Mall Model 6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW the brass instruction plate is on top of the fuel tank.

CONGRATULATION BRAD AND OTHERS ON YOUR GREAT FINDS / WHAT YEARS WERE PRODUCTION ?

:clap:
We're gonna have to have a two man race at the next GTG Brad. :cheers:

WONDER HOW IT WOULD GO AGAINST MY dOLMAR CL........reckon racing
2 manners you'd get to do a lotta catching up during the race......:) maybe cook a steak or 2 .You guys are going to have a lot of fun.:)
cheers

Reading about everyones Malls makes me want to get my DA211 running again. Who's going to get the 4ft log for the cookie cutting.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a DA-211. I love the sound of those twin cylinders!

Sorry you live so far away,, too bad they dont fit in the flat rate envelope...

the da211 is said to be the most smooth and dependable of all the twins that were produced. The kb7 merc motor has a sweet sound also but is a heavy bugger and I dont think it will rev as high.

My first 3 211's did not come cheap due to the condition they were in and the shipping. the rest I stumbled into and are in various stages of condition.

good transmissions, bars and chains are the next stickler for these saws..
they used both 9/16 or 3/4 pitch chain with 63 gauge..

I also have a few bar and tranny combos that have been modified to run heavier chain and also use a different mount on the tranny to hold the bar.

as you have seen with your mall 6 this old chain will not always interchange.

The saw that is on my wanted list is the Stihl KS43. Same problem there..
They dont cost much in germany but to get it shipped here is the hitch..

If you look at the mall saws and the stihls you will notice a resembelence...

at a recent west coast gtg I sat with mike acres, wayne sutton and marshall trover and listened as they told the storys about the conception of the chainsaw.

It was said that because Mr Mall was also german he had a part in helping the german industrial leaders , (andreas stihl) restart production after the war and was also privy to some design help for the malls.

Prior to the war stihl was sold through a vancouver BC co. and was also copied by seattle mill and mine during the war. (TITAN)..

I think a lot of this info will be included in the next chainsaws a history edition.. Shoot, maybe it already is,, I just look at the pictures:)

Gramme,,, mall 6,, 1945 through 48...........

ric

another great find brad :clap:

You guys are driving me nuts with these 2 man Malls, I really need to get my grandfathers Mall 11 down and post some pics. Trouble is its in the attic of the garage and the hole it needs to come down out of directly over a tractor I'm restoring that just got painted :cry:

I found grandpas tool box that he took to the woods with him in a cabnet the other day. In it was a cloth bag with 50 or so new Mall drive links 3/4" square ground chain amongst other things :jawdrop: He also had a tube of graphite lube maked Mall Tool Company with original instructions on how to lube a new chain. As I recall the saw looks like new but its been upstairs for close to 20 years. Once I get my house built I'm going to put the old Mall on a beam spaning my living room, grandpa bought the proporty I'm building on in 47 and he bought the Mall new in 49 or 50, him and grandma used it to cut fire wood back in the day.

My tear down of my 6 is almost complete. Running into some issues.

Clutch pads look like they don't have any life in them (thin).
Any good ideas on how and what to replace them with?

I can only get about 50 lbs of compression turning over by hand.
The cylinder and piston look fine.
Maybe I'm not turning it fast enough.
I'll be putting a closer eye on them when I disassemble.

spark seems weak. Probably new points and condenser.
Anybody have any idea where to get points?

I'll post some pictures soon.

I can't believe this thread, 4 pages long and
still trying to figure a way to get a saw from
point A to point B.
Why not just disassemble and ship it.

Lee

point A to point B.

Lee

They're heavy, and big. Plus, shipping might double the cost of the saw. Shipping would be a good idea if they "needed" the saw. I sure when ever Brad gets the saw is fine with him.

Another thought. I think the members of this post are having a good time just talking about the possible road trip, or who they could get involved in a possible "dasy chain"....

My tear down of my 6 is almost complete. Running into some issues.

Clutch pads look like they don't have any life in them (thin).
Any good ideas on how and what to replace them with?

I can only get about 50 lbs of compression turning over by hand.
The cylinder and piston look fine.
Maybe I'm not turning it fast enough.
I'll be putting a closer eye on them when I disassemble.

spark seems weak. Probably new points and condenser.
Anybody have any idea where to get points?

I'll post some pictures soon.

I see you found the research thread:clap:

I think we can help you with a few of those symptoms..

Natalie has done the work on my malls.. she is pretty good with them.

will need to check on those clutch relines though..

here is my nice 6 after Natalie pulled it down and cleaned out the gummed up crankcase.. I have another running 6 but it needs clutch shoes also so am going to get it relined..

Was also thinking about having some rings made. I have 1 new original to send in and have copied..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVhY-cXPNgw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVhY-cXPNgw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

They're heavy, and big. Plus, shipping might double the cost of the saw. Shipping would be a good idea if they "needed" the saw. I sure when ever Brad gets the saw is fine with him.

Another thought. I think the members of this post are having a good time just talking about the possible road trip, or who they could get involved in a possible "dasy chain"....

Well I shipped both a Mall 7 and a Mall 6 to the Netherlands. They arrived in 4 days and they cost was very good at under $300. I ship saws out weekly and I can assure you I can ship the saw for less that the price of fuel and time.

Bill

point A to point B.

Lee

I know Leeha. I had 3 Mall two man saws shipped to me from different
states. All were under $100.00.

So are you ready to go pick it up for me?:clap: Stop by and pick me up on the saw. I wouldn't mind meeting the donator of the BIL saw!

Man, I'm awfully busy But would love to be in on it.

I'll tell this one on myself, I started putting this 028 back together yesterday I have had apart for a year. I almost had it together all that was left was flywheel and side cover "I said where is the flywheel key". The last time I remember it was in the Stihl Zip lock bag, bought it new stuck it in the crank case between counter weights so it wouldn't get lost. I thought I washed it out with premix no way it is in the engine, I hunted everywhere couldn't find it. I tore engine back down sure enough it wasn't in there. I guess it walked off, off to go get one today.

Latest posts

Back