Maple seeds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky 32

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the forum. I have an interest in trees. I live in Ireland and on a recent visit to Connecticut i got some seeds. One type is off a maple tree that has dull red leaves (not sure of the name of the tree?) the other seeds i got were off some green leafed tree that had green helicopter like seeds.

When i got back to Ireland i planted them in a pot and 2 weeks later some of them started to grow ( to be honest i'm not sure which type is growing because both types of trees seeds got mixed up) Anyway here is a picture of one of them, can you identify it anyone?

DSC02771.jpg

I hope it isn't Norway maple for Ireland's sake. If it isn't native, it will take off like wild fire and displace native species. Always a bad idea to take seeds to a different country.

I don't know what kind of maple but if it's a helicoper looking seed it would be some sort of maple. I don't know, Norway maples are not as agressive here in Kansas. It depends on the climate.

Back