Makita/Dolmar or Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHICH ONE?

• HUSKY 357XP

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • HUSKY 359

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • HUSKY 365

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • HUSKY 372

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • MAKITA/DOLMAR 6400

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • MAKITA/DOLMAR 7300

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters
Yep we could have welcomed him into the UK 7900 owners club but I think he is a lost cause:cry:

always on the lookout for new members:cheers:

i wouldnt say mike is a lost cause, just overwhelmed by the choice... if he still had his husky 350, i'd push him to get a 70cc+ saw, but for his needs, probably not necessary.

i did vaguely offer to drive up and fell all his leylandii over a weekend for the price of a saw... but he's got the saw bug, so all is definitly not lost:)

365 is a very versatile saw for the money. But I would pony up for the 357xp it will run an 18" bar with 3/8 chain no problemoh, it is a little lighter for all day running, and impresses the ladies with its pretty orange colour.

TS:cheers:

always on the lookout for new members:cheers:

i wouldnt say mike is a lost cause, just overwhelmed by the choice... if he still had his husky 350, i'd push him to get a 70cc+ saw, but for his needs, probably not necessary.

i did vaguely offer to drive up and fell all his leylandii over a weekend for the price of a saw... but he's got the saw bug, so all is definitly not lost:)

Oi you, money is on the table vaguely, still got the saw bug.
As much as thinking of training!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

Whats wrong with the 6401:)

Nothing really its just heavy for a 64cc saw but light ish for a 79cc
And me and tree beard are just being smug cos we have the big un:rock:
Odd, no voting 365!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go on Saw trol get in there:clap:

You dont have a hope lol he is going to say 372XP over a 365 every time!

Nothing. Get it, it's the cheapest, it will do all you need, and if you can run it long and hard enough to wear it out, which you won't be able to, you can get a 7900 top end. It's heavy for the power but you don't care, just get it and get to work.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Odd, no voting 365!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go on Saw trol get in there:clap:

I voted 7300, because of the comparatively very low price, and his indication that the 372xp could be out of reach.....

With a normal price picture it would have been the 372xp. :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Its very close!!!!
No bids on the 365 at all!!!

I'd still buy another one...check out the lastest "Dolmar posts"

But specs, marketing hype, peer pressure, fads, and image don't make an impact as much as the raw requirements of this farm...my 365 is a base investment. When all my toy & hobby saws fail..I have the 365. Not the fastest or flashiest saw. Not the best on a spec sheet. (Hard to beat the 365's price /performance though!) It works well for this farm....Husqvarna should have marketed it as the "Rancher" vs. the 55 and 455..its perfect.

Last edited:
I had a 6401 makita. Great saw. I'd pick one over the 372 if i was buying new. You can buy it, run it a while, and then mod it to spank a 372, with still less money in it than the husky new. I ran a 371xp( which is mostly the same as the 372) and i really couldn't tell any speed difference between the 6401 and 371. THe 371 felt awful "revvy" and was easy to stall in the cut. It seemed like it wanted to run at peak all the time, and not much lugging power. But, for the price, the makita is unbeatable. I never had a problem with mine, i ran it a good bit too. And honestly, i dunno what i was thinkin by getting rid of it. I wish i had it back and the 7900 kit on it, but, i got cad, and im poor, so i gotta sell stuff to get new stuff.

I had a 6401 makita. Great saw. I'd pick one over the 372 if i was buying new. You can buy it, run it a while, and then mod it to spank a 372, with still less money in it than the husky new. I ran a 371xp( which is mostly the same as the 372) and i really couldn't tell any speed difference between the 6401 and 371. THe 371 felt awful "revvy" and was easy to stall in the cut. It seemed like it wanted to run at peak all the time, and not much lugging power. But, for the price, the makita is unbeatable. I never had a problem with mine, i ran it a good bit too. And honestly, i dunno what i was thinkin by getting rid of it. I wish i had it back and the 7900 kit on it, but, i got cad, and im poor, so i gotta sell stuff to get new stuff.

What would you sell your old 61 for?

Its very close!!!!
No bids on the 365 at all!!!

The 365 is a very good, affordable saw. IMO the 365 with a 20" bar in hardwood runs like a 372 with a 24" bar. If you are not cutting large hardwoods the 365 will be more than enough saw, it will still run a 24" bar with no problem, just not quite as fast as a 372.

I also think the 357 is an awsome saw, the price may scare some away, but this is one saw that flat out runs. For the kind of cutting that you describe this would be my saw of choice.

The 365 is a very good, affordable saw. IMO the 365 with a 20" bar in hardwood runs like a 372 with a 24" bar. If you are not cutting large hardwoods the 365 will be more than enough saw, it will still run a 24" bar with no problem, just not quite as fast as a 372.

I also think the 357 is an awsome saw, the price may scare some away, but this is one saw that flat out runs. For the kind of cutting that you describe this would be my saw of choice.

I'm surprised TS, i thought you were a 365 man:dizzy:

The 6401 will slice through leylandii like it isn't there.

We nearly planted a whole fenceline of those buggers to block out the neighbours junk paddock, but the local Forestry warned that canker seemed to be knocking them around a bit here. A number of the local t/bred studs had them in and have been dozing them out.

I'm surprised TS, i thought you were a 365 man:dizzy:

I love my 2165, but for 90% of the cutting I do, I now use the 2156 just for the fact it is lighter for all day running. I definitaly think the 365 is a very good buy for the money, thats why I have 2. But I really, really like my 2156, it is just pretty pricey.

This is what I said in the 357xp vs. 365 thread:

"I have 2 2165's and a 2156. I cut 220 trees out of my woods 2 years ago using only the 2165's for everything.(cutting, limbing, and bucking) the trees where mostly hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, beech and cherry), averaging 18" to 24" with some bigger up to 48"+. The same 2 2165's have also cut hundreds of chords of firewood with no problems. I have been very happy with these saws.I choose this saw at the time due to price, and have no regrets.

Just this winter I purchased a 2156, and it is now my go-to saw. It is much (noticably) lighter for running all day, and still is a very powerful saw. I believe that for running in softwood up to 30" it would be my saw of choice. And I couldnt see any problem running a 20" bar with 3/8 chain in softwood (although I have never tried). I know that with my 18" bar and 3/8 chain the saw still seems plenty powerful and fast even when fully buried in hardwood. It is my opinion why carry the added weight of the 2165 when the 2156 does the job just as well at a lighter weight. Also if you are limbing these trees, the 2156 absolutlly rips, so it would save alot of time.

These are my observations, hope it helps."

TS :cheers:

Latest posts

Back