Man I just got po'd at a wood seller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...so after the local chemistry teacher stacked his wood he gave me a call and i came back with more than what i owed him and stacked it all very tightly to make up for my mistake.

Heehee! Stay away from those chemists/physisicst/materials scientists. Part of their respective degrees is spent studying closest packed arrangements and minimizing interstitial space.

Last edited:
I guess every business has cheats & liars, but the wood products seems to be overloaded with them. Short loads, wet wood sold as 'seasoned', softwood at hardwood prices, rotting punky stuff. You'd think they'd all get weeded out, but I guess new ones just take their place. I only sell what I'd want to buy if the roles were reversed.

I guess every business has cheats & liars, but the wood products seems to be overloaded with them. Short loads, wet wood sold as 'seasoned', softwood at hardwood prices, rotting punky stuff. You'd think they'd all get weeded out, but I guess new ones just take their place. I only sell what I'd want to buy if the roles were reversed.

+1. I have sold a very little firewood, and will sell some more if I can get the extra wood (after I supply myself and mom-in-law). I use the same mind set...I only sell what I myself would buy. When someone asks me about the wood I have for sale, I try to be clear on what I have available as to when the wood was cut, how long it has been split and stacked, the species of wood (as best to my knowledge...if I'm not sure, I'll tell them), and of course the dimensions for a "real" cord of firewood. In my case, 3 tightly stacked stacks of 8' x 4' x 16" wood...with a few pieces added on top.

Kevin

Curious, I would like to know that when a person calls their states department of weights and measures if they act? I mean does anyone have experience with this, I'm picturing a guy holding funnels and calibration jugs thinking,"is this guy seriously want me to come measure his wood?" I could be all wet here, just asking.

In this state (Oregon) the dept of weights and measures just defines the size of a cord. The sale of firewood by the cord is in the state code, so it is enforced by the state police. I think it is the same in California.

The ex-GF bought a cord of oak once and we stacked it, and it was about 2/3 of a cord. She called the guy, and he made good and bought out another PU load full. But it was crappy oak, it was soaking wet, and most of it was 2-3 inches in diameter.

The problem with all this is many are not playing
by the rules. I will say it is much more labor to split
stack and deliver any wood under 24" which is; what
all wood used to be cut at cord's conception. I see
it from both sides of the coin so, what I do is cut it
24", of course; I can burn 36" maximum so 24" is perfect
for my setup. 24"+4'+16' is the old school cord and
is what mine is cut. If the event of a sale of wood
does arrive and they ask for small stuff I will sell
it and it will be a cord 4'+4'+8' but my labor doubled
and my price did also! Honestly, what happens is they
being cheapskates will usually buy what another guy
calls a cord and it will be 16"+4'+16' and usually
not even good wood! They will pay less for their
hackbury face cord while my seasoned red oak
sets until it rots or I burn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Having said the way I see it from my perspective,
I feel the customers screwed their selves, so the
guy that sold them the hackbury was just the
organ! I feel much of the complaining comes from
people that were satisfied at the time of purchase
until, someone said the guy that labored to bring
them their wood was a crook. I feel the standard
of stove size should be set to 30" so that 24"
wood would be the norm which would take the
reason to cut corners out!

I will say it is much more labor to split
stack and deliver any wood under 24" which is; what
all wood used to be cut at cord's conception.

Actually I've heard that originally the wood was 4' long (hence the 4x4x8) and was sold to steamboats. They used it in that size.

Ken

You guys forgot the part about when the wood is stacked a squirrel is not supposed to be able to run through the cracks. Our squirrels are the size of wolverines here in the hills.

Having said the way I see it from my perspective,
I feel the customers screwed their selves, so the
guy that sold them the hackbury was just the
organ! I feel much of the complaining comes from
people that were satisfied at the time of purchase
until, someone said the guy that labored to bring
them their wood was a crook. I feel the standard
of stove size should be set to 30" so that 24"
wood would be the norm which would take the
reason to cut corners out!

Not sure if I am following your logic, but a cord of wood is a measure of volume. 4x4x8. It does not matter if the pieces are 12" long or 8' long or even 5' long. Yes, we are all happy when it arrives, then we stack it and find out we are short. For someone who uses wood as an ornamental decoration (fire place) being a little short really does not add up to much, but when I am heating my house with wood and I know I need X number of cords to make it through the winter...I need X number of cords delivered. Mistakes happen and the Good Guys make up for it. The thieves do not, they simply move onto the next victim.

