Market prices for Oak and Birch Logs ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have 8 acres of woods. I am aiming to cut some trees, black,pin, white oak to make room for other activities. None of these I think will make at the most grade 3, so I was hoping someone could give me a Q what they would be worth delivered to a mill or picked up here. I also have some River Birch I aim to take out. Its been a while since I sold logs and lost track of the market. I sell firewood but if they are worth significantly more for pallets, blocking or ? maybe I would profit looking for a buyer ?
Thanks in advance for any good advice. Maybe there is a web address to find prices and or buyers of precut logs near me ?

Get you a local forester to come out and see how much you got volume wise (timber cruise) and see if there are any grade logs or tie logs or pallet logs as you mentioned.

Your forester can also tell you what the prices are on different products.

Around here, the small mom and pop outfits need at least two loads at 30 tons/load to make it worth the cost of moving in equipment and hauling.

Maybe call some mills as well. Some mills however, are reluctant to give out prices cause they fluctuate so much in some areas of the country.

A forester is a good way to go. You can also estimate the volume of saw timber yourself. Just count and measure the dia of all stems of good form over say 12" dia. There's very little volume in a tree until you get up to 16" dia. Most hardwood trees have three sawlogs in them at the most.
I could give more accurate info if I actually saw the stand myself. It sounds like a clearcut.
Were it my woodlot, I'd be keeping the trees and do some intensive management. Timber still is the most valuable crop out there.
Hope this helps.
John

Back