Mastercraft 19 HP lawn tractor -- starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmatelot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Went to start the mower today and it would not start -- instead of firing i was getting a loud whineng sound -- gave it a little "quick start" and no firing -- just the whining sound -- would anyone be able to tell me the possible causes of this as I do not have the $ to take it to a repair centre. Thanks

Was the engine cranking at all? Maybe the battery is going dead and it doesn't have enough amps to crank the engine, but its trying? or...maybe a bad starter....sometimes the solenoid that engages the flywheel goes bad and the starter will spin/whine and never engage the flywheel...so the engine won't start. Hope i'm not WAY wrong here...

Dow

the flywheel was not turning -- I boosted the battery from the car - the plugs are old could that be it? -- would giving the starter a thump be of any use as in my younger days that worked for a car I had --

Ya...tap on it a little bit...might work. Unless the little arm inside that moves to engage the flywheel is physically broken off or something....I've had that happen before. I dont think its old plugs. check the wires to the starter, make sure they're not dirty or loose, freyed, cut. Never tried it....but can a mower be push started...by poping the clutch?

Sounds like the starter is not engaging and turning the flywheel, the gear on it might be stuck or rusted. Give the gear and Bendix a shot of wd40 and work it a little and see if it frees it up.

I will certainly try -- once I find it -- ( not too mechanical ) I guess I should find where the battery cables go -- This machine is killing me -- 2weeks ago had to replace a spindle assy

Latest posts

Back