maple herbicide injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this sugar maple (with very poor form, had the top broken out during storm) with in the past few days has become very bronzed. the leaves are curling and are crunchy. can not detect any signs of spider mites or other pests. we have had ample rainfall, flooding conditions in parts of the city the past few weeks. as you can see in the picture, everything else is very lush and green. the tree well (mulched area) has obviously been treated with a herbicide recently. i am guessing this is the cause. any thoughts?

Do you know what herbicide was used?

For what it's worth that tree has some signifigant damage at the base, and I coulden't make out the root flare.

I'd do some investigation before you assume herbicdes. you may have girdling roots, and considering the damage at the base, that tree could still have problems pulling enough water not to scorch on hot days.

round-up. yes, it has been a past victim of repeated weed eater blight. i hadn't thought about the obstruction of water uptake. we had several weeks of cool (80's) very wet weather then suddenly mid 90's with full sun, so that would make sense. i was suprised when i saw it this morning. the crew that does the spraying has been very good so far for not causing any injury to other trees, but all it takes is one swift wind. it is definitely not a prized specimen by any means, but i always like to try and figure out what is wrong. i do believe it was planted too deep as well because i can't really see the root flare either. thanks for the reply.

time to dig and prune sgr's if you find them. Good work for groundworkers.

If a crew is present, most of the work can be done by entry-level employees, making the service more easily affordable. With a little training and the proper equipment, all but the most delicate surgery can be done by crew members. Many workers express appreciation of working with a different part of the tree for a change, and also of being trusted with increasingly technical procedures.

Latest posts

Back