Maple and Cherry prices in Massachusetts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborView

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what cherry and maple logs are getting, picked up at the landing or delivered to the mill? There is an area behind my parent's house with about a 1000'+ of nice cherry, 12-19" dbh and about 5,000' of hard maple avg. dbh 18". I'd like to wait until next winter to cut some of it. Just wondering what average prices are. I know white pine is getting about $250/thousand on the landing right now here in MA.

It really all depends on if it's a clear log , 1 side clear , 2 side clear etc .. Sweep of the log , heart of the log etc.. prices can range anywhere from pallet grade to veneer , it's hard to tell without seeing a picture of them . Maybe Mike will check this thread as he is in MA , Im in NH but prices really dont differ much . Also check the sawlog bulletin for current log prices .

Rob

Yeah, the grade makes a huge difference. I've seen prices for maple anywhere from 250 all the way up to 7000 for veneer. Can you guys tell just pictures of the trees? I'll try and get some pictures if that's the case. Thanks.

Here is a pic each of the cherry and maple. I think one of these cherry was 19" dbh, this particular maple was maybe 16" or so. Don't know if these pics will help, or if they will even be there. Thanks.

Maple: about 100 bdft ( 1 log FC 76) maybe $35-40 (F2).

Black Cherry: about 258 bdft (2 logs FC 76) maybe $70-80 (F3).

Forgot: International 1/4"

What is the Pathological Rotation Age of your New England forest type? Probably 70 to 80 years, you want to get a forester or silvist to cruise and evaluate your stand.

I know how many board feet there are. Plus, see first post, there is a lot more than the trees in these 2 pics. I'm looking at a small area of my family farmland about 4 acres in size, where I'd like to cut a little hardwood for logs next winter. We have another 300 acres of farmland that has been logged before with a cutting plan done by a state forester. I'm just looking for an "average" price for hard maple and cherry. As mentioned, I realize that grades go from pallet to veneer, but someone mentioned they might have an idea based on some pictures. I'm not going to cut everything, just some of it, and I'd probably bring it to the mill myself.

ArborView said:
I know how many board feet there are. Plus, see first post, there is a lot more than the trees in these 2 pics. I'm looking at a small area of my family farmland about 4 acres in size, where I'd like to cut a little hardwood for logs next winter. We have another 300 acres of farmland that has been logged before with a cutting plan done by a state forester. I'm just looking for an "average" price for hard maple and cherry. As mentioned, I realize that grades go from pallet to veneer, but someone mentioned they might have an idea based on some pictures. I'm not going to cut everything, just some of it, and I'd probably bring it to the mill myself.
need a horselogger?

Hard Maple is going for good $$ currently. Sawlogs (4 clear sides) you should be getting at least $1200/1000. And for the logs that have 2 or 3 clear sides again at least $700/1000. And yes if you have some veneer the prices should be around double the sawlog prices. Just do your homework and call several places.

Give Scott Allison at General Timber a call. 413 665-8998. He's still buying maple. If you have any oak, let it grow as the price is bottomed out.

Back