Makita/Dolmar Australia...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a bit more complex than a USA dealer puting "x"% mark up and a Aus dealer puttting "y"% mark up.....

the aussies dealers are getting them more expensive to begin with. consider the distance travelled to get here, consider the cost of fuel in each country, consider the average wage and taxes.......

America is a great place, but not the nirvana that some may believe or have you believe....

everything has its price

Serg

its a bit more complex than a USA dealer puting "x"% mark up and a Aus dealer puttting "y"% mark up.....

the aussies dealers are getting them more expensive to begin with. consider the distance travelled to get here, consider the cost of fuel in each country, consider the average wage and taxes.......

America is a great place, but not the nirvana that some may believe or have you believe....

everything has its price

Serg

I agree it's more complex Serg. I would think that the Aussie dealers are also getting shafted with their cost. I also realise that it's not as simple as dealers importing their own kits from the US. You wouldn't have a dealership long if you were caught doing this.
The company I work for imports stuff all the time. Just recently we started importing our own fertiliser direct from the manufacturers overseas. It was only then that we realised that the Australian importers (middle men) were making around a 15% margin while we had to go in at a 4% mark up to win business. Nobody should be blamed when customers go to the cheapest source, but it pays to let the more expensive source know they're expensive occasionally...

everything has its price

Serg

Serg, I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a dealer markup situation, as I wrote in that email, Makita's dealers are willing to discount to sell saws, and they are almost competitive with US prices, but the RRP of that filter kit is 1/4 the price that some dealers are selling DCS7901's here, and that's just crazy. In the US the kit is 1/10 the price of a saw.

The couple of kits they brought in were to test the water, I've been in contact with them for several months over this and the last I spoke pricing hadn't been confirmed.
If it is indeed a situation of the German sell price to the Australian division, and lets remember here that both companies are wholly owned subsidiaries of Makita Japan, not an independent manufacturer selling to an independent importer, it's outright gouging to increase the corporate (parent) profit.
It was mentioned to me in prior correspondence that "Pricing has not been set yet. In the past we have had issues with purchasing larger stock weights to reduce our buy price from Germany. We have however overcome this issue and you should see better pricing in the market place."
Not yet it hasn't....

Howdy,
I find it really strange that outside the US market the 7301, and 7901 are available. I have asked people way up the food chain at Makita, who owns who? It wasn't very well received by their C-level personnel. You have to stir up once in awhile or things won't change. Lets face it, the price you pay for something used to be cost (manufacturing, warehousing, shipping etc...) plus a margin to keep business viable. These days it's a lot more of "What price will a particular market hold still for?"
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I find it really strange that outside the US market the 7301, and 7901 are available.
<snip>
Regards
Gregg

Gregg, unlike the US, Dolmar and Makita saws here are all distributed and controlled by Makita OPE, and the decision has been made to drop the Dolmar name after over forty years of being in the market.
Who can work out the marketing gurus at times, we can't get the 5100S, that's a US specific model only yet the rest of our saw range tends to mimic the NA offering in terms of spec, not European. Certain brushcutters aren't available, etc.

My stepfather used to run the tool section for a large hardware store in a large regional town, so had to deal with Makita all the time and has said they were a strange crowd for a corporate here who rode their sales staff/reps very hard. The really strange thing is the put no money into OPE at all, and they definitely left Dolmar to languish. I've said in the past it was like the 'bastard' child no one would talk about and wished just went away. My nearest dealer pushes Husky, purely as they help substantially with marketing $ and support, Makita give them bugger all for their Dolmar OPE.

...bastard child?

...so to you Aussies, how does a DCS500/45 sound for $649? Or is it too risky given the attitude of the local Makita crowd?

My local Mitre 10 has one on special for that price, and it looks like a quality piece of kit. Value wise it would seem that eats the pants off an equivalent Stihl or Husky as sold by local retailers.

Then again, I do have an alternative in mind, buy on ebay a 346xp at US $499 plus $110 USPS and with the AUD being so strong, that's AU $659 on todays exchange rate (basically ten bucks more than the Makita).

yeah that aussie dollar is pushing me to the us. i cant believe the saw prices in the tradin post on here.

everything has its price

Serg

As previously said, does not count for the percentage markup stated.

An ARB airlocker, manufactured in Aus, purchased/shipped from the States is cheaper!

