Massachusetts Microburst Tree Destruction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This weird wind, thunder, rain, and lighting storm took down limbs all over town. On the way over to check up on my prized Red Maple I caught one of the many trees fallen over power lines all over town. The tree I have been working on for a year now has lost a valuable limb due to a chain embedded in the cambium & sapwood layers!

I call this the what the FK storm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBS5cjGugU

Pull up your pants, tighten your belt then go sell a few of your water bongs and buy some ppe and maybe a better chainsaw. As for the tree in my modest opinion about the only thing you can do is maybe a well placed cut to try and clean up that break and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Pull up your pants, tighten your belt then go sell a few of your water bongs and buy some ppe and maybe a better chainsaw. As for the tree in my modest opinion about the only thing you can do is maybe a well placed cut to try and clean up that break and hope for the best.

Hey man that's not nice, I go through waist changes like crazy I never win. These are my grandfathers saws they suck, I just got hired at an autoparts store and I start in 2 days the first thing after I pay my car off is a brand new Stihl trust me. If you wanna laugh at me watch the uncut version I will upload, we resemble some of the worst prepared arborists (which we are not arborists)

Should I leave it jagged and see if it sprouts shooters before I make a clean cut? I was going to apply some more compost and give it a year if not then a clean cut lower to the trunk, it does help support the back limb but also has inclusive bark so I don't know.

This is the tree from that video on my way to mine:
IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Hey man I am just messing with ya, I know your heart is in the right place. Its just my opinion and I hope the real experts will chime in but I think if you leave it jagged its going to retain moisture inviting rot and decay faster. Not to mention a great habitat for all kinds of nasty pests. This is what I think would be the best idea if it can be done with out further damage to the tree. You would have to do it in more then one cut to prevent tearing.

maple.JPG

That other tree looks doomed.

Hey man I am just messing with ya, I know your heart is in the right place. Its just my opinion and I hope the real experts will chime in but I think if you leave it jagged its going to retain moisture inviting rot and decay faster. Not to mention a great habitat for all kinds of nasty pests. This is what I think would be the best idea if it can be done with out further damage to the tree. You would have to do it in more then one cut to prevent tearing.

maple.JPG

That other tree looks doomed.

Here is a close up of the break:
IMG_3800.jpg

It kind of is cup shaped so it would retain water, I was just following the old growth guide about natural breaks and response. Here is a better photo:

IMG_3796.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the next limb over and the restricting or bottle necked section, maybe it healed itself from another chain but the chain is definitely not in there that bark looks old:
IMG_3796-Copy.jpg

gg.jpg

Hate to say it but the Norway Maple presents a hazard to the wires and to pedestrians and should probably just come down. The Silver Maple doesn't look too good either. If there is no target, you could leave it alone and see what happens.

Hate to say it but the Norway Maple presents a hazard to the wires and to pedestrians and should probably just come down. The Silver Maple doesn't look too good either. If there is no target, you could leave it alone and see what happens.

The giant tree is a dominate acer rubrum so it is of value for its species, only one branch poses future damage, cars are no longer stores near it and it's out of reach of the sidewalk and house. Private property no reason for anyone to be on it, and it was my first tree I took under my wing so I would like to keep it. If that limb stub shows viggerious sprouting then I have the beginning of a pollard ha

The giant tree is a dominate acer rubrum so it is of value for its species, only one branch poses future damage, cars are no longer stores near it and it's out of reach of the sidewalk and house. Private property no reason for anyone to be on it, and it was my first tree I took under my wing so I would like to keep it. If that limb stub shows viggerious sprouting then I have the beginning of a pollard ha

Sorry for the mis-ID. I can make out some of the leaves now and agree with you.

My advice is to just wait til Oldirty ( or someone like him) comes by to block off the road and take the tree down. Doubt it will be that long of a wait.

My advice is to just wait til Oldirty ( or someone like him) comes by to block off the road and take the tree down. Doubt it will be that long of a wait.

The tree close to the road is no concern its not near my street nor my precious Red Maple.

kid. you know what you need to do? go look for ALB. you walk around these trees so much and in that location. bring some binoculars with you if you scared of heights and have a look. exit holes, eggsites, frass. look for that **** too.

you like these soft maples and the beetle does too. looooves the maple. more people looking the better. you claim a love of tree so put it to use.

didn't watch the vids.. anything good happen?

kid. you know what you need to do? go look for ALB. you walk around these trees so much and in that location. bring some binoculars with you if you scared of heights and have a look. exit holes, eggsites, frass. look for that **** too.

you like these soft maples and the beetle does too. looooves the maple. more people looking the better. you claim a love of tree so put it to use.

didn't watch the vids.. anything good happen?

The ALB feeds on maples?? Did not know that, poses a whole new threat level to my trees. The video has some good footage from the storm probably worth taking a peek at if you get a chance.

who do you think they call when the storm hits man? lol

listen. go look into the ALB. read up on that little mofo. thing is a beast. learn your other trees as well because they like alot of our product.

scary f'n bug man.

learn about it to help fight it.

who do you think they call when the storm hits man? lol

listen. go look into the ALB. read up on that little mofo. thing is a beast. learn your other trees as well because they like alot of our product.

scary f'n bug man.

learn about it to help fight it.

Thanks, read up on it and watched a few youtube videos never realized it was this bad nor this close to me. From the ground I have no insect vectors but who knows what's up there. I have seen this beetle before and did not know what it was probably a year ago or so.

Back