Maple tree storm damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sick maple

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to get some advice on what to do with my sick maple. The snow storm in the northeast brought down a major branch(trunk) off the maple tree in my front yard. This is one of three similar broken branches. I have read to do nothing with wounds to trees, but this on is large. (1 foot by 3 feet) Do I treat it? Is this tree going to survive?

Thanks

all you can do is hope for the best, looks like a young tree, it will probably live, the danger is thats is weaker then it was, so long as its not a monster over the house or anything, that if the rest comes down it wont do any real damage to anything, leave it and hope for the best
i wouldnt paint it or anything

I am somewhat surprised by the answer given. I have a maple tree in the same condition and looks almost identical. Apparently they are a weak tree. I am by no means a tree expert, but I thought a person should trim the bottom of the break to make sure water is not trapped and protect the area from insect invasion.

Leave the wound alone and regular treatments of fertilizer

The tree has poor structure and I wouldnt be surprised if another section eventually breaks out. I would remove it now and replace it with a 2.5" caliper Maple with one dominant leader.

The tree has included bark which is common on many tree species.

Proper pruning, mulching, site placement are some of the things needed to allow any tree or shrub to be the healthiest.

Things criteria start at an early age, that is key.

One reply said to fertilize, why? has a soil test been done showing any nutrient deficiency?

Soil tests may show a need for fertilizers, but just to blindly fertilize can cause more problems than help the situation.

Far too many variables to discuss over a forum, find a local licensed arborist to give a site assesment of your trees.

... I have a maple tree in the same condition and looks almost identical. Apparently they are a weak tree. I am by no means a tree expert, but I thought a person should trim the bottom of the break to make sure water is not trapped and protect the area from insect invasion.

Yes the bottom should be pruned to leave a smooth surface. Many species of trees form a lot of tight forks when they are headed in the nursery and the sprouts are not trained for structure. Big forks with included bark can be cabled to prevent splitting. Mulch--no fertilizer unless soil test shows need.

branch issues

Yes the bottom should be pruned to leave a smooth surface. Many species of trees form a lot of tight forks when they are headed in the nursery and the sprouts are not trained for structure. Big forks with included bark can be cabled to prevent splitting. Mulch--no fertilizer unless soil test shows need.

Don't you just love included bark. People bring it home from the nursery. Single stem one leader yuyou just can't go wrong with that--

Back