cheaply.

I have been putting a few tanks through the Maruyama (Makita EA5000) and that saw is really impressing me. It keeps getting more powerful and it revs so fast it makes limbing a blast. It is by far my favourite saw at the moment.

It is not hard to aquire. Just expensive. This batch is from my own Forrest. I just payed for transportation and paperwork.

About the EA5000 or Ea5000p.. I still dream about that saw... been trying to sell mine to get that one.. I think it's more of a desire of mine instead of a real practical reason. I dont think it's that much of a difference between those saws and mine.
IMG-20171026-WA0001.jpg

Hell John: I have exact same saw w/ 18" and encountered exact idle issue but took a slightly different approach to resolve it but I think our outcomes are similar. Step 1: I took the muffler apart, examinined closely then tossed the spark arrestor screen. Step 2: tuned the idle speed w/ a tach then proceed to some mild cutting to break it in, during that process I did not encounter any erratic idling either cold or warm starts.

Week 2: Took the muffler apart and gutted the catalytic converter assembly ( circular pipe within the muffler housing w/ honey comb titanium mesh which greatly restricted the air flow). Took a dremel then enlarged the muffler exhaust port approx 50%.

After a quick test run I quickly realized that carb was running way too "lean", took out my micro soft wire cutters which was barely small enough to reach into the limiters, gutted both tabs off the limiter.

Finally, retune the saw using a tach, idle speed, L/H all accounted for based on manufacture's spec where idle=2500 rpm and max rpm is just under 13500.

Almost 3 yrs and near 6-7 cords later, the saw is cutting as good as day one.

Side notes: I run 40:1 ethanol free, also double check the spark plug gap to make sure it is @ 2mm. Mine was under the spec and had to be adjusted.

Hi everybody, first post on the forum so here goes.

Forty y/o from the Canadian Maritimes, but living/working in Alberta.

I know my way around a chainsaw & small-engines a bit, but I'm the furthest thing from a pro.

Today I bought what I felt was an exceptional saw for a really low price. A Makita DCS 5121-18

It's in ex-cond, starts after 2-3 pulls, idles a little "lumpy" but idles, throttle seems nice & responsive (under no load).

What I want to know is, what is the general consensus regarding this particular saw ?

Good aspects / Bad aspects ? Availability of replacement parts ? Originally branded Dolmar PS-510 ?

Any help & input is greatly appreciated, but please keep the comparisons to a minimum as to avoid the inevitably ensuing disagreements !

(Wait..., did that sound "bossy" ?)

Cheers, John

20150914_205849_zpsmvg6g1a5.jpg

20150914_205521_zpsftpeykwu.jpg

20150914_205611_zps4pv0motk.jpg

What screws are this? They are not caps
I tried pulling them out. The saw might be a little lean. I wanna rich it a lil

IMG_20171031_074251.jpg

Hard to see in your pic but on my Maruyama they are splined screws and require a special splined screwdriver. You can get a whole set of these special screwdrivers on ebay quite cheaply.

Not really. just one tank. I'll use more and get back to you. Muffler and sparkplug looks good as of now

I've used untill now Makita red, stihl red, Dolmar green synthetic, stihl hp ultra synthetic and this Motul. I can't distinguish any vizibile change in quality.

Latest posts

Back