There are guys out there that do noting but sell firewood and they do a damn good job of it, the others should either play by the rules or face the consequences if they do not. I do not expect someone to stack a cord then dismantle it and deliver it, but if you are new to the biz, do it once to know for sure that you are not cheating customer. If its your biz, you should know how many 1cy loader bucket make 1 cord, how hight do I fill the pick up bed or dump trailer, etc.

I think what ropensaddle was saying is if the customer doesn't know the difference between a cord of seasoned red oak and 2/3 cord of fresh Hack, they will go for the cheaper price thinking they are saving money. He may have a better product at a better overall price but the customer only sees wood as wood.

While we know what a cord is supposed to be when stacked out in any configuration the customer doesn't always know. Some sellers are willing to take advantage of this because his peers are doing the same. The customer is allowing themself to be cheated by not being educated in the correct measurement of firewood or the best types.

The seller , being in the business , should know the difference and be held accountable for delivering the correct measure of wood.

Sell it like they want to buy it and they will buy more of it at a better price. If they want three 4x8 ricks of 16" wood and you are only selling in cords they will buy from the guy selling ricks. If they want two 4x8 rows of wood 20" long they will spend the same for that instead of getting a cord of 16" or 24" because 20" wood is handy for them. If you want to sell it, sell it like they want to buy it.

If they want to buy green wood cheaper, not much you can do about that till they know better.

When we sell to a customer we give them what they pay for.If they want a full cord thats what they get.If they want a 1/2 cord thats what they get.
I have found that if we cut our wood to 16"/18"and 22"/24"you have the small stove guy covered and the fireplace guy covered.It also works out that we (more so the wood minions)stack the wood into the loader and dump it on the truck for delivery.6 1/2 buckets comes out to 130cuft on my machine.
We KNOW what we are delivering and get what its worth.
We also feel out new customers as to what thier needs are as far as length .
Works out real well when you when you get to know your customers needs and they love the fact that your going the extra mile to make them feel special and take care of them.When we deliver in the fall we remind our customers to call us in the spring so we are sure to have THIER wood cut,piled, and put aside for the next season.
I never seen a customer complain about getting to much but you better belive they will sure complain if you short them.

:givebeer:

I think what ropensaddle was saying is if the customer doesn't know the difference between a cord of seasoned red oak and 2/3 cord of fresh Hack, they will go for the cheaper price thinking they are saving money. He may have a better product at a better overall price but the customer only sees wood as wood.

While we know what a cord is supposed to be when stacked out in any configuration the customer doesn't always know. Some sellers are willing to take advantage of this because his peers are doing the same. The customer is allowing themself to be cheated by not being educated in the correct measurement of firewood or the best types.

The seller , being in the business , should know the difference and be held accountable for delivering the correct measure of wood.

Sell it like they want to buy it and they will buy more of it at a better price. If they want three 4x8 ricks of 16" wood and you are only selling in cords they will buy from the guy selling ricks. If they want two 4x8 rows of wood 20" long they will spend the same for that instead of getting a cord of 16" or 24" because 20" wood is handy for them. If you want to sell it, sell it like they want to buy it.

If they want to buy green wood cheaper, not much you can do about that till they know better.

Well yes on some accounts but what I was meaning was if all stoves
took 24" wood then it would be better on the cutter,buyer etc.
24"+16'+4' is a cord easier to stack and much less splitting and handling.
I would sell a cord of 24" wood a little cheaper than 12"16" or 18"
because of the extra labor. Fireplaces used to be built to handle
it and it was the most common size until the little baster"s started
being made. If I were a stove manufacturer the standard would be
set at 24" burn size. Price on custom cuts for my wood are higher
because I am not giving my extra labor away. If you are asked for 12"
wood you are splitting and handling twice the pieces as you would in 24"
This is why I don't sell it much because if you want 12" cords you will
pay me twice the cost of a normal 24"+16'+4' cord

Around here all I see for sale is wood by the cord,fireplace cord(1/3 of a full cord)and pickup load.Back afew years I would sell 4 or 5 cords a year for extra money:givebeer:I tried to get as close to a cord as I could and all of the people I sold to liked what they got and if they would have said something I would have told them that whatever amount was there is what you get for that price.I sold it for $70.00 a cord you pick it up,all seasoned red oak.Here is a pic of the same size cord I used to sell(4'x24'x16").:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back