Hmmmmmmm. :dizzy:

As previously said, does not count for the percentage markup stated.

An ARB airlocker, manufactured in Aus, purchased/shipped from the States is cheaper!

Hmmmmmmm. :dizzy:

if you made a product and your sales total in Oz was 1000 and a customer from another country comes to you and asks for a deal on 50000 would you do them a better price, you better, their volume will help you produce them at a better price......

its just plain business sense.

yes it doesnt count for the extreme mark up but if you put every thing into it its not the 300% markup you are all talking....

if you belive you can do a better job, go open a retail business, employing staff and all the usual overheads..... then come complain about wages or something else from the other side of the fence.

Serg

if you belive you can do a better job, go open a retail business, employing staff and all the usual overheads..... then come complain about wages or something else from the other side of the fence.

Serg[/QUOTE]

You OK there Serg, lol?

Are you such an authority to not question?

Who said anything about doing a better job?

You relax there Serg, you'll be right.

Yeah but......what about this Makita DCS500/45 for AUD $649? Or should I just go the Husky 346xp on ebay for about the same price, new in box, posted to Oz?

Yeah but......what about this Makita DCS500/45 for AUD $649? Or should I just go the Husky 346xp on ebay for about the same price, new in box, posted to Oz?

Deluxe, I can't help you with this, not knowing anything about these saws.

Start a new thread asking about which is the better saw and take it from there.

I've imported saws from the States and you do loose any warranty's whether this a consideration for you or not.

Buy the 346, I think that DCS500 is the good old PS111i Dolmar, designed and first introduced back in the mid eighties. The PS115/DCS5200 had the same capacity but IIRC closed transfers and 0.5HP more. They were tough little saws, but are fairly old school theses days.
The DCS500 has nothing in common with the PS5100S or the slightly detuned DCS5001 we get here, they are two very different saws separated by nearly two decades in design.

I'd import a 346 or a 5100S for the same money, oh, and Norwest Tools in Sydney have the DCS500 for $622 incl GST, but it'd cost a few $ for freight to you.

[/Serg

Who said some of us haven't opened retail businesses and have had to pay wages etc?
I have a few friends in business in South Australia who do nothing but bit*h and moan about the price of staff wages, just after one of them has bought their 5th investment property on the Gold Coast. This same guy has also been threatened with legal action for paying below the award wage...
Same goes for the old whining farmers that I deal with every day. They'll carry on about chemicals going up 2% in price and how they can hardly afford to eat and then when they've knocked the chemical price down to the point where you nearly have to pay them to take it they walk outside and jump into their new Toyota Landcruiser Sahara V8 Twin Turbo Diesel valued at $110k...

In regard to wages, some people value their employees enough to pay them well, others class them as just plain old sh*tkickers who should feel lucky to even have a job. These employers are the ones that have a continuous staff turn over and wonder why. They are also the same employers that stand out like dog's balls when they advertise for new staff every week.

We have a "Look Local First" advertising campaign going in our area to convince people they are better off buying locally than elsewhere. The good businesses do well regardless of what campaign is being advertised. The others forget that times are tough for many people so when they can save $400 on a television from interstate then guess where they go and you can't blame them for that.

Serg, if this filter kit was AUD$150 then I would probably say that is reasonable, but AUD$235 odd is just a bit too much of a markup (unless of course Makita employees are on $100k per year and they charter a private jet to deliver them).

Then again, if people are dumb enough to pay that amount then who's the idiot? I work and have worked in retail, I know what a reasonable markup on a product is. My family also has a soft furnishing's business involving curtains, window tracking and blinds that has been successful for nearly 20 years (fair chance that if I'm not at my day job or chopping trees down I'm hanging curtains. Therefore I play with chainsaws to counteract any gayness that may sneak in from the curtain side of things ;) )

Truth is myself and other guys like Rick want the chainsaw arm of Makita to succeed in Australia - they'll struggle with pricing like this...

Sorry about getting a bit off topic but I've been down the road arguing with dodgey employers over the years about wages. They promise the world then deliver jack and then take it personally when you leave for an extra $10k per year down the road.

Last edited:
Who said some of us haven't opened retail businesses and have had to pay wages etc?
I have a few friends in business in South Australia who do nothing but ##### and moan about the price of staff wages, just after one of them has bought their 5th investment property on the Gold Coast. This same guy has also been threatened with legal action for paying below the award wage...
Same goes for the old whining farmers that I deal with every day. They'll carry on about chemicals going up 2% in price and how they can hardly afford to eat and then when they've knocked the chemical price down to the point where you nearly have to pay them to take it they walk outside and jump into their new Toyota Landcruiser Sahara V8 Twin Turbo Diesel valued at $110k...

In regard to wages, some people value their employees enough to pay them well, others class them as just plain old sh*tkickers who should feel lucky to even have a job. These employers are the ones that have a continuous staff turn over and wonder why. They are also the same employers that stand out like dog's balls when they advertise for new staff every week.

We have a "Look Local First" advertising campaign going in our area to convince peope they are better off buying locally than elsewhere. The good businesses do well regardless of what campaign is being advertised. The others forget that times are tough for many people so when they can save $400 on a television from interstate then guess where they go and you can't blame them for that.

Serg, if this filter kit was AUD$150 then I would probably say that is reasonable, but AUD$235 odd is just a bit too much of a markup (unless of course Makita employees are on $100k per year and they charter a private jet to deliver them).

Then again, if people are dumb anough to pay that then's who's the idiot? I work and have worked in retail, I know what a reasonable markup on a product is.

Truth is myself and other guys like Rick want the chainsaw arm of Makita to succeed in Australia - they'll struggle with pricing like this...

Sorry about getting a bit off topic but I've been down the road arguing with dodgey employers over the years about wages. They promise the world then deliver jack and then take it personally when you leave for an extra $10k per year down the road.

i hear what your saying and totally agree......some here are making more out of it than it is......look at the bigger(whole) picture. Im not saying the price is good just that there is alot more to it.....

another point to think about....if we want to have the price and availabilty of the USA we will have to take on their population and their average wage....not something i want in Oz.

id love to see Dolmar do well in Oz, i think they are great saws. i convinced my mate to get a 5100 over a 346xp and i have one of those, i even did all the leg work and drove it to towoomba for him.

Serg

i hear what your saying and totally agree......some here are making more out of it than it is......look at the bigger(whole) picture. Im not saying the price is good just that there is alot more to it.....

another point to think about....if we want to have the price and availabilty of the USA we will have to take on their population and their average wage....not something i want in Oz.

id love to see Dolmar do well in Oz, i think they are great saws. i convinced my mate to get a 5100 over a 346xp and i have one of those, i even did all the leg work and drove it to towoomba for him.

Serg

No worries mate and sorry if it sounded like a personal attack, it wasn't.

For example;

Stihl in Australia over the years have successfully "conditioned" customers into paying more for their products in some regions over others.
For example, the Stihl shop in Huonville, Tasmania were charging 48c/DL in April/May this year. Everybody has a chainsaw there and competiton is fierce.
Our local Stihl guys will sell you the same Stihl chain for 77c/DL and swear blind their cost isn't much below that, even though I can buy 100' of Stihl chain from the Huonville guy for about 32c/DL with his markup.

Makita saws, while being a premium product, can't afford to aim at the top end of the market (and price accordingly) when the majority of the population have never even heard of Dolmar, or Makita chainsaws...

In saying that there have been some really good pricing on their saws from some retailers and not others.

<snip>
Makita saws, while being a premium product, can't afford to aim at the top end of the market (and price accordingly) when the majority of the population have never even heard of Dolmar, or Makita chainsaws...

In saying that there have been some really good pricing on their saws from some retailers and not others.

Yep, and is a point I've made several times in this thread.
Some of Makita's spares pricing here is very competitive too, e.g. their cylinder kits while being more exxy than the US sourced ones are much better than Husky locally, yet both are Mahle, but this HD air filter kit price is very much over the top.

It'll be interesting to see if I hear back from Makita after I mailed them last week, particularly after assuring me their pricing would be much better than it has in the past.

I've never used a 346XP or even seen one mate but they are very highly regarded on this site. As far as warranty you'll be on your own as even though you could post it back to the US to be fixed, they would also generally require a fuel sample if motor related (if the saw is siezed for example) which you won't be able to post.
For instance my Dolmar 7900 blew a base gasket about 6 months after I bought it new from the US. The local Husky guy fixed it for around $220. If I posted that saw back to the US for warranty I would have had no change from $300 despite the parts and labour being covered. You win some you lose some ;)
Personally, I'd go for the 346XP :)

Latest posts

Back